Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

Strategy checklist

Old
Strategy checklist - Sun Dec 29, 2013, 07:02 PM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2013
BronzeStar
Do any of you more winning players have like a system, process or checklist that you run through before making all your decisions?

Can your decisions be made mainly by contrasting your Pot odds to your winning odds? How complex do your calculations get? Do you rely more on gut instinct? More on maths? Or a mix of instinct and maths?

Do you sit and wait and observe your opponents at the table before asserting yourself on it or do you take charge from the off?

In early tournament play, how do you negotiate your way past the landmine of ambiguous pre-flop all ins? Early tournament play always has people shoving indiscriminately with hands like 8-3o which, it seems, hit their mark more often than you might expect. Do you sit tight and wait for a good hand whilst the Blinds keep rising and your stack keeps shrinking or do you accept that a pre-flop shove really is an absolute lottery and just shove regardless, choosing to ride your luck?

Old
Mon Dec 30, 2013, 07:32 AM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2011
Had a thought about it too.

Do players work so hard on pokerstove/crEV until they get so fluent with numbers, that those details comes as instinct?

When I read forums hand history responses,strategy posts etc.. I make assumption that most of the posts from compenent players are based on long EV calculations done off the table, or on database analysis with sample big enough isn't it?

Is poker game mostly relies on technical details?

Old
Mon Dec 30, 2013, 12:08 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi everyone!

Danny, for early in tourneys, I'm going to play very tight. I don't want to be taking any random chances, especially with unmade hands. If players want to shove and shove, then I'm waiting until I have QQ+ before I'm calling them.

Whenever I'm playing, I'm constantly looking for patterns from the opps and especially the cards that they showdown and how they bet the hands that they did showdown. Anything that looks out of line, I'm making notes on, as it's information that I can use later to make my decisions easier.

I do base many of my decisions on whether I have the correct odds or not. If I do, then I expect to gain chips by calling a bet. If not, then I expect to lose chips on average when calling a bet. I work hard for the chips that I get and I do not want to be giving them away on plays where I expect to lose chips.

Morduk, I do go thru my hands afterwards as a self-review, especially the hands where I'm not sure if I had the right odds to make a play one way or the other. I will go thru these after I'm done playing using pokerstove and any other relevant means (ICM calculator if at the FT, etc).
Once you do this enough, you will start to see some similar patterns that will help with making quicker decisions in the future.
Like for me, I may not know the exact hand equity that I have against the opp's range, but if I can estimate it, I can quickly run the pot equity estimated in my head and make a decision from there... then afterwards, go back and look at the hand in more detail.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Dec 30, 2013, 01:35 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp215 View Post
Do any of you more winning players have like a system, process or checklist that you run through before making all your decisions?

Can your decisions be made mainly by contrasting your Pot odds to your winning odds? How complex do your calculations get? Do you rely more on gut instinct? More on maths? Or a mix of instinct and maths?

Do you sit and wait and observe your opponents at the table before asserting yourself on it or do you take charge from the off?
In cash games, I do not have a system, at least not one that I have intentionally developed. If it is a system it is an organic one.

My decisions are often made on the fly, on what I think is right, rather than anything I have learned from a course. I trust my instinct on the maths, I'm not going to pretend I have put hours or study into equities, I have a general idea of when I am getting the right price and when I am not. Again, I have probably picked up stuff without realising where I got it from, I have watched enough videos and live training for it to have worked its way into my brain through repetition.

I tend to play hand strength early in a session at regular tables. As I pick up reads I then revert to player specific.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com