Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

PSO Open was I wrong ?

Old
PSO Open was I wrong ? - Sat Jan 04, 2014, 07:28 PM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2010
Did I play this wrong ?

The Villain had been constantly re-raising me.
Almost every time I raised he would re-raise me quite often to where I had no choice but to fold, so I expected him to raise it up on me. He had shown down some rubbish, won some lost some but sucked out quite a bit. We are at level eleven 878 left in from 10K

Thanks to whoever responds

Old
Sat Jan 04, 2014, 07:46 PM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2011
League game or not, this is a fist-pump call, whether villain is a lagfish or an ubernit.

Folding aces pre-flop requires a pretty specific situation (e.g. bubble of satellite). This is not that situation. You got all in as a 4:1 favourite. How can that possibly be wrong?

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Jan 04, 2014, 10:15 PM
(#3)
Easiest call ever.

Old
Sat Jan 04, 2014, 11:35 PM
(#4)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Bill!

With AA or any other hand I'm going to raise with, I'm going to make a standard raise, which is to between 3X the previous bet and a pot-sized raise. A pot-sized raise is larger, so I'll raise to 2200. The opp now shoves on me. This is a dream scenario and I'm snap-calling. This far into a league game, I'd call much lighter than with AA.

The only mistake that could be made with this hand... is to NOT call the shove.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jan 05, 2014, 05:50 AM
(#5)
Since: Mar 2012
He got lucky with his 88 vs AA there Bill.
Check this hand of AA, I assumed there's no Queen with the other players but I'm all-in whatever play.
I should have shoved from the start.
Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

Last edited by TR1V1A; Sun Jan 05, 2014 at 06:07 AM.. Reason: Added player name.

Old
Sun Jan 05, 2014, 12:07 PM
(#6)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi TR1V1A!

I totally disagree about shoving.. it's too many chips. However, with AA, I need to make a standard raise, which is to 3BB+1BB for each limper.

By min-raising after a limp, the opp gets the correct odds to play any 2 cards at you... and if they get the odds, they expect to and will gain chips on average.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jan 05, 2014, 03:04 PM
(#7)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Yeah Bill, as played insta shove.

MAYBE you might find a fold on the coordinated board if he only flats your raise PF, and you check to see him shove the flop, but even there I doubt it with the image you have of him. Given the SPR going ot the flop of under 3, most flops that have AA as an over pair are going to see you doing whatever you can to assure you get the chips in ASAP. But of course that is not what happened here...

As for the comment about shoving when it comes to you, I dis-agree with that line also, and agree with John. 28BB is way too big a stack to ship in my opinion, unless you have a SPECIFIC reason to believe this is the absolute best way to assure the villain will call/shove. Seeing as how he was palying back at your raises so frequently, I'd say the EXACT thing you;d want to do here is give him the chance to continue that pattern. Shoving over his open is not going to give him the chance to play back at you wrongly; he might CALL wrongly, but then calling isn't his leak, raising too often is...

Double Bracelet Winner

Last edited by JDean; Sun Jan 05, 2014 at 03:06 PM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com