Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Challenges & Battleground & Member Blogs /

My Poker Challenge for 2014

Old
Cool
My Poker Challenge for 2014 - Mon Jan 06, 2014, 03:13 PM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2010
Hy to every PSO members

First of all let me introduce. My name is Igor and I`m 32 years old. I`ve been playing poker for quite some time but only for fun and hobby. I`ve played MTTs, SnGs and cash. So I`ve decided as of this year to make a poker plan to motivate my self play better and move up the stakes.

GOALS:

-be reg at 10NL zoom 6-max

-be reg at $7 45man, also I˙m gonna play some 180man but 45 are my main play

-achieve Silver star, if possible Gold star

-raise my BR to $1000 for start

PLAN AND BRM:

Starting BR: $200

since my main game will be SnGs, I`m not gonna use aggressive BRM:

$200-$350 $1,50 45man, 2NL zoom 6-max(2tables)
$350-$600 $3,50 45man, mix two tables of 2NL & 5NL (move down at $300)
$600-$1000 mix of $3,50 & $7 45s, play 4 tables of 5NL zoom (move down at $500)

The reason of this cautionary BRM is because my life and work are taking to much time , so I find very little time for poker, but I will try.

WEEKLY: -to play between 2-3k hands
-to play 20-30 SnGs
MONTHLY: -to play 10k hands
-to play 100 SnGs

So as of tomorrow, my challenge starts. Also I`m gonna try be as active here as I can, I will update this tread one or twice through week.
Also to make my game better watch couple of videos, and attend to some live training, which this site makes it so great.

Well for now this is it, good luck to everyone who made challenges and hope you`ll crush.

See you at the tables!!!!!

Old
Mon Jan 06, 2014, 09:27 PM
(#2)
You can do it.

Good Luck!!!

PH

Old
Wed Jan 08, 2014, 04:42 PM
(#3)
Here`s a little update I have only played a little of 2NL Zomm 6-max

HANDS:773
WIN: $4,53
BR: $204,53

I`m still long way from my weakly play but I`m going to try see it done

Old
Sun Jan 12, 2014, 03:28 PM
(#4)
Well it`s time to conclude the first week, I didn`t step up to much but I`m glad to have done my weeks plan. I have played one MTT, The Big $2,20, only because it`s early in the morning so I could have the rest of the day to focus on my primary goals.

2NL 6-max Zomm:
HANDS: 3139
PROFIT/LOSS: +$8,40

SNG/MTT
PLAYED: 21
BUY-IN/WINNINGS: $26,20/$22,46
PROFIT/LOSS: -$3,74

BR:$204,66

Had some rough start at $1,50s 45manmaking only one final table, but manage to took 2nd place at $0,50 180man, but only 21 games down so there is still lot of games to be played.

Cash games went pretty good, thx to xflixx`s videos, but still there is some room for improvement. I should take one day to review some of hands and to post them here so I can here your opinions.

All in all hope the next week will be better!

Old
Sun Jan 19, 2014, 06:58 PM
(#5)
Update:

So, after two weeks I`m not really satisfied with my overall play. I played more of 6-maxzoom cash and some little of SnGs and MTTs. I hope I will get more volume into my play since what ever we play it needs volume to reduce variance.

As of cash play, I have 4-table 2NL 6-max zoom, and even doe I`m in little profit I`m not quite satisfied with my play. I pull up my stats by position from HM2 and saw that I`m loosing on BTN position. I have image of that.So since I made to the chrome star and need some little until 150VPPs so I have access to all vids here at PSO, I˙ve decided to spend next week on getting my game better and see where my leaks are.

My BR stands at $185, which is still good and quite enough to play but I need to sort this thing out so I can move up.

That`s it for now hope I will improve and get better. Gl to all!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HM2.jpg (102.0 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by delta2109; Sun Jan 19, 2014 at 07:01 PM..

