Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Brags, Beats and Variance /

Would you have played this differently?

Old
Would you have played this differently? - Thu Jan 02, 2014, 02:03 AM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2013
http://www.boomplayer.com/en/poker-h...563_0B2881C015

Just a cooler, or could it have gone better?

Old
Thu Jan 02, 2014, 06:15 AM
(#2)
Since: Jan 2013
the only other thing would have been to push all in on the flop i guess? still sucks though. Just no winning when they call no matter what. I had KK vs 82 with 882 on the flop. The guy 4-bet me pre-flop.

Old
Thu Jan 02, 2014, 10:46 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
I'd have made a standard raise preflop (2.5BB+1BB for each limper). By limping, it allows the opps the correct odds to try to outdraw me.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Jan 02, 2014, 11:17 AM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
I'd have made a standard raise preflop (2.5BB+1BB for each limper). By limping, it allows the opps the correct odds to try to outdraw me.

John (JWK24)

I would disagree here John, if I am going to play this hand from the hijack at all I do not want to commit over 1/4 of my stack to see a flop, knowing that I am still likely to have bet at least one more street and likely put in my whole stack across 2 streets to have a chance to take it down. Keeping in mind the game type, and stack sizes and the fact 2 big stacks utg/utg1 limp in there is little chance a raise pre will make much difference and the flop will still end up 3 way at the very least.

With this hand you have to think ahead, I don't like shoving here as there will be plenty of better spots for that and we still are not at the stage where we have to risk our tourney life.

You have less than 19x bb, and if you limp here you have to expect the possibility of a raise/steal with 4 players still to act and a decent size pot starting to build. If you decide to call that raise, even though this was a min raise, then you are losing chips from your stack with a weak hand and you will only hit a dream flop like this 1 in every 118 times.

Obviously as your hand played out you were unlucky but my honest answer here would just be fold pre. This type of hand looks pretty but is so dangerous playing in a multiway pot as you will almost never know where you are and you are not deep enough here to play multiple streets fishing for draws.

Old
Thu Jan 02, 2014, 05:14 PM
(#5)
Thanks for the feedback, interesting mix of approaches. I don't think the pre-flop raise would have pushed the villain out, so the only other change might have been a shove at the flop, though that might have reduced my pay out had it worked out. Hopefully I'll be on the other end if it happens again -at least it was in a freeroll.

Old
Thu Jan 02, 2014, 06:09 PM
(#6)
Since: Sep 2013
BronzeStar
get used to lose like that...it happens a LOT

Old
Fri Jan 10, 2014, 05:29 PM
(#7)
Another hand to evaluate, though this one's a little more straight forward...

http://www.boomplayer.com/en/poker-h...911_3782195639

Old
Fri Jan 10, 2014, 07:24 PM
(#8)
Since: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post

John (JWK24)
This

While I wouldn't be all that excited with AJs in this spot raising preflop would be a good idea to get rid of limpers and other villains. Not doing so would give them the odds to call like JWK pointed out.

After what happened on the flop is just so unlucky nothing you could do there.

Old
Fri Jan 10, 2014, 09:08 PM
(#9)
Since: Mar 2012
SilverStar
don't agree with anything said above, you have under 20 big blinds and to people have limped, you have a strong hand that can improve if you are behind, theres a quarter of your stack to be gained by shoving pre flop, pretty straight forward shove for me pre to be honest.

Old
Fri Jan 10, 2014, 09:31 PM
(#10)
Since: Aug 2013
I'm shoving here, unless I have notes that say otherwise about the limpers. Chance to pick up the pot and my increase 20+%~ stack uncontested is a huge factor.

Old
Fri Jan 10, 2014, 10:21 PM
(#11)
Since: Dec 2011
AJs is not a great holding! You got lucky with this flop, and I think a shove on the flop would be better like Evoke said. I agree with JWK24 with the standard 2,5 + 1 blind per limper. It would give the limpers a bigger price to see the flop and maybe making the weaker holdings fold pf, like the K7 guy, very weak play by him IMO.
But you said it's a freeroll and people are likely to see flops with weak hands and do all kinds of weak plays.
Depending on the image of the other players, the likely hands they would be limping with, and the image of the button who raised, and your own image, and if they care at all about image, you should reevaluate if you really want to see the flop. I think it's either raising bigger or folding IMO, I am more inclined towards folding.

Time Vault Champion 2013

Last edited by mr mendes 20; Fri Jan 10, 2014 at 10:25 PM..

Old
Fri Jan 10, 2014, 10:58 PM
(#12)
Since: Mar 2012
SilverStar
how can you raise with a 17 BB stack after theres been limpers? Unbelievable advice! I don't even know how people can debate that a shove is best here.

Old
Sat Jan 11, 2014, 02:14 AM
(#13)
Since: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbalerv View Post
how can you raise with a 17 BB stack after theres been limpers? Unbelievable advice! I don't even know how people can debate that a shove is best here.
AJs is not AA... 18 BB is not 10BB... I do agree if it's a turbo and players have been going all in pre with garbage (which is often the case in freerolls), then it's a shove. Otherwise I don't see the reason for getting desperate and shoving AJs pf for tourney life with 18bb when you can get called by better cards very often.

Time Vault Champion 2013

Old
Sat Jan 11, 2014, 07:44 AM
(#14)
Since: Oct 2011
With that stacksize and position, shoving AJs over the limpers is totally standard. You're not expecting to get called very often, but you have a good chance to pick up a ton of dead money. That said, this is the BRM freeroll, where villains are addicted to limp calling Ax hands, so you're actually jamming for value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnylawford View Post
Another hand to evaluate, though this one's a little more straight forward...
http://www.boomplayer.com/en/poker-h...911_3782195639
Bet the flop. Don't slowplay big hands on boards where villain can call with worse. There are several draws on a two-tone K86. As played, it's a bad beat. You got your chips in with the nuts and villain binked a 4-outer.

Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com