Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Fold AJ utg+2 against all in?

Old
Fold AJ utg+2 against all in? - Sat Jan 04, 2014, 08:16 AM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2012
Hi Guys,

Hand:
http://www.boomplayer.com/en/poker-h...214_0E1D707F6A

Last 39 players of 2 euro MTT, first 27 pay out.

Is this is a call from my side?

VPIP of villain is 24%

Cheers!

Rene

Old
Sat Jan 04, 2014, 08:31 AM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2013
Can't call this, you are beating nothing.

You have a nice comfortable 40bb left, why risk a quarter of that for no reason? What happens if there is a shove behind you? You can't call so would be just spewing chips.

Just because the flop came with an A and a J it doesn't mean the right play is to call,

Remember the three most important things in poker:

Position, position, position.

Old
Sat Jan 04, 2014, 08:36 AM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2012
I wouldn't bother about his hand range, because of his stack size it's wider than 24% . I would bother about opponents behind me. I would shove over from the button for sure,Just to call seems to weak , raise/fold seems the worst thing to do.
It seems better to fold from UTG +2 position I think.

Last edited by Shichi-77; Sat Jan 04, 2014 at 09:39 AM..

Old
Sat Jan 04, 2014, 12:31 PM
(#4)
Since: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danutz75 View Post
Can't call this, you are beating nothing.
I disagree with this. Some people get panicky and feel that they have to start shoving with 10BB stacks (as turned out to be the case here).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danutz75 View Post
What happens if there is a shove behind you? You can't call so would be just spewing chips.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shichi-77 View Post
I wouldn't bother about his hand range, because of his stack size it's wider than 24% . I would bother about opponents behind me. I would shove over from the button for sure,Just to call seems to weak , raise/fold seems the worst thing to do.
It seems better to fold from UTG +2 position I think.
These comments have nailed the key point here. The villain's range is not our only concern, you're in relatively early position and still have 6 people to act, any of whom could have picked up a monster that will reshove against you.

So folding is an excellent play.

FWIW if you knew V4 was a good player, his range SHOULD be much tighter because he's UTG, but obviously he isn't a good player, and a lot of people at micros do strange things sometimes.

Old
Sat Jan 04, 2014, 01:02 PM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hey all!

I agree with Andy that folding is the best decision.

The one thing that I would not want to do is to call and invite the other players behind me into the pot. If I did want to play the hand (which I wouldn't), I'd re-shove to try to isolate.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jan 05, 2014, 12:31 PM
(#6)
Since: Oct 2012
ok, pretty clear.

Thanks a lot!

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com