Old
Thu Jan 23, 2014, 06:14 PM
(#6)
Hi everyone

Played 10k hands at 6-max zoom, and I`m up a little here`s a pic
http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...1&d=1390517936

As I said, I`m going to take some time to see where I`m at. To see what aspects of my game need improving. The good thing at these micro stakes is that you can really improve your game without hurting your BR to much.

I`ve started to read "Mental Game of Poker", and it`s great. There is a great stuff in that book that can teach me to be mentally prepared.

I`ve collected 150VPPs, so now I can watch all the vids in library, and I`m going slowly but steady start learning.

Gl and see you at the tables!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cash graph.jpg (96.8 KB, 10 views)

Old
Fri Jan 24, 2014, 12:03 AM
(#7)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
The Zoom vids in the library are awesome!! They taught me everything I know

Really liked The Mental Game of Poker too - GL with your grind!

Old
Tue Feb 04, 2014, 04:16 AM
(#8)
Thx Trusty, gl with your plan!

A little update. Haven`t played much recently. This is my January graph for 2NL 6-max

It`s not much of a volume but still I`m learning and there is a whole year in front of me to get better and go up the stakes.

So for the February, I`m setting my self to try and play around 20k hands. The start of this month was pretty rough with 2 hands where I lost my whole stack.

Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

This one is pretty standard, only 8 is betting me and he has it. Well that`s poker.

This is second, and I fell like I should have get it all-in OTT.

I have some work to do with setting my HUD for 6-max. If anyone have some points of direction on setting it up, I believe that there is Arty`s blog about types of players and how to color code them, so I`m gona look at it.

That`s it for now, and gl to all of you!

Last edited by delta2109; Tue Feb 04, 2014 at 04:34 AM..

Old
Sun Feb 09, 2014, 04:15 AM
(#9)
Hy all, here is a recap of this week. I`ve made my HUD and it is helping me a lot, just need more time to read the stats properly. I`m really getting the hang of the 6-max cash game and I`m hoping that with hard work and learning, soon I`m gona try and shoot to 5NL.

So I have the last week graph

As you can see I had two really bad days where I made some huge mistakes(which I will show you), but after that the good thing is that I realized what mistakes I was doing and the next two days I`ve managed to make a good run.

Even though I have BR to take a shot at 5NL I don`t want to rush myself unnecessary until I grasp all that I need to know(getting used to my HUD, reading stats properly, etc.).I do hope that after about 40k hands at 2NL I will have better understanding of has my play got better, and could I move to the next level.

On to some hands:

Here are the two hands that IMO I`ve butchered them. And these two shows how to play them differently. In the first hand IMO I should only call a 3-bet being IP, I would have saved my self a lot of $$$. In the second,I should have folded to 5-bet push, without the proper reads on how tight/loose he is I should treat his push as AK,KK+ therefore I should fold. But never the less I`m still learning and I`m glad that I˙m aware of my mistakes which I can then resolve.

For the last here is I think the biggest win at the table. It was a tough call, but his huge bet on the flop left me

In conclusion:
# of hands: 14 811
BR: $185,53

Gl to all, and I hope you will have a prosper February!!!

Old
30k hands - Wed Feb 19, 2014, 05:50 AM
(#10)
Hy every1

I`ve played 30k hands of 2NL 6-max Zoom, and here is an update of that.

This is the January graph:

February graph:

I was all over it here

30k hands overall:

I think I`ve played well, but not great. There are still some leaks that I need to work on. I˘ve made some awful mistakes which I think I˛ve resolve.The Zoom cash games are really high paced games and they have a high variance to which I need to adapt.
But I`m glade that I made mistakes on these lowest limits and that I`m aware of those so I can resolve them before I move up the stakes. Even though the game is different as you go up the stakes I think that resolving my leaks is best at those lover stakes.
I`ve set up a goal to play 50k hands and hope I will end up shoving a good profit after I will then take a shot at 5NL.

Played also some .50c SnGs and made some FTs, so all in all felling good about myself and hope that BR will continue to go up.

Gl at the tables!!!

