Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Challenges & Battleground & Member Blogs /

Built-byTilt's 2014 Challenge

Old
Built-byTilt's 2014 Challenge - Fri Jan 03, 2014, 11:27 PM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2012
I am starting my 2014 thread as of now. Last week I bought a HUD and yesterday I had my first coaching session. Everything came together without too much trouble and I will get this year underway. Throughout today I am going to think about my goals, how I am going to achieve them, research and calculate, and then post them in this thread tonight.

I am going to use this month as a benchmark to see what should be attainable for the rest of the year. I will be playing 10NL and get at least 3 more coaching sessions in during this month. For now, I will just make goals for this month.

After spending hours doing calculations, talking with my coach and adding rewards and subtracting payments I have made my goals for the year. I used this first two weeks of January to kind of test myself to see where I am at now, and what I am capable of if I slowly build myself up and train harder.

Currently:
I have been playing around at 5NL, but mostly at 10NL for the first days of January. I have done one HH review and one sweat. I really enjoyed both of these especially the HH review and will therefore continue with them throughout the year. On top of that I need to do them if I want to successfully move up the stakes. After paying for these and also having a very unwelcome start at 10NL my bankroll stands at $944.31.

Yearly Goals:
$10,000 bankroll by the end of December
Winning reg at 100NL
Have a changed attitude towards poker. Treat it as a job and not as a hobby.
To stay in shape I want to be able to do 10k pull ups throughout October-December. This will be great to take my mind off poker when I'm done at the tables.

January:
20k hands
2 tables, focus on ranging, aggression, and folding
One HH review and one sweat
Don't be afraid of downswings, as I have a cushion and have a plan if one occurs.
Bankroll: ~$600

February-March
15k hands a week at 10NL
3 tables
One HH review every 10 days
One sweat every month
Make enough at 10NL to pay for the coaching. (another month where the bankroll does not grow)
Bankroll: ~$600

April-June
20k hands a week at 10NL
4 tables
2 months to build the roll up and become rolled for 25NL
Start playing 25NL with $1,250 in June.
Only one HH in April as I need to build the roll, two in June
One sweat every month
Establish myself as a winning reg at 25NL
Bankroll: ~$2,000

July-September
25k hands (at least) a week at 25NL
Build up my roll in July and Aug for 50NL
Play 15k hands a week at 50NL in Sept.
HH review every 10 days
One sweat every month
Bankroll: ~$6,000

October-December
30k hands a week at 50NL
Build up the roll to play 100NL in December
HH review every 10 days
One sweat every month
Bankroll: $10,000+

Obviously, there will be some tough times or maybe things won't go according to plan. I will stick to these goals and make it my priority to follow them. Fairly ambitious, but I believe if I really put in the hours studying and playing I can pull it off.

Last of all, I still want to keep in good shape and look after my two dogs and my partner. I wouldn't be able to even start this without her support. Also, some months will require lots of volume and during these times the last thing I want is to lose touch with what is really important. To counter this I'll add a fun challenge for the yearly goals.

Last edited by Built-byTilt; Sun Jan 12, 2014 at 10:25 AM..

Old
Sat Jan 04, 2014, 10:20 AM
(#2)
Finished my sweat yesterday, and recorded it which allowed me to listen again and write down everything I need to change. I've never been so concerned over each decision I made and hearing my coach make sounds like ooooohh, or eeeessh, wait! wait! wait! made it even harder. Eventually I was able to relax and actually had a lot of fun and had a good time listening back on it. I ended up losing a fair bit during the sweat, $12 at 10NL over ~250 hands and $23 at 25NL over ~200 hands.

Today, I had a few short sessions at 10NL where I tried to apply changes that I have to make. It was definitely scary doing things I wouldn't normally do (especially at a stake I had yet to play myself)and it did take time to adjust.
Overall, things ended up fairly well, I managed to play 1.5k hands and grinded back my losses during the sweat. As it stands now I have an overall profit of $10.17 and a BB/100 of 5.90 at 10NL. Tomorrow will be a big test to see if I can knock down a big chunk of the hands I need to play. Looking forward to it, and need to rest up.

