Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

10Nl 6-max AKs vs SS

Old
10Nl 6-max AKs vs SS - Tue Dec 31, 2013, 01:17 PM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2012
Hi, villain is unkown.

How should I proceed this hand post flop ?
If I bet the flop and bet the turn and get raised I can't fold, but it would seem like I'm beat.

But the check fold on the turn seemed so weak.
I was confused on what to do.

Cheers!

Old
Tue Dec 31, 2013, 01:36 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
Did they sit down short or lose half there stack recently? In either of these cases I am definitely betting the turn. Without a read, you're in a tough spot (or I'm a bit rusty). If Zoom I can see check - folding the turn. Not sure I'd do the same non-Zoom.

Old
Tue Dec 31, 2013, 04:15 PM
(#3)
Since: Jan 2012
Sorry,
I forgot to mention it is Zoom.

Old
Tue Dec 31, 2013, 04:46 PM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2011
With an SPR of 5.5 against a shortstack with a fishy stack size, I'm committing to get it in here with a bet-bet-bet line. I might bet-fold flop if he puts in a hefty raise, but once he flats flop and I see a non-heart on the turn, I'm never folding, as there's too much money in the pot (compared to villain's stack) and you're near the top of your range.
He can have so many worse aces and flush draws in his range that AK is effectively the nuts. If you check the turn, it's to check-shove over his bet. Check-folding seems too nitty, even for me.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Dec 31, 2013, 06:05 PM
(#5)
Since: Feb 2013
Sometimes it feel that best value bet is to check.

Old
Wed Jan 01, 2014, 09:28 AM
(#6)
Since: Sep 2010
Bearing in mind that V1 is likely a recreational player with a short-stack, I think you should be looking to play for stacks on this.

I would just bet/call OTF and OTT. If you have a read that the villain is particularly aggressive, check/shoving the turn might be a good way to extract value but the default play has to be to bet and call a raise or shove from the villain.

Like Arty says, you are at the top of your range so check/folding is too weak, villain might be betting any A once he's seen you fire a CBet and then give up.

Old
Wed Jan 01, 2014, 12:29 PM
(#7)
Since: Nov 2013
if it was a heart on the turn, or a broadway card (e.g. T,J or K), that's the only time I would play check/fold.

But in this case, I would bet turn and play for stacks against this villain who doesn't reload to full stack

Old
Wed Jan 01, 2014, 02:27 PM
(#8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalahwang View Post
if it was a heart on the turn, or a broadway card (e.g. T,J or K), that's the only time I would play check/fold.

But in this case, I would bet turn and play for stacks against this villain who doesn't reload to full stack
Kalahwang I think your reasons for check/folding are based too much on paranoia which is probably based on not ranging the villain properly.

You will end up folding too often if any time a vaguely scary card comes, you decide that your opponent has it and give up with a check/fold.

I think if a broadway card comes, I'd still be betting for value and calling a shove, there are so many Ax hands that a short-stack would play like that, not necessarily just two pair hands. He might also decide to raise all in with his draw.

If a heart comes, we have a trickier decision on which line to take, but I don't think we should check/fold. The villain may not like the 3rd flush card coming any more than we do. Therefore if a heart comes, you can make a solid case for bet/folding, although villain's stack size might mean we are compelled to bet/call.

Old
Thu Jan 02, 2014, 10:04 AM
(#9)
Since: Nov 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by spand42 View Post
I think if a broadway card comes, I'd still be betting for value and calling a shove, there are so many Ax hands that a short-stack would play like that, not necessarily just two pair hands. He might also decide to raise all in with his draw.

If a heart comes, we have a trickier decision on which line to take, but I don't think we should check/fold. The villain may not like the 3rd flush card coming any more than we do. Therefore if a heart comes, you can make a solid case for bet/folding, although villain's stack size might mean we are compelled to bet/call.

Hi Spand,
The bet/fold line on the heart turn is good for me.

But I'm having a little difficulty taking in to play for stacks with a broadway card K, J, T which is non-spade as this gives a one card straight.

Old
Thu Jan 02, 2014, 06:35 PM
(#10)
I'm not sure what you mean when you say a broadway card gives a one card straight.

If a K comes, villain has to specifically be holding JT and be willing to call a flop bet with it. Even then you still have outs to a full house. In case villain flopped two pair, you have now overtaken him.

If a J comes villain has to hold KT or J7 for a straight, both of which are unrealistic.

If a T comes, villain has to hold KJ or J7, again highly unrealistic.

I suppose he might have KJhh or KThh but they are only two combinations. Even in these cases you will always have outs to chop the pot.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com