Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

This Is what TILTS me !

Old
This Is what TILTS me ! - Sun Dec 29, 2013, 06:33 AM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2010
This Guy Is a Big Stack Bully playing:
58% VPIP 42 PFR and a 10% 3 bet over 19 hands.
I seen him 4 bet squeeze from SB allin with a chance of losing alot of his stack with A8 sooted.

So I was preying on him ready for him to double me up.
And it was a perfect set up.
But the result hurt

Bugger

Old
Sun Dec 29, 2013, 07:55 AM
(#2)
PPhhh

Old
Thu Mar 27, 2014, 05:55 AM
(#3)
Since: Mar 2014
thats the problem when you get caught up on their bad play as you said he was happy to call with a8 so wasnt like he was going to fold by you pushing all you did was turn it into a coinflip and to be fair it wasnt like you was in front by mile preflop

Old
Thu Mar 27, 2014, 07:26 AM
(#4)
Since: Nov 2012
BronzeStar
Don't be results focused

You can't control the results and if you don't base your judgements on smart strategy, you be up relying on instinct or emotion and fold premium hands to bluffs or weak draws

You want I congratulate your opponent on his play since he is your ideal opponent to call when you have strong hole cards and he ships it to you with something weak

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old
Sat Mar 29, 2014, 07:41 PM
(#5)
Since: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by donkkilla76 View Post
thats the problem when you get caught up on their bad play as you said he was happy to call with a8 so wasnt like he was going to fold by you pushing all you did was turn it into a coinflip and to be fair it wasnt like you was in front by mile preflop
He actually was way ahead. If you round it to the nearest whole number he was 66% to win the hand and the other guy was 34%. Those are the kind of spots you dream of just ul on the flop. His shove wasn't out of line either, he only had 17bbs and the guy opened for 4 bbs that shove is pretty standard imo.

Last edited by FireMedic815; Sat Mar 29, 2014 at 07:44 PM..

Old
Sun Mar 30, 2014, 04:11 AM
(#6)
preflop odds dont mean a lot to be honest yes he was 30 percent better but unless your physic you dont know what they have thats the point of playing a hand a coin flip is exactly as the name states.

Old
Sun Mar 30, 2014, 04:55 AM
(#7)
Its all about percentages!!
When you get short you have to take a risk when you think your hand has a higher percentage of winning then your opponents.
If your not happy stacking off here versus this guy!
you have a lot more problems other than bad beats.

I was more than happy after I seen what he had, and would do the same play if I had a 2nd chance.

chuckkky

Quote:
preflop odds dont mean a lot to be honest yes he was 30 percent better but unless your physic you dont know what they have thats the point of playing a hand a coin flip is exactly as the name states.

Old
Sun Mar 30, 2014, 07:36 AM
(#8)
Quote:
odds of winning the hand mean a lot. odds vs equity means a ton too. I don't think you understand what we are trying to say and that is ok. It is part of learning the game.

I heard Dave use this analogy once to describe Luck vs skill in poker. I will try to use it to explain why this is a good play.

Chucky is pretty much a 2:1 favorite to win this hand when the chips go in, it is not exactly 2:1 but its pretty close.

so if you get a pen and paper and a coin give chucky heads and the other guy tails, flip the coin 100 times and every time it is heads give chucky $2.00 and every time it is tails give the other guy $1.00 I think you will find that over 100 times chucky will be a big winner.

You are being result oriented as to how this one particular hand played out, if he makes the right decision like this one over the long run he will come out on top.

You're right we don't know exactly what he holds but against the range of hands he could hold we are actually a bigger favorite than 2:1

I hope this helped and gl at the tables

Last edited by FireMedic815; Sun Mar 30, 2014 at 07:43 AM.. Reason: error in odds

Old
Mon Mar 31, 2014, 06:18 AM
(#9)
in know exactly how to work it all out, but you sit there and count how many times you have qqs and how many times they come out on top. I had qqs twice today already in 2 different tourneys first i come against aa and i actually won hitting trips, second i come against pocket 7s he won hitting quad 7s, now in the first aces would be around 80 to my 12 and 2nd my qs would be around 80 to his 17-18, the point im making is playing the hand if possible is always better than a coinflip

Last edited by donkkilla76; Mon Mar 31, 2014 at 06:22 AM..

Old
Mon Mar 31, 2014, 09:30 AM
(#10)
Quote:
in know exactly how to work it all out, but you sit there and count how many times you have qqs and how many times they come out on top. I had qqs twice today already in 2 different tourneys first i come against aa and i actually won hitting trips, second i come against pocket 7s he won hitting quad 7s, now in the first aces would be around 80 to my 12 and 2nd my qs would be around 80 to his 17-18, the point im making is playing the hand if possible is always better than a coinflip
I think I understand what you are saying. I am not saying we should just shove every time we think we have our opponent beat. Deeper stacked I would either just flat or 3 bet depending on my opponent.

In this situation however with only a 17bb stack and our opponent has opened for 4 bbs and has shown himself to be a weak player. I think its an insta shove for value. We can't just call and see a flop and fold if an A or K hits and we definately can't make it 8-12 bbs to go and then fold.

A coin flip by definition means you both have close to equal equity in the hand 50/50 or close to it. When you are going to win 2/3 of the time it is not a coin flip. You will lose some of the time, but these are spots when you want to get your chips in the middle. Even AA is going to lose to a random hand close to 15 percent of the time.

I also know it can be frustrating when you keep getting drawn out on in good spots. Believe me we all go through these down swings. You have to stay positive and know that if you are getting the chips in with the best hand eventually it will turn around.

I am by no means an expert when it comes to poker, I am just trying to help. If you haven't done so already I suggest watching some of the training videos they have here. they are all free and you can watch them at your own convenience they have videos for cash, mtts, sngs, br management, just about any area you want to explore.

You may also want to join the pso home game club. They have real and play money games both are very good. If you make a mistake here nobody will call you a fish or a donk because they don't tolerate abusive behavior towards other players and you can ask them why they played the hand that way.

Old
Mon Mar 31, 2014, 07:15 PM
(#11)
Since: Jun 2010
Quote:

So I filtered my years tournament hands by preflop all in raise by me

QQ - 69 times I have raised all in Won at show down 64%

For fun a then filtered by calling all in ( i am all in player)

QQ - 72 times won at show down 68.06 %

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Apr 05, 2014, 07:55 AM
(#12)
Since: Apr 2010
Quote:
QQ vs AQ is not a coinflip.
QQ vs AK is a coinflip

Old
Mon Apr 07, 2014, 11:33 PM
(#13)
Since: Aug 2010
plain bad luck

but if we need to do it over and over again I'll be gladly too

Old
Sun Apr 20, 2014, 04:23 PM
(#14)
Since: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireMedic815 View Post
He actually was way ahead. If you round it to the nearest whole number he was 66% to win the hand and the other guy was 34%. Those are the kind of spots you dream of just ul on the flop. His shove wasn't out of line either, he only had 17bbs and the guy opened for 4 bbs that shove is pretty standard imo.
he's not even 2/1 so not a massive dog pre. but he got lucky nothing you can do unless u 3 bet he shoves and u fold.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com