Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Challenges & Battleground & Member Blogs /

Raiser's Poker Goals 2014

Old
Raiser's Poker Goals 2014 - Thu Jan 02, 2014, 06:29 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Raiser’s Poker Goals 2014

Thanks to all who left some tips in my rant thread about posting poker goals. I’ve taken on-board all the advice given and below you’ll find both my short and long term poker goals. Firstly the long term goals.

5 Year Plan
2014 – Achieve SilverStar Status each month and make a profit in any month playing 10NL – 25NL
2015 – Achieve GoldStar in any month and make a profit playing 10NL – 25NL
2016 – Achieve GoldStar every month and make a profit playing 25NL – 50NL
2017 – Achieve PlatinumStar every month and make a profit playing 50NL – 200NL
2018 – Achieve SuperNova status and make a profit playing 100NL upwards.

The 5 year plan above is an overview of the main objectives each year.

Plan for 2014

Starting Bankroll - $500

Main Objectives for 2014
  • Achieve SilverStar Status each month and make a profit in any month playing a minimum of 20,000 hands at 10NL – 25NL
Sub-goals for 2014:
Learning - Each month play 10NL – 25NL on PokerStars. Spend a minimum of 3-4 hours each week studying and reviewing hand histories. Attend at least one Live Training session or watch at least one video on Cash Game poker. Post at least two hands for review in the Hand Analysis section and have a minimum of one session with a coach each month. Post graphs in the forum.
Social & Fun – Take at least one day off from the tables each week. One in a while get out to a live game and away from the computer. Spend 25% of any FPPs earned each month on a reward from the PokerStars VIP store. I’d love to have a shot at a larger live tourney, like the Irish Poker Open or a UKIPT event.
Mini-goals – Spend 75% of any FPPS earned each month on FPP satties to either the Big Bang or the Sunday Storm, Play in the VIP Weekly’s and take part in any PokerStars promotion that I am eligible for and/or have an interest in.

Reviewing Progress – Each week on Friday evenings I will post a weekly review summing up how the week went with any profit/loss and anything that I have learnt from the week. I’ll post a graph and links to any hands that I posted for review. I’ll tick off the following checkboxes as they are achieved each week:

Week One
  • 3-4 Hours Study
  • Attend Live Training Session
  • 2 Hand Reviews
  • Monthly Coaching Session
  • 20K Monthly Hands
  • Post Graphs
  • Take a Day Off
  • VIP Store Reward
  • FPP Satties
  • Play VIP Weekly
I think the above goals fall within the S.M.A.R.T. framework for goal-setting. They are Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic and Timely.
Thanks again to all of you that contributed to this thread, you’re input and advice was very much appreciated. Finally, wishing every PokerSchoolOnline member that is goal-setting for 2014 the very best of luck!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Jan 02, 2014, 06:56 PM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2010
That's a heck of a plan you've got there!

Like you say - it's SMART.

I'm looking forward to seeing your ups and downs as you go on through the challenge!

Old
Thu Jan 02, 2014, 08:02 PM
(#3)
Since: May 2012
BronzeStar
Nice one! Seems lke you've really taken it to heart, well done RR ^_^

Old
Thu Jan 02, 2014, 08:27 PM
(#4)
Since: Dec 2011
Looks good Paul!

Don't forget to spend enough time with friends and family, very important. Good luck in 2014!

Time Vault Champion 2013

Old
Thu Jan 02, 2014, 09:59 PM
(#5)
Since: Oct 2010
Really a SMART Goal.

Good Luck RR

PH

Old
Fri Jan 03, 2014, 01:49 AM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2012
Good luck Paul.

Nice set of goals there.

Old
Fri Jan 03, 2014, 05:25 AM
(#7)
Since: Feb 2011
Achievable goals there and a good long term plan. Must admit I'd never heard of SMART goals until Sandtrap mentioned them.

What is VIP store reward?

Bracelet Winner

Last edited by Ovalman; Fri Jan 03, 2014 at 05:27 AM.. Reason: added what is VIP store reward.

Old
Fri Jan 03, 2014, 06:17 AM
(#8)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Wow, that turned out so great RR ... looks like you're picking up where Sandtrap left off, showing us all the way

Really like that photo with the word 'possible' ... it's so positive

Best of luck with 2014!!

Old
Fri Jan 03, 2014, 06:39 AM
(#9)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovalman View Post
What is VIP store reward?
Hi Ovalman,

Basically just rewarding myself each month by spending some FPPs in the VIP Store:

http://www.pokerstars.com/vip/store/

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jan 03, 2014, 07:01 AM
(#10)
Since: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalraise85 View Post
Hi Ovalman,

Basically just rewarding myself each month by spending some FPPs in the VIP Store:

http://www.pokerstars.com/vip/store/

Raiser
Yeah, just wasn't sure what you meant by it.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jan 03, 2014, 08:30 AM
(#11)
Since: Jan 2012
Having a 5 year plan is maybe something we could all learn from, it seems you are taking a sensible approach and taking your time with your goals, i shall be watching this blog with interest.