Old
Sat Jan 04, 2014, 10:28 AM
(#3)
Since: Dec 2011
Success with your challenge! You are playing only cash or also sng and mtt? It's cool to set your goals for the short term only, I like that. But the long term should also be considered, even with just vague goals. It seems to me, anyway, very down to earth and intelligent to set your goals accordingly to a strict bankroll management when going up/down the stakes, like Felix does.

Time Vault Champion 2013

Old
Sat Jan 04, 2014, 10:56 AM
(#4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr mendes 20 View Post
Success with your challenge! You are playing only cash or also sng and mtt? It's cool to set your goals for the short term only, I like that. But the long term should also be considered, even with just vague goals. It seems to me, anyway, very down to earth and intelligent to set your goals accordingly to a strict bankroll management when going up/down the stakes, like Felix does.
I am going to strictly play 6max cash games, mostly zoom. I think the only MTTs I will play will be MicroMillions and any promotional MTT. I do know the importance of setting long term goals, but for now it's quite difficult to even ballpark what I can shoot for. After two weeks I will have a much clearer idea of what is reachable and therefore will be making long term goals then. Thanks for the heads up, have a great 2014.

Old
Sat Jan 04, 2014, 11:13 AM
(#5)
Since: May 2012
BronzeStar
Nice plan! Isn't a bit too much though planning on going from break-even to 10bb/hr? o_O

Old
Sat Jan 04, 2014, 10:18 PM
(#6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerdegre View Post
Nice plan! Isn't a bit too much though planning on going from break-even to 10bb/hr? o_O
No doubt it's going to be difficult. Definitely won't happen right away. What I meant was for my last 15k hands have a BB/100 of ~10. I don't think there is any way I can get to a BB/100 of 10 overall for this month as I still have a lot to learn, stats to find, etc... Overall for this month I will be happy with a + BB/100.

Old
Sun Jan 05, 2014, 01:43 PM
(#7)
Since: May 2012
BronzeStar
Oh, that makes more sense, thanks ^_^

Old
Tue Jan 07, 2014, 04:07 PM
(#8)
Since: Feb 2010
hey built by tilt, still not everyone got back to use about the games. so to get them out the way it has to be the original idea of $20 hu hypers. sander/adohole just crushed me. when is it your turn?

Old
Wed Jan 08, 2014, 12:34 AM
(#9)
@fifi, whenever you're free.

As for my challenge so far things were going ok, but have taken a turn for the worse. After losing AA to KK when I was deepstacked and getting it in pre-flop, and then QQ to AK, I tilted off a stack which was just awful. Maybe because this was my first week at 10NL losing in those situations made me more prone to tilt. So, what was an ok run over about 7k hands (I was holding my own) has now turned very ugly.

On the positive side, I have a hand history review today, which will be great for improving my game. The sweat last week provided me with so much help and I can't wait for the long review tonight. My post flop game is what is lacking most and I'm hoping after tonight I will have most of my big leaks fixed up.

Also, I will reach silverstar tonight, which might lead me into making a push for goldstar. I guess that will only happen if my game improves. Last of all, over this week I have started to get a picture of the volume I can achieve, the amount of VPPs I can acquire, etc... which has helped me define my goals a little better. I still need more details before I can figure out exactly what I want and how I will get there. One week to go before I write them all down!

Old
Sun Jan 12, 2014, 10:24 AM
(#10)
Goals are officially complete, I have tomorrow to rest, before I put myself to the test.

Old
Mon Jan 13, 2014, 10:55 AM
(#11)
Ended up not taking a rest today, but doing a sweat. I feel I have made a huge improvement over just a week and ended up playing very well during the sweat. Since there weren't any glaring issues with my play, I ended up talking about a few conceptional situations or theories with my coach for 15 minutes. Again, this was awesome and I will have to listen to my recording again to soak everything in.

During the first week of January my BB/100 was hovering around -10/100. Was quite depressing and there were a lot of situations where I didn't know what to do, and also where I found myself hoping for cards, which means I wasn't planning each street properly. The second week has been much better, after one HH review and two sweats my BB/100 was almost 6/100. Obviously this still means I'm in the red, but I have a lot more confidence.

