Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

Raiser's Goals Thread

Old
Raiser's Goals Thread - Sat Dec 28, 2013, 06:56 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Raiser's Rant #1

Ok, my head is officially fried with all this poker goal-setting malarkey. Don't get me wrong, it's not that I don't think it's worthwhile because I do but the problem I'm having is how to go about it.

I've read through many of the poker goal threads here and there are some excellent examples of how to go about setting them out for the year ahead but there's also ones where it seems little thought went into them before they were set-out.

I want to set myself goals for the year ahead but I'm looking to you guys to give me some tips on how to set-out goals and objectives. What should good poker goals contain?

Any tips guys and gals?
Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Dec 28, 2013, 10:04 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
Hi Paul,

I can help but you need to find something you want to accomplish. Could be next year (2014) or it could be a longer time frame.

Just like a company would do. They have 5 year goals that are then broken down in years, than months.

Ex: $150, 000 in 5 years. $10k in first year, 20K in second etc.

So what would be your goal?
Then we'll go into details

Old
Sat Dec 28, 2013, 10:33 PM
(#3)
Since: Nov 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap777 View Post
Hi Paul,

I can help but you need to find something you want to accomplish. Could be next year (2014) or it could be a longer time frame.

Just like a company would do. They have 5 year goals that are then broken down in years, than months.

Ex: $150, 000 in 5 years. $10k in first year, 20K in second etc.

Then we'll go into details
I know I'm only a noob here but I have heard great things about you could you help me in the same manner please?

Old
Sat Dec 28, 2013, 10:55 PM
(#4)
Sure, no problem

Answer the same question as above
We can do it via PM if you want

Old
Sat Dec 28, 2013, 11:12 PM
(#5)
Since: Nov 2013
Quote:
Sure, no problem

Answer the same question as above
We can do it via PM if you want
Thanks sent you a message

Old
Sun Dec 29, 2013, 01:23 AM
(#6)
I read an article by Jared Tendler where he suggested breaking your goals into two categories process oriented goals and a result oriented goal and have a 3:1 ratio.

For example a result oriented goal could look like :

I will make $X profit in 2014.

Like Andre Coimbra and Sandtrap stated in their goals for last year.

Your process goals could be :

I will play so many hands/tournaments a year to achieve my profit goal, then break that number down monthly and weekly or even daily .

I will identify leaks in my game and learn how to improve them, possibly by using tracking software, then maybe watch videos or read how to improve your game, I will do this study X amount of hours a week.

I will schedule regular breaks in my playing routine to prevent me from becoming burnt out, like one day a week, five days a month and four weekly breaks a year.

I am sure others can improve on this example, but I hope this helps, I think the I will bit is important you have to make a statement that you intend to achieve the goal dont be half hearted about it and write it down and re-read the goal.

Did you know Bruce Lee, Jim Carey and Michael Jordan all set big goals and achieved them.

Old
Sun Dec 29, 2013, 05:31 AM
(#7)
Since: Dec 2009
I've always found it difficult to asses where to set the goalposts.. since we can't always really predict our own learning curves accurately enough in advance, In general I would say it is better to set our sights slightly lower, and over shorter timeframes initially, we can always move the bar later, then we have limited the possibility of feeling dejected when we dont hit targets that were unrealistic anyway
the flip side to that ofc being if we dont set ourselves enough of a challenge.. we run the risk of coasting and not achieving our full potential.
So that last post from Rex with a heavier emphasis on process goals, really makes sense!

Old
Sun Dec 29, 2013, 05:49 AM
(#8)
Since: Jan 2013
I am no expert in giving goal tips, but since RR is worse in that aspect I will give it a go.
I would choose something rather realistic as my primary goal and something rather great but not so much realistic, as my second one.
I would also try and find ways to make the thing more interesting as a challenge, by putting some side goals here and there just for fun (like achieving gold star before June).
Good luck with your goal setting RoyalRaise!

Last edited by GamblingProp; Sun Dec 29, 2013 at 05:53 AM..

Old
Sun Dec 29, 2013, 05:56 AM
(#9)
Since: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by GamblingProp View Post
I am no expert in giving goal tips, but since RR is worse in that aspect I will give it a go.
I would choose something rather realistic as my primary goal and something rather great but not so much realistic, as my second one.
I would also try and find ways to make the thing more interesting as a challenge, by putting some side goals here and there just for fun (like achieving gold star before June).
Good luck with your goal setting RoyalRaiser!
I like this ^^^

I would also include training goals and volume goals but above all set things that will stretch you a little that you will enjoy. Keep it simple and as GamblingProp says add sub goals that will make it more interesting.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Dec 29, 2013, 05:59 AM
(#10)
Since: Mar 2013
different people prefer different types of goals
im more of a vague goal setter

so my goals might be, in order of importance

play well > stay committed/motivated (maintain good volume would fall under this category) > study/discuss with other players > keep good brm > dont get worn out from poker > have fun > make profit

profit is generally not a set goal for me because it is the (hopeful) end result when all the other things are in order

Last edited by ouchbadbeat; Sun Dec 29, 2013 at 06:02 AM..

Old
Sun Dec 29, 2013, 06:28 AM
(#11)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Cheers Sand,

Let me chew on this for a day or so and I'll post back here then, I want to give it some thought first.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Dec 29, 2013, 06:32 AM
(#12)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73REX73 View Post
dont be half hearted about it ....