All the best ImpacPoint.

Old
Fri Jan 03, 2014, 11:12 AM
(#12)
Since: Jun 2010
I did say that I would be lurking around and this is definitely a thread that I'll be checking once in a while

Paul, you're heading in the right direction. This reminds me of the days that I attended seminars on "Goal Setting". Just remember to always read your long term goals and adjust your short term goals in accordance to your progress.

Very attainable goals, now the work begins.....Good Luck

Old
Fri Jan 03, 2014, 12:34 PM
(#13)
(Community Coordinator)
Cheers guys,

I watched one video today:

One thing that was very clear from watching the video was how much I need to improve on my preflop aggression. Felix is very good at that and I saw him 3-betting preflop with hands like whereas I would normally just flat in the blinds maybe with a holding like that. Felix was good in explaining his thought process as to why he 3-bets or just flat-calls in certain spots. It's a very good video.

Played 1K hands last night and lost 2 buy-ins. I'm going to quickly look over the session in HM2 before firing up the tables again tonight.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jan 03, 2014, 04:54 PM
(#14)
(Community Coordinator)
Looking back at some hands from last night. The hand where I lost the most money was just unlucky, I ran my AA into 88 and my opponent flopped a monster with quads. He disguised it very well by just flatting me on every street until the River where he 3-bet for value but almost impossible for me to fold in that spot. I don't think there was anything I could have done on that hand to get away from it, just one of those things.

Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

The hand where I won the most money was role-reversal. I flat called out of position where I should have 3-Bet I guess and flopped a very strong hand. The turn brought the one card that should have helped my opponent but instead crippled him. I got lucky in this hand.

I've posted one hand in the Hand Analysis section which I think I played very poorly.

I really think that in the long-term this exercise will help me plug those leaks in my game

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jan 03, 2014, 07:56 PM
(#15)
Since: Nov 2010
Good to see you've set up a plan for the comming years! I'll certainly occasionally check this thread to look at your progress. Gl with your plan!!

Old
Thu Jan 09, 2014, 07:04 AM
(#16)
Since: Feb 2010
Excellent goal setting Raiser - very clear and manageable - good luck achieving your objectives.

Sandtrap set us all such a good example, by sharing his goals and making such a big success of it - great to see so many PSOers taking it on board.

I'm working on my 5 year plan - still a bit of a baggy mess but will have it sorted this month.

Never been a fan of acronyms - too many management meetings where people used them in meaningless ways - but the SMART concept is one I highly endorse.

Good luck this year and on into the future

Ed

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Jan 09, 2014, 07:18 AM
(#17)
Since: Jan 2012
Hi Paul!

Good stuff!

There is one point perhaps worth mentioning. In my experience as a teacher and with my own goals, it is very important to get a solid understanding of where you are at right now. This isn't always easy. Yet, putting in the effort will be worthwhile. Firstly, it will give you a benchmark against which you can measure your improvement. Secondly, it will allow you to better identify what specific aspects of your game need improvement thus allowing you to focus your training.

There are several ways to go about mapping out your current situation, but I personally like the Adult Learning Model. Jared Tendler utilizes this in his books. It has really helped me break down my game into managable parts and to determine where Im currently at on the learning scale. If you take the time to befriend the inchworm you won't be sorry

Cheers

Greg

Old
Thu Jan 09, 2014, 07:36 AM
(#18)
(Community Coordinator)
Hi Greg,

I think that's a very good point you make here and I've just glanced over the chapter in TMGOP1. It's an exercise I will definite undertake.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Jan 09, 2014, 09:57 AM
(#19)
Since: Jun 2013
good luck Paul... and excellent point Greg it's hard to steer a course if you don't know where you are! Look forward to following your progress RR all the best F2N

Old
Sat Jan 11, 2014, 09:52 AM
(#20)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flight2night View Post
good luck Paul... and excellent point Greg it's hard to steer a course if you don't know where you are! Look forward to following your progress RR all the best F2N
Thank you F2N,

I didn't play a lot this week as I came down with a chest infection that really knocked me for six. It seems everyone is coming down with some sort of cold, flu or sickness of some kind.

At the moment I looking over the hands that I did play in HM2 and I'm going to post some hands for Hand Analysis.

Here's one I won't post for analysis but I'll post it here as a reminder to myself not to be check-calling these spots.

I really think I should definitely bet out on the flop in these spots and show aggression.

I did post another hand for review here:

Today I'm going to work on the Adult Learning Model (Mental Game of Poker) as suggested by Greg above and post back here later with how it went for me.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Last edited by royalraise85; Sat Jan 11, 2014 at 09:54 AM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com