Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

10NL: Defending SB

Old
10NL: Defending SB - Sun Jan 05, 2014, 04:51 PM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2012

Villain is 20/17, 50% st BTN, 33% FT3B (3);(121 hands)

Is my 3bet from blinds ok vs a min-raise? His FT3B is low, but only 3 sample.

I'm happy to call his raise on flop with nut flush draw.

Old
Sun Jan 05, 2014, 05:53 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlk73 View Post
... His FT3B is low, but only 3 sample. ...
Three instances of a situation is not a sufficient sample to base a decision upon.

Old
Sun Jan 05, 2014, 10:53 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi carl,

I think it's fine to 3b light here vs. this villain, being a TAG who does steal from the button. Although the sample size is somewhat small for sure, it's enough circumstantial evidence to mix in some light 3b's vs. his button opens, and ace blocker hands are a good candidate for that.

Post flop: I think we're c-betting way too large, we can fire .85 here, it's plenty. If we bet smaller and he decided to peel with a hand like QcJh, well that's fine, maybe he'll turn his flush and make a big mistake.

As played, I don't think calling the raise is optimal... I think we should move all in. We have a very narrow value range to move in here, AK+ basically, so we can have some fold equity. We can also catch the villain with the Qh making a move, or a hand like KJs that is trying to "see where it's at" and is planning to fold if you reraise. But beyond all that, we have some decent hand equity working for us with the gut shot and nut flush draw. Against a hand like KdQd for example we are the favorite on the flop with over 54% equity. If you include KQ, KJ, some pockets with a heart like TxTh, and 55/33, we're still basically flipping 50/50 on the flop with these outs. So leveraging some fold equity with our semibluff and realizing our equity when he calls off (seeing both turn and river) seems preferable to me. Plus it provides some balance for the times we are holding a small set or aces ourselves and reraising.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Jan 11, 2014, 04:56 PM
(#4)
Since: Aug 2012
Great comments, thanks. A key point is the fact that I have substantial equity with the NFD & gutter.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com