Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Brags, Beats and Variance /

I'm still in shock

Old
I'm still in shock - Sat Jan 04, 2014, 07:51 PM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2011
Talk about bad beat, can't get any worse than this and this is the 3rd time today its happened

Old
Sat Jan 04, 2014, 08:45 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
Shocked? Why?

You are a short stack with less than 1 orbit left. The villain is getting about 2:1 pot odd. If your range is limited to TT+ AT+ is breakeven for them to call.

Remember, they are playing your range, not your hand.

Old
Sat Jan 04, 2014, 10:08 PM
(#3)
Have to agree with Joe,

Why are you shocked?

you lost with Aces, guess what I'd be more worried about how i got to be short stacked.

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Jan 04, 2014, 11:42 PM
(#4)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
I agree with Joe too. The opp only needs 30% equity to call and KJ vs a short stack shove range has well over this. Against a 30% range, KJo has 49% equity.. so the opp expects to gain 19% everytime they call here.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jan 05, 2014, 12:08 AM
(#5)
Shocked because it was the 3rd time today with the exact same cards, not the same chip count or the same position, but the exact same cards none the less, me with aces and the villains with kj with the board coming up with a FH for the villain.

I guess I should have been clearer in my original post that my shock was specifically aimed at the triple event

In this particular incidence though your comment is bang on about how my concern should lie with how I got short stacked grade b.

And I agree Joe, I do need to remember that its my range not my hand Something else I need to add to my study list

Last edited by auntyrae; Sun Jan 05, 2014 at 12:24 AM.. Reason: additional info

Old
Sun Jan 05, 2014, 07:58 AM
(#6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntyrae View Post
Shocked because it was the 3rd time today with the exact same cards, not the same chip count or the same position, but the exact same cards none the less, me with aces and the villains with kj with the board coming up with a FH for the villain.

I guess I should have been clearer in my original post that my shock was specifically aimed at the triple event

In this particular incidence though your comment is bang on about how my concern should lie with how I got short stacked grade b.

And I agree Joe, I do need to remember that its my range not my hand Something else I need to add to my study list
Play enough poker and you will see just about everything. We just tend to remember to exceptions, especially negative ones, more easily. (It's a survival thing I guess.)

And you learned a couple of thinks by posting your mini-rant. That, my friend, is ++EV.

Old
Sun Jan 05, 2014, 09:43 AM
(#7)
Since: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrumpinJoe View Post
Play enough poker and you will see just about everything. We just tend to remember to exceptions, especially negative ones, more easily. (It's a survival thing I guess.)

And you learned a couple of thinks by posting your mini-rant. That, my friend, is ++EV.
And dignified, Intelligent, Respectful responses like that are +EV for the community as a whole.. Touch of class there Joe!

Old
Sun Jan 05, 2014, 11:35 AM
(#8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntyrae View Post

Yes three times same hand will give you pause, I took a break yesterday for an hour when my Pocket kings made trips twice in 24 hours to complete a str8 and knock me out.

This shows not as Joe says anything unusual with the poker but rather that I have not yet mastered the mental side of poker.

I am at the stage where I can say yes I know i could be beat there (rather than the old "how could he play QTo there to my raise!!!) but I still struggle at times to keep my balance and play solid poker. Taking a break helps me.

Study is helping even more. reading the forums helps as I come across situations Like this one Where had it of happened to me I would be steaming and I can comment more subjectively as I didn't have to go through the pain. Hopefully when it does happen to me next I remember this post......

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jan 05, 2014, 12:51 PM
(#9)
Thanks for the feedback Grade b and everyone else, studying is top of my priority list for the first part of this year, I figure the more I can absorb the better chance I have of improving my game.

Getting smacked with these types of hands can only serve to teach me the other aspects of the game I need to brush up on, especially the mental side of it. That side of the game is something I really need to wrap my head around...

Another thing to add to my "study list" ... geesh its getting longer and longer, lol

Old
Sun Jan 05, 2014, 01:31 PM
(#10)
Many thanks Stix.

Emotional events like this can be turned into a lesson learned/reinforced by open minded players like auntyrae and others.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com