Maybe I won't be down as much as I thought when January ends. Also, I was recommended to try out the regular tables to see if I found a difference. I won't me able to accumulate the VPPs quite as quickly, but I may be able to achieve a higher BB/100. Never have been into multi-tabling but will give 8-10 tables a go, when I feel I need a break from zoom.

Is there a big difference between zoom and the normal tables? Do you have to be meticulous when choosing tables or for the most part are they tougher/softer?

Old
Mon Jan 13, 2014, 11:25 AM
(#12)
Since: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Built-byTilt View Post
Ended up not taking a rest today, but doing a sweat. I feel I have made a huge improvement over just a week and ended up playing very well during the sweat. Since there weren't any glaring issues with my play, I ended up talking about a few conceptional situations or theories with my coach for 15 minutes. Again, this was awesome and I will have to listen to my recording again to soak everything in.

During the first week of January my BB/100 was hovering around -10/100. Was quite depressing and there were a lot of situations where I didn't know what to do, and also where I found myself hoping for cards, which means I wasn't planning each street properly. The second week has been much better, after one HH review and two sweats my BB/100 was almost 6/100. Obviously this still means I'm in the red, but I have a lot more confidence.

Maybe I won't be down as much as I thought when January ends. Also, I was recommended to try out the regular tables to see if I found a difference. I won't me able to accumulate the VPPs quite as quickly, but I may be able to achieve a higher BB/100. Never have been into multi-tabling but will give 8-10 tables a go, when I feel I need a break from zoom.

Is there a big difference between zoom and the normal tables? Do you have to be meticulous when choosing tables or for the most part are they tougher/softer?
I can't speak as to what it is like on the 10NL tables but in general I haven't felt the need to table select when I have played 5NL 6 max or 10 NL FR. The regs will play the same as they do in Zoom for the most part but you will probably find that the fish are a lot fishier because they are playing wider ranges due to not seeing as many hands as their Zoom counterparts.

I find that 8 reg tables feels as fast as 4 Zoom at 6 max.

Good luck.

Old
Thu Jan 23, 2014, 10:13 PM
(#13)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Finished my sweat yesterday, and recorded it which allowed me to listen again and write down everything I need to change. I've never been so concerned over each decision I made and hearing my coach make sounds like ooooohh, or eeeessh, wait! wait! wait! made it even harder. Eventually I was able to relax and actually had a lot of fun and had a good time listening back on it.

That's funny BBT lol

Great turnaround from the beginning of the month - would imagine you'll do well with whatever format you choose

Best of luck with 2014!!

Old
Wed Feb 05, 2014, 09:50 AM
(#14)
Finally back home after travelling around Asia for the last 3 weeks. Was incredible and I want to plan another vacation right away.

Now that I'm back, I have to get back on track for my poker goals. I need to play 45k hands this month so 15k hands for the last 3 weeks. I have some $T in my account from playing some hyper sats on my phone during time off in airports. Will use it all up on MTTs tonight, probably the Hot $11 and one more tonight and then get back to zoom tomorrow. Will add in one MTT each week to avoid losing my mind just playing zoom.

Guess the big volume starts soon, will see if I can keep up. Hope everyone is off to a good start to the year, good luck!

Old
Fri Feb 07, 2014, 02:29 AM
(#15)
It seems that I have forgotten how to properly play at 10NL. When I first started out I lost 13 stacks. After a few hand history reviews and sweats I worked my way back up to a small deficit of 4 stacks. After playing yesterday and today I am back down to a deficit of 11 stacks. Another hand history review seems to be in order.

I guess that's the downfall of taking time off. Will have to go back to playing 2 tables and hopefully can get back on an upswing.

Old
Fri Feb 14, 2014, 05:04 AM
(#16)
Over the past week I managed to chip away at my deficit and was doing well at cash. However, with the amount of hands I set out to grind I have lost interest in poker. I found myself only playing until my 3000th hand of a session then quitting no matter how tired I got.