Did you know Bruce Lee, Jim Carey and Michael Jordan all set big goals and achieved them.
Thanks Rex, you're right, there's no point in being half-hearted about it, I'm a believer that if you are going to do something then do it right! Anything is possible if we set our minds to it.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Dec 29, 2013, 06:34 AM
(#13)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stix144 View Post
feeling dejected when we dont hit targets that were unrealistic anyway
the flip side to that ofc being if we dont set ourselves enough of a challenge.. we run the risk of coasting and not achieving our full potential.
Exactly, this is where I'm finding it tough. I don't want to set the bar too high and at the same time I don't want to sell myself short either.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Dec 29, 2013, 06:38 AM
(#14)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Now that's an interesting idea! Setting mini-goals on the road to achieving an overall objective, I can see the benefits of that, good suggestion

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Dec 29, 2013, 06:46 AM
(#15)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouchbadbeat View Post
I'd be the opposite, I'm not a big fan of vagueness. I liked the idea you mentioned of keeping your goals fun, I think this is important because if we're not enjoying working towards our goals there's a good chance we'll throw in the towel at an early stage so I'll definitely be adding some fun into the equation.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Dec 29, 2013, 11:07 AM
(#16)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalraise85 View Post

Any tips guys and gals?

Thanks for starting this thread RR - will be helpful for getting prepared for next year

My venture into goal-setting wasn't the smoothest ... but thought it was a decent first effort, and a nice first step

Old
Sun Dec 29, 2013, 12:10 PM
(#17)
Most of you here have never set S.M.A.R.T. goals

Quote:
In general I would say it is better to set our sights slightly lower, and over shorter time frames initially, we can always move the bar later, then we have limited the possibility of feeling dejected when we don't hit targets that were unrealistic anyway
False, first you need to set long term goals, for example 5 years, than break it down in years, months, week and hours if necessary.

When you decide to become a doctor, lawyer, etc., you don't become one the next year. You need to plan over a long term. The same applies for financial retirement, you don't decide the year before retirement to start saving money.

When setting an ultimate goal, you DON'T change it, you can adjust the way to achieve it on specific times you've mention in your goals.

Quote:
Setting goals shouldn't be a challenge (let's see if I can make it), it should be work (I will make it). I wouldn't use the term side goals but more of a gift to yourself for achieving a certain step of your goal setting. For example: You want to make $1,200 in a year, so every time I reach the $100's level, I will play a Sunday Storm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouchbadbeat View Post
Absolutely, different goals for different minds, but when you set goals, it's all done the same way. Vague goals will get you no where, easily breakable, changeable, non interesting and unachievable.

Now, back to S.M.A.R.T goals.
Unfortunately we can't post links to other sites, but if you do a search for "S.M.A.R.T. Goals Settings", you'll find lots of info.

I've been setting goals for over 25 years. I had to learn when I became VP of a company and then applied it to my personal stuff. (paying my house in so many years, planning my financial retirement, reaching a certain score in golf, exercising and now poker, etc)

My original plan for Supernova started 3 years ago. When I joined PSO, I wanted to learn and become a winning Supernova player in 5 years. But like someone told me, in my profile I wrote in 2010 that "My goal is to build a bankroll to play the main event and 2 other tournament at the WSOP every year" I didn't play the ME but did play 2 other tournaments and will do so again in 2014. (Main Event money went for vacations and other tournaments). So I did achieve what I wanted to do and more when I joined PSO.

If anyone wants help, just PM me as I'm willing to help but I don't want to argue with anyone that thinks they know what they're talking about.

P.S. Yes Sam, even though I'm a young senior, I know what I'm talking about.........lol

Old
Sun Dec 29, 2013, 12:31 PM
(#18)
[QUOTE=Sandtrap777;474200]Most of you here have never set S.M.A.R.T. goals
False, first you need to set long term goals, for example 5 years, than break it down in years, months, week and hours if necessary. When you decide to become a doctor, lawyer, etc., you don't become one the next year. You need to plan over a long term. The same applies for financial retirement, you don't decide the year before retirement to start saving money. [QUOTE=Sandtrap777;474200]

actually the point I was making was (if you want to use the lawyer doctor, as an analogy, is that we shouldn't try to sit your final exam before completing our other first few years study! first. and to extend that . if we have the capacity to be become a doctor/lawyer . then studying to be a shelf stacker might be selling ourselves short.)
It was a fairly simple point that whatever our goals, our plans and the road we take towards them should always remain fluid. since none of us know what's around the next corner.. whether that be a huge leap forward in learning, or external factors having an unforeseen effect!

you may be a great poker player sandtrap, and a decent fellow to boot but please don't make assumptions about whether we have set ourselves s.m.a.r.t goals or not. there is no basis whatsoever for you to have a right to do that.

Last edited by stix144; Sun Dec 29, 2013 at 12:42 PM..

Old
Sun Dec 29, 2013, 12:45 PM
(#19)
Quote:
.................but please don't make assumptions about whether we have set ourselves s.m.a.r.t goals or not. there is no basis whatsoever for you to have a right to do that.

LOL...... I'm not, I guess you have no clue about S.M.A.R.T. Goals!!!!
It has nothing to do with being smart or not...lol
It's a terminology used in setting goals

S - Specific
M - Measurable
A - Achievable
R - Results
T - Time

LOL..... Now, did you learn something? If you're not sure of something, ask before jumping to conclusions.....

Old
Sun Dec 29, 2013, 12:51 PM
(#20)
well no actually I didn't learn a thing that I didn't already know (which is actually a first because usually I do from the things you post)... but since you have never seen/heard any of the goals I have set myself.. and since you didn't ask either you have no point of reference to base your assumption on...

Last edited by stix144; Sun Dec 29, 2013 at 01:04 PM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com