Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Hotter $2.20 Deep, A3 in BTN, resteal shove?

Old
Hotter $2.20 Deep, A3 in BTN, resteal shove? - Sun Dec 29, 2013, 08:54 AM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2010

This is now as we had just entered the final 3 tables of the Hotter $2.20.

The big stack had only recently joined the table so I had no reads on him, other than he was a huge stack!

I think my resteal and his call are both good plays, but I'd be interested to hear other people's thoughts on this.

The CO opening range should be much wider than his calling off a resteal range, so I think I'm getting excellent fold equity vs all three opponents.

I would probably call with KQs in villain's shoes, but this is right at the bottom of what I would call off with for half my stack.

Old
Sun Dec 29, 2013, 10:11 AM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2012
I need more info to re-steal here. I prefer 87s to A3o A3o would be dominated more often and fold to 3bet or re-steal stats are very important before taking such line. He's opening to short stacks and his range won't be very wide. I think.

Old
Sun Dec 29, 2013, 10:26 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Andy!

With A3 on the button and a 15BB stack, I'm looking for any situation to either open-shove or for a resteal. When the CO makes a min-raise, this is a perfect opportunity for me to shove as a resteal and wouldn't even think twice about it.

Now, if I'm in the opp's shoes. I need to call 540k into a pot that will be 1.34 million (40%). The first question is.. does my KQs have 40% equity. The first thing to look at is how does the opp perceive me? Loose, tight, etc.
If I would resteal with any A, pair or broadway, then the opp does have about 48% equity against me. If they think I'd do it tighter, say a 10% range, then KQs only has 42% equity. From this, it is a slightly +chip EV spot.

However, with 3 tables left and having the largest chip stack at the table (double the opp that shoves), the bigger question is... is this a +tourney EV play?

My goal at this point in the tourney is to first make the final table and then to get a top 3 stack and then to go for the win. Right now, unless the other tables are loaded with huge stacks, I'm in great shape to make the final table as the table chip leader.
Calling here, for a small +chip EV gain on average needs to be weighed against what happens if I lose.
If I call and lose the hand (which I WILL bet the favorite to lose the hand), then I am now just another regular stack at the table. I lose all of the advantage that I have built up and unless I can start accumulating chips, have lost my ability to make the FT.

Being in a situation where I expect to LOSE the hand and in the process will lose the advantage that I have for making the final table... while the play is a slight chip +EV, it is not a -tourney EV play and due to that, I need to muck to the reshove.

I like the reshove here, but do not like the call (KQs here is too weak and the favorite to lose the hand).

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com