Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Brags, Beats and Variance /

Why online poker and free roll tournaments make me want to pu ke

Old
Why online poker and free roll tournaments make me want to pu ke - Sun Jan 05, 2014, 05:49 AM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2013
Yes it is a free roll but why is there so many donkey players out there. I am a new player that wants to better my skill and try to place in a league. And maybe win a small pay out or two so i can play a small buy in cash tournament. Because i can't make a cash deposit so i try hard to play my best. And for the most part i do well i tend to finish in the top 10% most of the time and have got 3 pay outs so far and i have only been playing for 8 days but i have only made 7 cents not a lot but still. And when i have pocket Kings and i pre flop bet 12 times the big blind and have another player call with a ten five off suit and get a five on the flop. Only to have them call my all in and make tens and fives on the river makes me sick. Why play poker at all if people are not going to play the game but look at it like bingo. It takes no skill to call or push all in all the time or call an all in with such trash cards and win. I have been taking the poker school tests and playing by those guide lines. But when you have players that play that kind of game all the time. It makes me think why should i even play.

Old
Sun Jan 05, 2014, 06:55 AM
(#2)
Since: Dec 2010
**moved to a more appropriate forum**

Quintuple Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jan 05, 2014, 07:51 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
Playing freerolls is high variance, but winnable over the long term. Poker reminds me of a motivational poster that read "Attitude determines Altitude." Winning poker requires good decisions. A poor attitude makes that difficult. Work on those and your roll will grow and you can move up to lower variance games.

But always remember:
>> "You win more from your opponents bad play than from your own good play!"

And as you move up:
>> "If you can't identify the fish at the table, it's you."

Good decisions!

Last edited by TrumpinJoe; Sun Jan 05, 2014 at 02:34 PM.. Reason: Wording

Old
Sun Jan 05, 2014, 12:15 PM
(#4)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi IneedCard886!

One thing to look at is how you're betting. It seems from this that you're betting more with better hands (a big overbet with KK when a standard raise is to 3BB+1BB for each limper). Players that bet more with better hands and less with marginal ones are basically turning their cards face-up to an observant opponent. Yes, opps will make bad plays, but we need to look at our plays too and see if we do anything wrong in the hand.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
thank you - Sun Jan 05, 2014, 03:41 PM
(#5)
You are right a level head in the game makes for a better player. And even though it makes me mad to see people play like that. If i can learn to let it go my game should improve and i shall try thank you for you input.

Old
You learn something new every day - Sun Jan 05, 2014, 03:45 PM
(#6)
I had not gotten that far in the poker school yet but this is good info and i will implement this into my game. And as a new player i know i still have a lot to learn but i love this game and i want to be a better play. So any new info and tips are great and i thank you best of luck to you in your games.

Old
Sun Jan 05, 2014, 03:47 PM
(#7)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
That's the goal for all of us.... to keep learning something new every day in order to make us better players.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com