Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

How often should I be calling this River bet?

Old
How often should I be calling this River bet? - Sun Dec 29, 2013, 12:00 PM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2013
It felt like I was behind post his River bet. No real reads, new table.

Old
Sun Dec 29, 2013, 12:16 PM
(#2)
Since: Mar 2012
SilverStar
ok first of all the pre flop play here is a huge error, you have 11 big blinds or so to start the hand, commiting four of them pre flop is a mistake with any hand. The way you did play it I am 100% shoving the flop as you should get credit for a huge hand with the line you have taken.
As far as the river decision, you should be folding 100% of the time as the villain is hardly ever bluffing this spot if ever. The right play would have been for you to go all in pre flop, unless close to some sort of bubble and then maybe its a fold but all in pre flop nearly all of the time!

Old
Sun Dec 29, 2013, 12:40 PM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2013
what game is this?

Old
Sun Dec 29, 2013, 02:09 PM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2011
Your pre-flop raise totally commits you. That 3200 is more than a third of your stack, which means you should never be folding after making it, simply because of pot odds. If a pre-flop raise is more than a third of your stack, you should be shoving. If you don't get it in pre-flop, then shove 100% of flops, since you have less than a pot-sized bet remaining.
Personally, I would have shoved pre, since you have less than 9bb and there are antes in the pot, as well as dead money from the limper. With 9bb to start, you can't play post-flop. It's push or fold pre, and AJ is far too strong to fold.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Dec 29, 2013, 05:26 PM
(#5)
Since: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtySmokesPS View Post
Your pre-flop raise totally commits you. That 3200 is more than a third of your stack, which means you should never be folding after making it, simply because of pot odds. If a pre-flop raise is more than a third of your stack, you should be shoving. If you don't get it in pre-flop, then shove 100% of flops, since you have less than a pot-sized bet remaining.
Personally, I would have shoved pre, since you have less than 9bb and there are antes in the pot, as well as dead money from the limper. With 9bb to start, you can't play post-flop. It's push or fold pre, and AJ is far too strong to fold.
Arty has got this pretty much spot on (as usual )

You've got an M number of less than 5 and just over 10BB. Preflop you should be doing nothing else other than shoving or folding. Ahead of a limp from a shortstack, I think AJ is too strong a hand to fold so going all in is clearly the correct play. Raising to 3200 is committing you anyway and it is impossible to have any meaningful postflop play with such short stack sizes.

As played you should be shoving 100% of flops if it's folded to you. If V7 open-shoves, you should call.

On the turn you should even moreso be shoving. V7 has shown no interest in the hand and you've still got two overcards with an up and down straight draw.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com