Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

3.30NH QQ Flop - call or fold ?

Old
3.30NH QQ Flop - call or fold ? - Mon Dec 30, 2013, 02:52 PM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2013
Hi all..

No stats, just started playing.. tourney still running..

Good or bad call..?

Old
Mon Dec 30, 2013, 06:31 PM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2013
Wait for the official evaluation for the best answer (all my advice is free, some of it is worth more than you pay for it). Villain did not 3bet preflop, so I would say probably does not have aces or kings. Shove on flop is almost certainly the straight draw, you're on a made hand so should call. Bad luck on the river.

I would have lost the same chips

Old
Mon Dec 30, 2013, 07:21 PM
(#3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horanda View Post
Wait for the official evaluation for the best answer (all my advice is free, some of it is worth more than you pay for it). Villain did not 3bet preflop, so I would say probably does not have aces or kings. Shove on flop is almost certainly the straight draw, you're on a made hand so should call. Bad luck on the river.

I would have lost the same chips

Thanks Horanda..

Old
Mon Dec 30, 2013, 07:39 PM
(#4)
Since: Jan 2012
Hi m1ndmaster

I like how you played but I think that your c bet sizing is on the big side. I understand that this is a wet board and there are a lot of draws out there and you want to protect your hand but when you bet as much as you did (400) into a pot of 500 your really pushing the action, a bet of that size is rarely going to get called, it's going to either get a fold or a shove and in this case the shove is what we got.

I call the shove too. I would of c bet smaller post flop to avoid getting into a high variance spot like this one but when he shoves I think that he has a strong draw and some of the time AJ.

Villain has 66 big blinds.... this is a huge pot. I would call but I'm not thrilled about it. Personally I think that this is a spot where a smaller bet actually tells us more than a big bet. When we bet 400 it looks strong and it gives out the impression 'to most players' that we're not folding which isn't the impression that we ought to be giving!

Cheers, Chris.

Last edited by ChewMe1; Mon Dec 30, 2013 at 07:42 PM..

Old
Mon Dec 30, 2013, 09:39 PM
(#5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChewMe1 View Post
Hi m1ndmaster

I like how you played but I think that your c bet sizing is on the big side. I understand that this is a wet board and there are a lot of draws out there and you want to protect your hand but when you bet as much as you did (400) into a pot of 500 your really pushing the action, a bet of that size is rarely going to get called, it's going to either get a fold or a shove and in this case the shove is what we got.

I call the shove too. I would of c bet smaller post flop to avoid getting into a high variance spot like this one but when he shoves I think that he has a strong draw and some of the time AJ.

Villain has 66 big blinds.... this is a huge pot. I would call but I'm not thrilled about it. Personally I think that this is a spot where a smaller bet actually tells us more than a big bet. When we bet 400 it looks strong and it gives out the impression 'to most players' that we're not folding which isn't the impression that we ought to be giving!

Cheers, Chris.
Hi Chris,

Thanks..
Yeah I know, I could've c bet smaller, I thought I could take the pot there, avoiding difficult decisions on later streets.. I had a tight image on the table so I thought I would use it to take the pot.. I wasn't really counting on him pushing 60bbs on the flop so early in the tournament with that board, and that bet.. Once he shoved I had to call, not too happy as you said.

If I had made cbet smaller maybe action would be different!!

Quote:
'When we bet 400 it looks strong and it gives out the impression 'to most players' that we're not folding which isn't the impression that we ought to be giving!'
Chris, in your last advice, In that spot, that was exactly what i wanted him to think.. but can you please, elaborate a bit, you say 'that's not the impression we want to be giving', do you mean something like giving other players room to make mistakes?

Does this makes any sense?

Thanks Chris,

regards,

Old
Tue Dec 31, 2013, 01:42 PM
(#6)
Since: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1ndmaster View Post
Chris, in your last advice, In that spot, that was exactly what i wanted him to think.. but can you please, elaborate a bit, you say 'that's not the impression we want to be giving', do you mean something like giving other players room to make mistakes?

Does this makes any sense?

Thanks Chris,

regards,
This is precisely what I mean. We ought to be giving out the illusion that we are c-betting with whatever we decided to raise with preflop but when we bet as large as we did it makes it quite clear that we're not c-betting just for the sakes of it and that we do actually have a strong hand.

Your bet looks so strong that we're going to fold out a ton of hands that we could have gotten value from if we would have bet smaller. You're giving 10x hands and Jx hands an easy escape... when we bet this much we are only going to get called by maybe tptk or a draw.

Cheers, Chris.

Old
Wed Jan 01, 2014, 03:01 PM
(#7)
Thank you Chris..

Best wishes for this new year!

Cheers!

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com