Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Live Game Sweats and Online Tournaments / Skill League /

My First Look at The OSL

Old
My First Look at The OSL - Sat Dec 28, 2013, 04:52 PM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2013
Greetings all,

I have recently been implementing the strategy outlined in Sleepy's thread in my Open League play, as well as using Sasha's score calculator to monitor my progress.

I initially registering on PSO to see what it had to offer me in terms of improving my armature level of skill in online, and live, poker (which I still believe it has the solid capability to do) but it seems the best way to succeed within the league tables is through an almost entirely different style and strategy to normal MTTs on the site.

It’s interesting to look at how I chose to play the OSL prior to seeing Sleepy’s thread and after. Previously I had been pulling off idiot plays such as tilt UTG open shoving with some rubbish like K10 off due to the rage of losing half my starting stack in the first few hands against some bloke who decides to shove with J5 suited and I’ve woken up with something along the lines of AK, KQ suited, 10s, and even 9s (hands you would consider damn good pre-flop favourites against bingo players shoving straight away as is seen in every open league torny).

Now looking at my most recent results it is interesting to consider the way in which the current widely used strategy effects the way in which I evaluate my own play within the league and outlines how I was playing entirely differently before. Two days ago in T824280641 I miraculously managed to survive on 1-3 BBs for 2-3 levels (and hang on to gain a +1.16 score in the process, GET IN! Made those 10 second slots really count ). This was due to getting tempted into limping from MP1 for a cheap flop with AQ off (a normally premium hand I might add ) and losing all but 150 chips of the starting stack.

For my own pride it is important to mention that I had been folding all hands, minus AA and KK, in this and in previous open league tornys, as well as running the 10 second time gaps... Earlier on I DEFINITELY didn't shove A8 off in the CO with 1200 out of a 10k field left and 3 others in the hand... who would do such a thing... honest... (I did end up finishing 920th and gaining 37 points so i think this is allowed )

Here is the fatal AQ off blunder of which I speak:

<flashrichtext version="1"> <textformat font="Verdana" size="10" color="734012" bold="false" italic="false" underline="false" url="" target="" align="left" leftMargin="0" rightMargin="0" indent="0" leading="2" blockIndent="0" kerning="false" letterSpacing="0" display="block">()</textformat></flashrichtext>

I see this as a classic example of bad habits coming back to haunt me. I talked myself into believing its impossibly bad luck for him to have pocket 9s and I shove. Lets just say I've never prayed for an A or Q on the river as much as I did here... oh the shame. But, this is exactly how I have gained an understanding of the strategy needed to progress in the open league. Of course you can say I was in some way unlucky to run into pocket 9s here but at end of the day the small likelihood that his bet hints at him making a set on the turn is the likelihood which I SHOULD be considering within the strategy. If I play that AQ off I run the risk of making a hand on the flop and trying to gain value, only to run into a horror of a cooler on the turn or river. I can also see that my shove was basically just an attempt to get the money in and hope to god I was wrong to fear the worst. A call would have been dreadful due to the brick river but a call puts me in trouble anyway and besides non of these plays should have to be considered if the strategy to survive was implemented properly.

Overall, as a poker enthusiast who has an understanding of the modern game both online and live, I would conclude that the scoring system has entirely changed the school's aim to teach players classic beginner strategy and given birth to an entirely different style of play which has the primary goal of tournament survival and its relation to scoring system. Of course there are active PSO players who still follow classic MTT poker strategy within the open league but realistically the way to succeed in its own league has to bypass much of this technique. I find this a sceptical environment to harbour new MTT players but recognize that it still upholds its value in providing such a good set of information about the game as well as a brilliantly active community. However, this is the opinion of a player (me) who has just picked up the idea of playing in this new strategy and I must say I do not have much place/rite to comment on the system as a whole. Plus I have enjoyed discovering it and intend to carry on using it throughout January 14’ to see how much I can succeed within the league rankings.

Thankyous go to Sleepy for all the posts I read through on this topic that are connected/posted by him and also to Sasha for being far more skilled with programming than I will ever be via his handiwork within creating the most recent calculator.

Thank you for reading if you got this far. I managed to write quite an essay it seems...

WallyChomp

Old
Sat Dec 28, 2013, 05:07 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hello WallyChomp,

Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline. Here's a short video about PSO and what it has to offer you. Also check out >>This Page<< for more info.

We're here to help you so please feel free to ask any questions you may have and thank you for being a member of PokerSchoolOnline.

Very good first post. In the AQ hand, here are a couple of tips for you.

With AQ (or any other hand I'm going to play when it folds to me), I'm going to make a standard raise to 3BB+1BB for each limper (180 chips). I don't want to bet lower as this can give the opps the correct odds to try to outdraw me. If they get the correct odds, then they will gain chips from me on average. If they have to call a bet that does not give them the right odds, then I expect to gain chips from them on average.

