Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Could I have prevented this?

Old
Could I have prevented this? - Fri Jan 03, 2014, 07:29 PM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2013
I've only been playing poker for a little over 2 weeks so I might've made a bunch of mistakes.

I was card dead and thus had quite a good image at this particular table, my VPIP was only 8%, the blinds and antes were slowly putting its toll on my stack and while I wasn't happy with my position, it was the best hand I'd had in a while, and I figured being out of position made my hand seem even stronger alongside my table image.

Someone called me and to my surprise I was reraised aswell, Villain 1 seemed rather loose and I felt like I had great odds to call.

The flop came out perfect for me, I practically had the nuts as I couldn't imagine anyone would call the raise with 32 of diamonds. I cbet for about 40% of the pot, both villains called. I figured villain 1's range would include a lot of high aces, or a lower flush draw, most likely both E.G. AQ with queen of diamonds.

I shoved on the turn trying to represent an ace, thinking his ace would be high enough to feel confident calling or that he might think I'm bluffing, I wasn't surprised to see him call.

The river was unfortunate and I had no control over that, but were there any huge leaks in my play?

Last edited by Quaquaversal; Fri Jan 03, 2014 at 07:32 PM..

Old
Fri Jan 03, 2014, 09:46 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
With a cold call and a smallish raise I would probably fold as we still have 25+ BB. With reads on the villains that may change.

Old
Fri Jan 03, 2014, 11:08 PM
(#3)
Since: May 2011
I think you played fine.

The worst is the smaller stack calling then the big stack click back to you. Then the 2 over calls to your bet on the flop (the shorty has nothing left behind)?

So the situation gets worse... Can't do much about the turn/river but the big stack didn't care pre flop with the re-raise.

You didn't say if this was a FT bubble spot or some other dynamic but with 30 bigs behind (in your stack pre open) you may be thinking how big could this pot become?

Last edited by ForrestFive; Fri Jan 03, 2014 at 11:19 PM.. Reason: turn/river

Old
Sat Jan 04, 2014, 06:16 AM
(#4)
Since: Sep 2010
Hi quaquaversal!

Thanks for posting this hand to the forum - it contains some interesting spots!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaquaversal View Post

I was card dead and thus had quite a good image at this particular table, my VPIP was only 8%, the blinds and antes were slowly putting its toll on my stack and while I wasn't happy with my position, it was the best hand I'd had in a while, and I figured being out of position made my hand seem even stronger alongside my table image.
People usually don't pay attention to if you're being tight. They'll usually only pay attention if you start to be very aggressive, say if you're on a heater.

If you don't play a hand for two or three orbits, people don't usually take notice or care, particularly at micro/low stakes.

I think KJs is too marginal a hand to open with your stack size from Early Position, you're very likely going to be involved in a hand Out of Position where your hand might be easily dominated and you'll have to fold to any of the bigger stacks that move all in.

Quote:
Someone called me and to my surprise I was reraised aswell, Villain 1 seemed rather loose and I felt like I had great odds to call.
I suppose you have to call because of the pot odds but I'm not thrilled about life.

However the flop comes about awesome!

Quote:

I cbet for about 40% of the pot
You didn't CBet as you weren't the pre-flop aggressor. I actually don't mind you leading out, but I would probably prefer to just check/raise all in when V1 CBets.

Your turn play was fine, you just got unlucky that villain hit one of his 10 outs!

Old
Sat Jan 04, 2014, 06:59 AM
(#5)
Since: Dec 2013
Oh right :P, I know it wasn't a cbet, just a mistake due to lack of sleep I guess, I thought me appearing tight might've mattered as the only hand they'd seen me play before was pocket aces, which I played exactly the same way

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com