Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Challenges & Battleground & Member Blogs /

My 2014 Challenge: Climbing up the stakes in 6max Zoom

Old
My 2014 Challenge: Become a profitable regular at 25NL Zoom - Sat Jan 04, 2014, 10:08 PM
(#1)
Since: May 2012
2014 GOAL: Move up the stakes in 6max NLH Zoom, starting at 2NL, with an aim of being a profitable regular at 25NL 6max Zoom by the end of the year.

Here's how I'm going to do it:

- Regular training, focussing on cash games & Zoom at different stakes.
- Taking more time to review hands & make notes on the opposition, something I should have done more in 2013.
- Focus on 6max Zoom but also play tournaments, including the PSO Premier League
- Follow a bankroll management plan throughout the year.

This is where it starts to get a little more difficult... 2014 is going to be entirely risk-free for me. I'll be starting my challenge with only the $50 that I won in the 2013 Time Vault promo & I will not be adding anything more to it. Yes, PokerSchoolOnline have already paid for my whole year on Pokerstars

BANKROLL MANAGEMENT

CASH

Start at 2NL - Move to 5NL at $150 (30 buy-ins)
5NL - Move to 10NL at $500 (50 buy-ins), back down to 2NL at $100
10NL - Move to 25NL at $1750 (70 buy-ins), back down to 5NL at $400

TOURNAMENTS

Very simply, I need 100 buy-ins to play any tournament (MTTs & S&G)

And that's it I'm not going to over-complicate things like last year & I'm not even going to set myself a bankroll or VPP target. The goal is simply to be a profitable 25NL 6max Zoom regular by the end of the year, starting with just my $50 prize won in the 2013 Time Vault promo.

I've also posted a new blog with this & a few more details.

Last edited by Paul7036; Mon Jan 13, 2014 at 09:45 PM..

Old
Sun Jan 05, 2014, 01:46 PM
(#2)
BronzeStar
Gogo Paul! Make us dream in 2014

Old
Mon Jan 13, 2014, 09:44 PM
(#3)
I made a decent start to the challenge building the bankroll up from $50 to $61. However, I've decided to call it quits. Taking on such a challenge requires me to invest a lot of hours into poker both to get the bankroll up & to earn VPPs as I'm not really wanting to give up my Silverstar status. Last year I had the same problems when playing 5NL Zoom & found myself playing so much that I didn't have the time for training or reviewing hands.

I'm going to continue playing full ring Zoom at both 10NL & 25NL which will get the VPPs rolling in quickly & give me plenty of time for training. I'll be playing plenty of MTTs (buy-ins up to $22) too on my days off work. Hopefully I'll still be able to win a couple of thousand dollars over the year but the main aim for me is to be a profitable 25NL FR Zoom regular by the end of the year.

Old
Mon Jan 13, 2014, 10:31 PM
(#4)
Since: Apr 2011
Hey, was going to congratulate you on doing better than me at very similar 6m zoom challenge, then saw you were back to FR! GL either way!

Old
Tue Jan 14, 2014, 03:45 AM
(#5)
Since: Oct 2010
Good Luck Paul...

PH

Old
Thu Jan 23, 2014, 10:31 PM
(#6)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul7036 View Post
I made a decent start to the challenge building the bankroll up from $50 to $61. However, I've decided to call it quits. Taking on such a challenge requires me to invest a lot of hours into poker both to get the bankroll up & to earn VPPs as I'm not really wanting to give up my Silverstar status. Last year I had the same problems when playing 5NL Zoom & found myself playing so much that I didn't have the time for training or reviewing hands.

I'm going to continue playing full ring Zoom at both 10NL & 25NL which will get the VPPs rolling in quickly & give me plenty of time for training. I'll be playing plenty of MTTs (buy-ins up to $22) too on my days off work. Hopefully I'll still be able to win a couple of thousand dollars over the year but the main aim for me is to be a profitable 25NL FR Zoom regular by the end of the year.

Was so inspired by what you were able to accomplish last year Paul - thought you did a much better job of finding a better balance with everything.

Hopefully this year we'll both do even better - best of luck to you in 2014!!

(Was sick for the first 3 weeks of January - sorry this is so late coming ... haven't even gotten around to posting my own goals thread for 2014, and it's almost 2015 already - yikes! lol)

Old
Tue Feb 04, 2014, 11:39 AM
(#7)
Thanks all I hope you're feeling better now Sam, thanks for the nice comments & good luck to you too.

After last year's challenge I needed a bit of a break from poker in January so I haven't played so much. However, I managed to maintain my Silverstar status (helped with 125 extra VPPs from promo) & win a $20 PSO Premier League prize which helped me to $64 profit over the month. Not much but better than losing

I withdrew quite a bit of my bankroll after completing last year's challenge & I currently have around $600 to work with. For the rest of year I'm going to be trying to build that bankroll back up using good bankroll management skills. That means I'm currently playing 10NL Zoom (full ring) & wont be playing any more 25NL Zoom until my bankroll is into 4 figures. I need 100 buy-ins to play any tournament although the odd shot at bigger tourneys is a possibility (eg. Sunday Storm, Micro Millions main event). Hopefully those tourneys will be back within my bankroll soon anyway

I keep saying I'm going to look at doing more training but never seem to get round to it. I have to do this if I'm going to move forward in poker. Last year I read volumes 1 and 2 of 'Winning Poker Tournaments One Hand at a Time". I got volume 3 for Christmas & have just started going through it. There are so many videos in the PSO Library that will be useful too. Live training is a little more difficult as I'm usually at work during the sessions (Tue-Fri evenings/nights) but I'm going to try & attend more often too.

February might be another quiet month for me in poker as I have some decorating to do in the house. I'm hoping for another Micro Millions & WBCOOP series in March though so will have to be back & ready to invest more time into poker for those

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com