Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Challenges & Battleground & Member Blogs /

AfredR's Poker Goals 2014

Old
AfredR's Poker Goals 2014 - Fri Jan 03, 2014, 10:18 AM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2010
My goals involve gradually increasing volume while (hopefully) maintaining a positive roi.

Year-End Goals:

By the end of the year I would like to be able to 10 table continuous with a positive roi, hopefully around 20% (though any positve roi is good). i will do this playing mostly 45, 90, and 180 man mttsng's with a few mtt's thrown in. I will seek to improve my poker skills by reading articles and watching video's in the pokerschool archive, and participate in relavent online training sessions when I can.

Monthly goals:

My monthly volume goals will change from month to month, depending on how things go the previous month and where I feel I'm at. The adding of tables will be gradual. Before I learn to run, I should learn how to crawl well first! I will also watch 4 videos and do 8 hours of hand analysis each month. I also will post in my blog twice a month to maintain my motivation to grind!

Weekly goals:

Again, the amount of tables I play will change month by month. However,I will be playing 1 session a day for 5 days per week. I will watch 1 video or participate in a live training and do 2 hours of hand analysis.I will hopefully update this thread twice a week to keep me motivated.Also, I will spend at least 1 day a week away from poker or anything poker related. It's important to keep some sort of balance between poker and life!

Hopefully by the end of the year I'll be a 10 tabling grinding machine!

Good luck at the tables!

Old
Mon Jan 06, 2014, 07:09 PM
(#2)
Watched A video yesterday by ChewMe1 looking at 180 man turbos:
http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/art...visited-Part-1
I'm playing the 50 cent 180's right now, so it's pretty awesome
to see how someone plays a tourney with the same sort of structure.
A few interesting spots, and some what i would normally consider
loose shoves. Really showed how I should tweak my shoving ranges in
late position and short stacked. Will check out part 2 later!

Annnnnd some hands:

When the shorty shoves over my bet, and the button calls, I think this becomes a shove or fold
situation. I lean towards the shove. The button caller had been making playing pretty loose pre and
luckboxing some bad plays. So while I'm definitely ahead of his pre-flop calling range, I don't
mind getting him out of the hand either. Short stack should be shoving wide-ish, with AQ definitely
ahead of his range.
But folding isn't bad either. Calling is just spew.
----------------------------------

Take a little stabby-stabby on the turn.His min-raise looks a bit nut-edd, but I'm getting
good odds on my flush. Check/ folding turn if i don't hit.
----------------------------------

Wierd hand...all I have really is a bluff-catcher I think. But, i mean, what is he repping here?
My hand could easily be good, though...ugh!

Anyway, if you have any thoughts feel free to share them...especially on that last hand!

Good luck at the tables!

Last edited by AfredR; Mon Jan 06, 2014 at 07:13 PM.. Reason: i bads at grammer

Old
Sun Jan 19, 2014, 05:32 PM
(#3)
Hey Guys! Haven't been able to get much volume in, due to my bass player from my band being in town for a bit til he heads away again tomorrow. My bankroll's been hovering between the $29-$36 mark.

Here's where a graph would be if I could get it to work! Picture just a constant up and down in a straight line and you'll get the idea...

So yeah, I've been pogo-ing up and down. Hopefully I'll get on an uptick, and get some more volume in, by the end of the month.

Anyway, here's a couple of hands I played today that I thought were kinda interesting:

The open limper had been doing alot of it, while betting most flops and making weird plays and calls with bottom pair and stuff. So when I check I'm doing it to induce a bet from him. When he makes it a pot-sized bet, I still think I have the best hand but there's already a little under 1/3 of my remaining stack in the pot. I figure if I call, he will shut down and that will be it. However, I'm positive that he could call a shove with the worst hand and if he folded...well we weren't gonna get more money from him anyway.

Doing stuff like this is probably why my swings are...swingy!

------------------------------------------------------------

This one the villain was an excellent guy to steal from! If he didn't let it go pre, a half pot bet would usually get it done on the flop. Tight tight tight! So yeah, I flop top pair again and make it a little over half pot (thought I had my sliders set for half, gonna have to check that out). When he calls, with this player, I'm done. He's never calling with worse, my kicker's terrible, and any betting's just value-owning myself I think.

Later, and good luck at the tables!

Last edited by AfredR; Sun Jan 19, 2014 at 05:37 PM.. Reason: graphs hate me!

Old
Thu Jan 23, 2014, 11:10 PM
(#4)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Those MTT SNGs seem super popular - GL with the grind!!

Old
Mon Feb 03, 2014, 12:46 AM
(#5)
Hey! Thanks sam! Been a while since I've checked this, let alone updated! The turbo's have definitely required some adjustments. But I think the games are fairly profitable! Will try to talk about it more tomorrow...when sober heads prevail!

Have fun guys! (drunk way of saying "good luck at the tables!")

Old
Mon Feb 10, 2014, 12:37 AM
(#6)
Hey guys!

So, yeah, last month was both good and bad for me. The good? Well, did really well in the 25cent games.
The bad? The 50cent games! It seems like i did not make correct adjustments when i moved to the turbo games. Looking at how i played, it seemed liked a combo of bad adjustment, terrible icm and late game play, and run bad. Hit around 25% for itm for both buy-ins, but everything else was wrong wrong wrong.

Normally i'd post some hands...but I really think the problems would be rather self-evident.

So, I dropped myself back down from 7 tabling to 6. And i am going to focus on studying turbo games, and try to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Had some fun AND good results today at the sunday special! But...I think i'm gonna post that on my blog, just to mix things up!

Also...it's late...and i have been hanging with some friends...and i may have had a few drinks.

Good luck at the tables!

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com