Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

10Nl 6-max Zoom AKo OOP

Old
10Nl 6-max Zoom AKo OOP - Sun Jan 05, 2014, 09:20 AM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2012
Hi, villain is unkown.

How do you think the way I played the hand ?

I chose to check call the turn since the board was dry and we were deep.

Cheers!

Old
Sun Jan 05, 2014, 10:32 AM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2011
Hi,

I think you pf and flop play are fine.

Turn brings T, of course not a great card.

However I think you should be barrelling this turn most of the time as you may be getting things like AJ+ calling or premium pocker pairs like JJ/QQ/KK calling you once more.

On the turn, you have made yourself vulnerable and look weak as if you are holding JJ+ or a weak Ace.
and any good zoom reg player would see that and take advantage of the situation as they did and turn their hand into a bluff.

I believe he may just as well be holding AJ/AQ/AK, also pocket TT or any other pp.
Also their bet sizing on turn 2.90 / 4 - is kinda large,
considering he is a reg (having over 100bbs on zoom), board is dry, if he has a set or two pair,
he will for sure try to PRICE you in to calling, and to me his bet sizing says 'get out the pot'

his river play awfully looks like he has the goods and wants super max value lol

My optimal play:
3b pre, cb flop, cb turn(if raised, fold), re evaluate river (if he shoves like he did, im folding)

Old
Sun Jan 05, 2014, 10:32 AM
(#3)
Since: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by fp_boss77 View Post
I chose to check call the turn since the board was dry and we were deep.
Can you explain this thought process a bit more? Then I'll give my full analysis.

Old
Sun Jan 05, 2014, 02:05 PM
(#4)
I chose to check the turn since he's range is most likely Ax, sets or JJ-KK. This way I get more value of his weak hands. And try to slow down if I'm behind.

I don't see many players running huge bluffs 150BB, especially with the 10Nl pool which is full of calling stations.

I decided to let him bet his weak hands.

Second, if I bet the turn, how should I react on rivers ? If I bet and get raised I'll have so much money invested that I'd be inclined to call (and most of the times be behind). And if I check the river after bet the turn, should I check fold ? or check call (what most likely will be an all-in) ?

I think we should take a pot control line with TPTK hands deep stack.

Old
Sun Jan 05, 2014, 09:44 PM
(#5)
Thanks FP,

I think your reasoning is fine if we had a read on the villain that he likes to float or rarely fold to a CBet and is an aggressive player who's capable of bluffing.

However the villain is an unknown and he's called a decent sized 3Bet preflop, so I think his range is fairly narrow, maybe something like 22-QQ, ATs+, AJ+, KQ, QJs.

Because the flop is so dry, I doubt the villain would call without some sort of made hand, therefore I'd narrow his range to 44, 77-QQ, ATs+, AJ+. He's not folding Ax to a CBet, he might float with an underpair just to see what you do and slowplaying a set makes sense. If he's less of a calling station, you might even remove all none-set pocket pairs from his range.

So you're in a Way Ahead/Way Behind situation. You're crushing his Ax holdings and are crushed by his sets. Therefore this is a classic spot for bet/folding the turn and river. Keep betting for value and fold to a raise/shove, you are far from pot committed.

If you want to check to induce bluffs because of your weak line, then I suppose you have to call the turn and river bets in order for your plan to make sense. Villain may not be pulling off a big bluff here, he might be value betting AQ/AJ because your hand looks like KK/QQ that doesn't want to let go.

Old
Mon Jan 06, 2014, 06:17 AM
(#6)
But if I fire te turn, with a bet sizing similar to his ( or even larger ).

On the river the pot is $10 and he'll have $11 behind.

How should I size my bet on the river ?
I mean, if I bet smallish 30%-50% and he shoves. Isn't the price so good for us to call since he could be overplaying AQ or even have AK himself ?

Cheers!

Thanks for all the insights guys!

Old
Mon Jan 06, 2014, 06:26 AM
(#7)
Btw... a couple a days ago I was watching one of the xflixx videos (I think it was the last one on 10NL Zoom).
And he had a similar situation with AK OOP in a dry board.
Where he decided to take a pot control line in one of the streets. And I thought it had even more merit now that I was deep.

It'd be interesting to hear his insights on this hand.

Old
Mon Jan 06, 2014, 08:06 AM
(#8)
Quote:
But if I fire te turn, with a bet sizing similar to his ( or even larger ).
I certainly wouldn't bet larger than this because of the dry board. I'd bet something like $2.50.

Quote:
On the river the pot is $10 and he'll have $11 behind.

How should I size my bet on the river ?
I think half pot is fine.

Quote:
I mean, if I bet smallish 30%-50% and he shoves. Isn't the price so good for us to call since he could be overplaying AQ or even have AK himself ?
Look at the line you've taken - you've 3Bet preflop and bet all three streets on a really dry board. This line looks super strong, I think AK is towards the bottom of the range that you'd take this line with. I don't think he's ever raising AQ/AJ on the river against this action. He might play AK like that but I think it's way more often that he's only going to be raising the river with AT or sets. You'd be getting about 3.5 to 1 on a call and if you're raised on the river, I highly doubt that you'd be good more than 22% of the time.

If you planned to check/call the turn and river to normal sized bets, I think bet/folding is a much better line to take.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com