When I flop two pair, the same principle is needed. Bets postflop need to be sized based on the size of the pot, number of opps and board texture. With 2 opps in the pot, a standard bet is 2/3 pot (140). If I bet less than this I can once again be giving them the correct odds... something that I need to avoid.

On the turn, I only have one opp left, so a standard bet is 1/2 pot (165). When the opp raises, I need to either shove or fold. Early in the month where I will get a lesser point penalty if I lose, I'll probably shove. At the end of the month, when the penalties for an early exit are much more severe due to my score going up, I'm going to begrudgingly fold. The key in the league games is the end of the month leaderboard and I don't want to be taking a chance and risk losing out on some extra money from the monthly standings.

Good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Dec 28, 2013, 05:28 PM
(#3)
Since: Apr 2013
Thank you for your response JWK

I've just realized I didn't analyse the hand very well and you've done a great job of picking up those loose ends for me I am aware of the strategy behind the sizing of betting but I think i put a foot wrong here because I didn't feel as if AQ off was a hand to be entering the pot with in the first place given that it was early on in the tournament. However, you're completely right, when folded round to me its definitely one to have a go with and I reckon I just lost confidence and forgot to apply standard practice to the hand. I really appreciate your input, it is certainly very helpful

Wally

Last edited by WallyChomp; Sat Dec 28, 2013 at 05:29 PM.. Reason: Remove quote. Too large.

Old
Thumbs up
Sun Dec 29, 2013, 02:09 AM
(#4)
Since: Aug 2010
Hi WallyChomp, All
Really a very nice post & glad to see ur aware of the "Strategy" & calculator.
Once you realize the "O" is not a normal type of tourney till U get down to sub 400 or so,
you can forget about all the best ways to play AQ if ur interested in going deep on the leaderboard. I'd take JWK24s'info just about anywhere else (MTT or SnG) but in the "O". Good sound strategy but the loss of so many xtra rounds will not get you V far in that tourny.
This month I want U to bring up one of the "OPEN" Greats each time you enter a tourney so U can see if your playing as well as you can.

Here's a great list to find one from:
PLAYER......times in Top 50....top 50 finishes(as of Sept 2013)

gude00................8.....50,21,16,36,19,32,42,1 1,
BlackTheWolf.....7.....1,17,50,14,14,2,32,
jesus_diaz_1......7.....12.6,20,49,39,1.
Bwenas_Me........7.....5,5,1,2,15,9.15,
aco asroma........7.....6,35,4,10,20,16,
Bettiko................7.....42,46,15,8,4,4,31
roberth9107........5.....44,18,5,14,4
eam1960.............6....44,23,17,44,13,18,
niwbliwbliw..........5.....5,5,21,19,
WittiDag..............5.....27,25,40,9,8
im1princess........5.....33,12,7,24,8
Keldraco.............5.....41,7,26,11,38
envoy_of_god....5.....4,2,7,24,7
zig zag 968.........5.....14,22,17,1,
Lyuda45..............5.....16,16,12,10,18
Nikolyok.............5.....34,5,31,39,2
McCormick80.....5.....39,39,11,43,16
ara..................4.....4,9,17,33
rapidus83...........4.....9,1,29,20
Lupodol..............4.....22,31,26,1,
Madamemarvin.4.....32,35,16,34
vasili.ivano........4.....46,14,5,23,
StarsKas............4.....30,2,11,3
dedrolan............4.....39,9,43,37
Richman 91.......4.....49,31,29,4
M1*PokerStar...4.....26,35,20,
ninioku...............4.....7,29,13,20
Samper11..........4.....38,36,9,19
Horunjiy.............3......5,20,38
if_u_wana_do....3.....17,3,4,
gkourgoulano....3.....37,10,44
tegobi1...............3.....38,42,27
carlos_1750.......3.....40,21,40
LadyLu7.............3.....43,24,9
zcapz..................3.....16,10,30
7iriu7...................3.....18,48,25
Totenkopf701.....3.....23,13,2
EasyChips4U.....3.....28,34,25
DWade199.........3.....12,5,44,
justphil52............3.....8,7,49
Dzharet...............3.....35,35,39
valyayastreb......3.....35,26,14
And these are only from the 'odd' months
I'm having some connection problems but hope to see U in January on the felt & leaderboard
sleepy

ps: Here's a little 'eye' candy
Odd Months Open League Money Makers(as of Sept 2013)
Bwenas_Me.....$3400 7
BlackTheWolf...$2700 7
jesus_diaz_1...$2000 7
envoy_of_god.$1950 5
StarsKas..........$1900 4
zig zag 968......$1700 5
rapidus83........$1700 4
Lupodol...........$1600 4
Nikolyok..........$1400 5
Bettiko.............$1300 7
if_u_wana_do.$1300 3
Totenkopf701.$1100 3
roberth9107....$950...5
niwbliwbliw.....$700...5
3ebra05..........$500...9

Last edited by sleepyolman; Sun Dec 29, 2013 at 02:43 AM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com