Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

big 3.30

Old
big 3.30 - Wed Jan 01, 2014, 02:59 AM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2013

villian was loose vp 33

how should i have played this ?

Old
Wed Jan 01, 2014, 03:03 AM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2011
I'd probably just check fold the turn

Old
Wed Jan 01, 2014, 01:24 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi jokr02!

With AKo from the cutoff, I'm going to make a standard opening raise to 3BB+1BB for each limper, so I will raise to 450.

I get one caller and a flop of three unders. I'm going to make a c-bet and the key is the sizing of it. Bets postflop need to be sized based on the size of the pot, number of opps and board texture. With one opp, a standard bet is 1/2 pot, so I will bet 578. I want to keep all of my bets and raises standard as this helps to conceal the strength of my hand. Players that make non-standard bets, especially if the bets are based on their hand strength are basically turning their cards face-up to an observant opponent.. something that I need to avoid.

The turn is another blank for me and with the opp being very wide and calling two bets from me, since they very easily could have hit a piece of this flop or the turn, I'm going to check the turn. I only have ace high and they could easily be ahead, so I need to use pot control here. Another factor in this is that a standard turn bet (1178 chips) is very close to pot-committing me, which means that if I make the bet, I cannot fold at any point the rest of the hand. I don't want to be pot-committed with nothing but ace high when the opp could easily have a pair.
If the opp makes any sizable bet on the turn, at best case, I have 6 outs if they have a pair and any reasonable bet will not give me the pot odds that I need to continue in the hand, so I need to fold.

The keys with this hand are to make standard bets on both preflop and on the flop, then to check/fold the turn when I miss and get called on the flop.
When players make abnormal bets, especially ones that don't tell a consistent story (lower than standard pre says marginal hand, higher than standard on the flop/turn says strength)... since all of the bets don't say the same thing, this can very easily be spotted by the opp as a bluff as most hands that don't tell a consistent story throughout the hand are bluffs.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Jan 01, 2014, 03:01 PM
(#4)
Since: Sep 2010
They sometimes call AK "Anna Kournikova" - looks better than she plays.

I like the CBet on the flop but then once villain calls, you should just give up by check/folding and hope to see a free river.

Old
Thu Jan 02, 2014, 03:38 AM
(#5)
Since: Dec 2013
thanks for the review guys

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com