Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

NL2$ 6-max correct play or losing value ?

Old
NL2$ 6-max correct play or losing value ? - Wed Jan 01, 2014, 11:15 AM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2013
These are 4 hands of another session.
I was wondering if I could have made more money here ?
Again I'm keen on bet sizes, bet or not and other pointers

Hand 1

villain_2 VP:38 PR:0 AFq:36 AF:1.33 (34)

Hand 2

Villain_1 VP:44 PR:25 AFq:52 AF:1.56 (2)
villain_2 no information, just seated

Hand 3
villain_3 VP:54 PR:14 AFq:52 AF:1.78 (27)
villain_4 VP:50 PR:0 AFq:0 AF:0 (2)
villain_5 VP:19 PR:0 AFQ:36 AF:0.83 (21)

Hand 4

No info on player 1

Old
Wed Jan 01, 2014, 05:34 PM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2010
Like I've said on the other thread, one hand per thread please

Hand 1

With 99 on the BB vs a limper, you can either just check your option to try and setmine, or raise. I prefer the raise as you're out of position, so it helps if you the initiative which may allow you to take the pot away on later streets even if you don't flop a set.

I think the bet sizing is fine against a loose-passive opponent who might call down with a wide range of hands.

The J shouldn't hit the villain's range most of the time, so I like that you kept up the aggression. I think you should do this with the intention of folding to a raise.

Old
Wed Jan 01, 2014, 05:49 PM
(#3)
Hand 2

It's interesting that you chose not to raise this preflop. I think calling is fine but I prefer to raise and stay aggressive. I might just flat call with a lower pocket pair but I think 88 is strong enough that you don't just have to setmine.

With a limped pot - I would just lead out for a bet on the flop. The problem with the limped around pot is that nobody is "expected" to bet as there is no pre-flop aggressor, so it might easily get checked around and you'd lose a street of value. Also it looks less strong than your check-raise does so disguises the strength of your hand more.

Your flop check/raise is the first bet sizing that I really don't like. You should keep your sizings consistent whether you are bluffing or have a monster to keep your opponents off balance. Also by min-betting you are just losing value and telegraphing to thinking players (admittedly there aren't too many of these at 2NL) that you are begging for a call and have a monster hand. I would raise somewhere between $0.10-$0.12.

The A is likely going to be an action killer as villain was probably betting with Qx and now a scare card has come. Because villain's preflop range is any two cards (minus premiums that he'd raise), he might also have two pair or gutshot straight draws that the A doesn't really change.

Since you are targeting Qx or draws that might call one street of betting but not two, I'd make the size of your bet slightly bigger, something like $0.16 to try and extract as much value as possible from the turn because you might not get it on the river.

On the river I think villain can call a 1/2 pot bet with a Q - I don't think he'd call much bigger. The other option is to go for an overbet and make it something like $0.70 and hope that he thinks you're just bluffing and calls you off with Qx.

Old
Wed Jan 01, 2014, 06:02 PM
(#4)
Hand 3

I think the call preflop is fine as you're likely to be multiway which is the best scenario for suited connectors/one-gappers like J9s.

These flops are always very dangerous as you've flopped a very strong hand but it is very vulnerable and may already be behind. I like the lead as there is a very high chance that V4 won't CBet such a wet flop without a monster hand himself. I also like the sizing as you need to charge people to hit any of the numerous draws they might be on.

The turn is a complete brick. I think your hand can best be described as a two-street hand. You can reasonably expect worse hands to call two streets of betting, they'd likely fold to three barrels. Better hands are very unlikely to fold, maybe JT folds if you put enough heat on but that's unlikely. So you have to decide on which streets you want to extract value from. I would suggest on such a wet flop with many draws possible, you should try to get value whilst they've still got outs with hands like Qx, 8x or worse Jx. So I would definitely continue to protect your two-pair and make villain pay for their draw if they are on one.

The river completes the low straight draw. Villain makes a blocking bet, which usually means that he has got a weakish hands that he doesn't want to call a big bet with so he's trying to set his own price. However I don't think our hand is strong enough to raise with and expect too many worse hands to call, so I like the fact that you just called and sure enough he showed up with the wrong straight draw and a pair.

If villain just checked the river, I would check behind. If villain had made a large bet, I would just fold because he has previously shown that he is so passive and one of the main draws has come in.

Old
Wed Jan 01, 2014, 06:20 PM
(#5)
Since: Aug 2013
Hand 4
This is another 2 street hand after you open the flop betting. The only way to get 3 streets of value is to just call the raise on the flop, then check to him on the turn, disguising the strength of your hand. If he checks back the turn, put a 1/2 pot bet on the river trying to induce another raise. If he bets the turn,base your river actiion on the card, the less scary it will be to him, the more likely you should bet, trying to make it look like a bluff.

Old
Wed Jan 01, 2014, 06:25 PM
(#6)
Hand 4

I like the limp from the small blind preflop, just try and see a cheap flop.

Again for the same reasons as Hand 3, I like the preflop read. You get raised on and should be fist-pumping! However it's a really tough call whether you should 3Bet or call and I can't really make my mind up either way as there are convincing cases for both. The perils of being Out of Position...

If you 3Bet here, this looks extremely strong and just calling might well be a better way of disguising the strength of your hand. Furthermore there aren't really any turn cards that can cause any concern as we also have a decent flush draw. The problem with slowplaying is that your turn play becomes quite difficult. You might be missing out on a lot of value if you check and he checks behind. If you get the opportunity to check/raise, that also looks super strong. If you lead out, that also looks super strong.

There is a good argument for 3Betting to try and build a pot, but unless villain has flopped 2 pair or a set, I don't see him continuing with the hand. However being out of position, I just think you are missing out on too much value if you just call so I think you have to 3Bet and risk him folding a strong hand.

Old
Wed Jan 01, 2014, 06:55 PM
(#7)
Since: Dec 2013
Thank you,

Sorry about the multiple hands in one thread. I just did that because it was basically the same question for all of these hands. Anyhow I won't do that again. I really liked your comments and will try to adopt the pointers. Thank you

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com