Old
Mon Mar 03, 2014, 04:27 PM
(#11)
Hy every1

Here is a recap of February and up to date play:

Hands
: 44 764
Profit: +$59,51

I can say that I`ve did get better, thx to videos, trainers and all PSOers who are always here to help. Still a lot things to do, and videos to watch to get even better.
Here is a February graph:

It`s a steady growth with some bumps on the road

For March the goal is to take shot at 5NL and see how will it go.

That`s it for now in the next post I will put some miracle rivers hands!

Old
Miracle rivers - Mon Mar 03, 2014, 04:36 PM
(#12)
Miracle river #1

Miracle river #2

Miracle river #3

All this hand were played yesterday, and I must say it is pretty hard to not tilt, but I`ve learned that if I feel that I`m going to tilt and make bad plays is to end session and get back when I`m calmed down lol

Gl at the tables and hope you`ll run good!!!

Old
Tue Mar 11, 2014, 08:49 PM
(#13)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta2109 View Post

I`m just preparing to take a shot at 5NL, and right now I`m working on my HUD and some ranges. What ranges do you use and did you color code them? Did you use some references?

Hey Delta, figured I'd come visit your thread for a change

Those hands up above are hard to look at, but cool to hear a week later things are going so much better you're about ready to check out 5nl

Yeah, I've been using the recommended ranges they give in the Leak Buster program - although, the VPIP figures seem a bit high? Think they're the only ones I've been making a bit tighter, but all the others yeah, that's what I've been using for color coding my HUD, just like they give.

These are the ranges they give for play at 5nl 6-max Zoom:

Quote:
vpip: 19.6-28.9
pfr: 14.1-20
af: 2.3-4.1
pfr/vpip ratio: 72.5-91.2
early up pfr: 9.2-19.5
middle uo pfr: 14.8-22.4
c/o uo pfr: 25.1-33
d uo pfr: 35.8-52
sb uo pfr: 25.4-41.4
steal%: 31.2-40.2
bb reraise steal: 7.6-13.6
sb reraise steal: 7.5-12.4
bb fold to steal: 65.8-83.9
sb fold to steal: 78.2-88.6
squeeze%: 4.5-7.6
3bet%: 5.9-9.1
4bet range: 1.6-2.8
vs 3bet call%: 14.6-31.6
pf pos. awareness: 1.7-3.1

flop cbet%: 59-79.1
flop cbet% success: 41.8-55.4
flop fold vs cbet: 45.9-63

turn cbet%: 38.3-55.3

wtsd: 23-28.2
w$sd: 50.8-58.6
w$wsf: 44.1-52
river call efficiency: 1.7-2.5

The color coding's sometimes helpful with monitoring my own play too it seems - like when I start to get impatient with being card-dead and start to monkey around by playing silly cards in late position, then sometimes my stats'll start to creep up in a way they shouldn't, stuff like that lol

GL GL with 5nl!! gogo delta, hope you crush!!

PS. Eh ... tried to make the numbers neat, but they wouldn't show right May try to neaten them up tomorrow ...

Last edited by TrustySam; Tue Mar 11, 2014 at 08:53 PM..

Old
Wed Mar 12, 2014, 03:07 AM
(#14)
So basicly under those stats are tight/nitt players and above loose/fish players? You use 3-color codings.
I`m playing a little bit to what colors and ranges give for each player style, but also trying not to complicate to much.

Ty for support hope the shoot will went well!

Old
Wed Mar 12, 2014, 07:25 PM
(#15)
BronzeStar
Yeah, exactly - except for the ones that are the other way around, like fold to c-bet, etc.

