Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

NL2$ 6-max Was it better to check on the river to induce a bluff ?

Old
NL2$ 6-max Was it better to check on the river to induce a bluff ? - Wed Jan 01, 2014, 10:55 AM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2013
villain_5: VP:86 PR:2 AFq:40 AF:1.03

This villain is (crazy)loose and hardly has any agression preflop. His agression comes from flop, turn and river with a tendancy to bet scary boards.
I think his game play might be to limp, call and then take pots by bluffing opponent out. If that is the case, should I have played differently on the river ? Other sizing or even check ?

Old
Wed Jan 01, 2014, 12:11 PM
(#2)
Since: Nov 2013
everything is standard and correctly played in my opinion. Villain just doesn't have a good enough hand to call you. So don't blame yourself.

This is quite common when you have the nuts (2nd nuts).

Checking on the turn and river would lose value against his draws, pairs, overpairs.

If you were planning to bluff induce, you should have done it by checking on the turn. Yet, for me, betting is still a better play.

Old
Wed Jan 01, 2014, 12:23 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
The overused "look weak when strong" may work on the river against a post-flop aggro at this level. Bet ~20-30% of the pot and hope for a shove or call.

My advice is to be wary of bets that look like they want a call against most players.

p.s. Except against me as I'd never try something like that.

Last edited by TrumpinJoe; Wed Jan 01, 2014 at 12:25 PM..

Old
Wed Jan 01, 2014, 12:26 PM
(#4)
Since: Feb 2013
On this board I think betting is only right thing to do, as any made pair the villain has is also a full house and he has hard time to fold it.

Old
Wed Jan 01, 2014, 02:49 PM
(#5)
thank you all for the input (take it along as usual )

Old
Wed Jan 01, 2014, 05:01 PM
(#6)
Since: Oct 2011
Villain's AF is only 1.03. He's a calling station, so won't be bluffing. Bet big on every street, as he's calling with every pocket pair, and probably also just a deuce.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Jan 01, 2014, 06:56 PM
(#7)
Clear - thank you

Old
Wed Jan 01, 2014, 08:03 PM
(#8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by betsizer View Post
villain_5: VP:86 PR:2 AFq:40 AF:1.03
Quote:
Originally Posted by betsizer View Post
This villain is (crazy)loose and hardly has any agression preflop. His agression comes from flop, turn and river with a tendancy to bet scary boards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtySmokesPS View Post
Villain's AF is only 1.03. He's a calling station, so won't be bluffing. Bet big on every street, as he's calling with every pocket pair, and probably also just a deuce.
With PFR =2% it takes a lot of post flop aggression to get back to about 1 AF.

Why ignore OP's comments that don't agree with your "advice"?

Old
Thu Jan 02, 2014, 12:09 AM
(#9)
(Head Trainer)
Hi betsizer,

I think you played it perfectly. This villain is not an aggressive bluffer, he's very passive both pre and post according to these stats. Did you have a specific observation that led you to feel like he was a bluffer?

And since all pairs have a full house now, I expect him to be calling us down with them, so betting is good.

@Joe, AF and AFq are post flop stats, they don't include preflop actions, this villain is indeed quite passive post flop as well as pre thus far.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Jan 02, 2014, 07:22 AM
(#10)
Thank you - lol never knew that AF was not counting in preflop - have learned again

Old
Thu Jan 02, 2014, 07:55 AM
(#11)
Thanks for straightening me out Dave. Haven't played cash online in a while and I am getting a bit rusty.

My apologies Arty.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com