Due to this I went on an MTT binge and played a few that were outside of my bankroll limits (not by much). Nothing bad happened, but I've realized I'm not one of those people who can grind a sick amount of hands, learn and adjust at an extremely quick rate, and quickly grow a bankroll.

Since I want poker to be fun, I'm going to add a side challenge. I will try to stick with my goals, just cut down the volume, but if I'm to continue playing poker I'm going to make it fun again. The only way I could think of to do this was gamble! I'm going to grind 4 tables of 2NL to build up a "side bankroll". When I have $50 I'm going to take all of it and hit up a HU zoom table. If I manage to win one or two stacks I will take the money and play one MTT of $100+. As this is a side bankroll to my cash roll I won't care too much if I lose it as I can start it up again at 2NL.

I'm only going to play 2NL after my normal sessions at 10NL are finished. My main grind will still be at that level and I hope to continue growing my roll.

Old
Sat Feb 15, 2014, 10:10 PM
(#17)
Congrats to Iggy on winning that invitational tourney, well done! Wish I could have played, but it started at a bad time for me and had no chance to play.

Since dropping back to 2NL to grind up a $50 shot roll things have been going very well. The skills you acquire when moving up definitely make things way easier when you drop back down to play the lower stakes. After 6 tabling zoom (4 6max, 2 FR) I'm up $17.18. I should be able to hit the $50 fairly soon then play a HU cash table which will be awesome.

Goal for today is to build up a $15 stack on one table. Never tried to do this before and will try to grind it up until tonight. After that, I'll have to play 10NL as the player pool will be more fishy at that time and hopefully more profitable.

Old
Sun Feb 16, 2014, 04:28 AM
(#18)
The 2NL grind is over for today. Had fun at the start, then it started getting tiresome waiting for a big hand to boost my stack up to $15. Had two tables over $10 and was just hoping for a big hand on either one. Eventually I got one to $14.91 and went all in against a micro stack with AA. He had QQ and binked a Q on the turn which was killer. So close, but I had to keep grinding. I was due for a bad beat though as I had been running very well throughout the session.

Did eventually find another nice spot with this hand:
http://www.boomplayer.com/en/poker-h...252_731DCADC28
Opponent had J10o

One good thing about setting a target to hit was I didn't focus on my cashier once during the session. After hitting $15 on one table I checked and I've managed to grow my side roll to $40.40. Didn't expect to be so close to $50 this soon, which probably means I can take the $50 and play a hu game tomorrow.

As for tonight looking forward to hanging out at the 10NL tables and maybe give 3 tabling zoom a shot.

Old
Sun Feb 16, 2014, 08:04 AM
(#19)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Congrats to Iggy on winning that invitational tourney, well done! Wish I could have played, but it started at a bad time for me and had no chance to play.

After that, I'll have to play 10NL as the player pool will be more fishy at that time and hopefully more profitable.
There were a couple of other people who weren't able to make it either - ibeko and rogger. Thought maybe the tourney must have been in the middle of the night for you? That always seems to happen to at least one person - mtts aren't really my forte, but it was lots of fun to have the chance to play everyone - mr mendes is a beast!

I've noticed the same thing with the Zoom tables - they seem ideal for the European time zone - North America at night gets super tight ... haven't really been able to turn a profit at nights in my time zone, so mostly I play weekends where there just seem to be more players like this. Have been in a downswing all month, so every little bit helps ...

Click to show hidden text

Have fun with the HU!

Old
Sun Feb 23, 2014, 12:20 PM
(#20)
I'm not even sure why I'm bothering with cash games, just came 2nd in the Bigger $3.30 after 11 hours of play.

Made a deal with 3 players left, good for $1739.63.

Only managed to save a few hands, forgot to do it as the final table dwindled down.

http://www.boomplayer.com/en/poker-h...673_64BBCA2514
http://www.boomplayer.com/en/poker-h...820_26DC018CA8
http://www.boomplayer.com/en/poker-h...816_2EEA3F9BDA

Oh and btw, awesome job Canada, definitely one of the best teams we've ever sent out.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com