Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

NL Holdem, all in in the middle phase of a tournament

Old
NL Holdem, all in in the middle phase of a tournament - Wed Jan 01, 2014, 10:49 AM
(#1)
Since: May 2011
Hi guys.
I often play $1 tournaments for 180 or 18 players and everytime I get to the top 30% - then I make some mistakes (unknown to me yet) that leave me with a small stack (10-15x BB) and force to go all in with mediocre cards to keep a decent position.

Could you please have a look at one of such hands and tell me how you would play it?

PokerStars Hand #109408689141: Tournament #842043741, $1.29+$0.21 USD Hold'em No Limit - Level III (25/50) - 2014/01/01 14:39:06 WET [2014/01/01 9:39:06 ET]
Table '842043741 2' 6-max Seat #4 is the button
Seat 3: yannickturg (955 in chips)
Seat 4: cigarro.1980 (5940 in chips)
Seat 5: maynard0000 (8080 in chips)
Seat 6: me (1715 in chips)
maynard0000: posts small blind 25
me: posts big blind 50
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to me [As Js]
yannickturg: calls 50
cigarro.1980: calls 50
maynard0000: calls 25
me: raises 250 to 300
yannickturg: calls 250
cigarro.1980: folds
maynard0000: folds
*** FLOP *** [8h 4h Tc]
me: bets 100
yannickturg: raises 555 to 655 and is all-in
me: calls 555

I'm waiting for your invaluable opinions. Thanks.

Old
Wed Jan 01, 2014, 01:11 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Loaded-Deuce!

Welcome to the forum.

With AJs in the BB, I get 3 limps in front of me. I'm going to make a standard raise to 3BB+1BB for each limper (200 chips). I want to keep all of my bets and raises standard in order to help conceal the strength of my hand. Players that bet more with better hands and less with marginal ones are basically turning their cards face-up to an observant opponent (something that I want to avoid).

I see a heads-up flop and since I raised preflop, I'm normally going to make a c-bet, but there are other things to consider here. Bets postflop need to be sized based on the size of the pot, number of opps and board texture. With one opp, I need to bet 1/2 pot. If I bet less than this, I can be giving the opp the correct odds to try to outdraw me, which is something that I want to avoid.
The key here is the opponent's stack size. Basically any bet will make me play for their stack and due to this, I'm going to check the flop here. I only have ace high and a good kicker. If the opp shoves, then I need to muck to this bet and save my chips.

Staying with unmade hands like this is an easy way to leak off chips in a tournament and can cause a player to get short earlier and have to take chances (been there plenty of times myself). I need to be patient and put my chips into the pot when I'm most likely ahead, not when I'm most likely behind.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Jan 01, 2014, 02:15 PM
(#3)
Since: May 2011
Hi and thank you for your help! What you described is exactly what happened - I went all in there and the ending was:

*** TURN *** [8h 4h Tc] [8s]
*** RIVER *** [8h 4h Tc 8s] [2s]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Loaded-Deuce: shows [As Js] (a pair of Eights)
yannickturg: shows [4d Td] (two pair, Tens and Eights)
yannickturg collected 2010 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 2010 | Rake 0
Board [8h 4h Tc 8s 2s]
Seat 3: yannickturg showed [4d Td] and won (2010) with two pair, Tens and Eights
Seat 4: cigarro.1980 (button) folded before Flop
Seat 5: maynard0000 (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 6: Loaded-Deuce (big blind) showed [As Js] and lost with a pair of Eights

I think my problem is that I loosen my game too much when I realize that I've overslept the moment I should have started to play more loose. Then I start to panic a little bit and it leads me to endings like the one above.

Thanks for your help!

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com