My HUD for 5nl was a lot different than it is now - here's a pic of one from last year, but the AF by street was a recent addition that I wound up taking out pretty soon after:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustySam View Post

The hands you posted in HA look good - like your fundamentals look really solid, and like you're ready for 5nl

Have some notes I made last year while I was supposed to be busying grinding with some observations of the different levels - they're not very detailed, so I went looking through some old hands, but am too embarrassed to share them ... my game was sort of rough at the time

Anyways, not sure if this list'll be very helpful, since there's not much there, but thought I'd share it just in case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustySam View Post
Comparison of Play at the Different Stakes

Since it's the middle of the year, I've taken a break from the tables this week to do a big picture assessment of stuff. And as part of that put together a bit of a description of the play at different stakes of 6-max zoom. It's still in point form, but it might be interesting to hear how other peoples' experiences compare

Updated: July 26, 2013

2nl

General Description of the Player Pool
  • lots of loose passives - limpers, callers

Skills to Have/Learn
  
• ABC poker - betting strong hands (and learning that TPTK isn't oftentimes strong hand by the river when playing 100bbs deep)
• pot odds - like that TPTK only has about 5% equity versus a set on the flop, or that a flush draw plus over by the turn only has about 25% equity. Also pot odds for really wet boards where everybody's on a draw

5nl

General Description of the Player Pool
  • people are tighter, have a fold button
  • aggression levels are higher

Skills to Have/Learn
  • 3betting for value is more common with a wider range of hands than just AA and KK (especially from the blinds)
  • blinds stealing is much more prevalent (since people are more capable of folding)
• c-betting is also more common (since people fold more, and blinds stealers are relying more on position when opening with that wider range)
      • but it's maybe a lot of 'one and done' type?

  • floating/bluffing seems to be more common in response?
  • hand reading as well becomes more important, once people start playing that wider range
      • but at this point, ranging in terms of holdings like 'straights', 'flushes', still seems to be good enough?
  • folding 2nd best hands starts to become more important, since tags are only continuing with strong hands as well
  • improved bet sizing

Also, my move up to 5nl was at the same time as a promotion that was taking place at PSO, called the 'Full Ring, 6-Max Challenge', and one of the requirements was that we were supposed to post updates of our play in this one thread - we all started at 2nl, but most of us who signed up for the promo were just getting ready to try out 5nl, so it was kind of cool to be able to see hands and stuff from other people who were in the same spot. Variance played a BIG part so, that was interesting to see ...

Here's the link to the progress thread where a bunch of us posted updates on our shot at 5nl in case you might find this interesting too:

Team 6-Max results and comments thread

GL GL delta!!

Old
Fri Mar 14, 2014, 05:16 PM
(#16)
Haven`t played much these days, like I said I`m working on my HUD and watching some vids, and preparing to take a shot at 5NL. I`ve make my HUD, thx TrustySam for some pointers and help, so I`m gona give it a try these days.

Still I`ve played some 2nl these month, so here is graph:

With a lot to go and improvements to make I can say that I`ve beat this level. The result so far is:

Hands played: 52 979
Net won: $75,61

Not great, but also not bad. I`m really exited to take a shot at 5nl and hope to climb the ladder.

Old
Fri Mar 14, 2014, 05:45 PM
(#17)
Today I`ve played MM12 and it was really interesting. When you have a lot of loose Russians guys at the table the fun is guaranteed. I haven`t cashed but there was some interesting plays out there.
At the start I was getting all trash hands and trying to stay on starting stack. After 45min into the game this hand came up(against two Russians)

Even though I didn`t feel comfortable calling 3-bet, but when first raiser called a 3-bet I thought if I call and hit a set I could take one or both of them. At the end it could`t get any better.

And then this hands came all against the same guy

First hand:

Second hand:

After that I went down to 5BB, but made my way back and get my stack to 20BB, until final blow

Third hand:

Final score
Me-Fish Russian 0:3

Well It was fun as I said, still a lot of tournament to play I hope I`ll catch and maybe even cash in at some of them

Gl to all and hope you run better see ya!!!

Old
Sun Mar 16, 2014, 07:53 AM
(#18)
Got a really bad beat this weekend. I took a shot at 5NL and got down 6BI, nothing was going my way. A lot of set-ups and then some miss played hands all that bring me down quite a bit.
But that`s poker I`m gona take some time to clear my head, watch some vids and hope thing will turn around.

So the next few days I`m chilling out and gona get back when I`m ready.

Gl to all, see ya around!!!

Old
Mon Apr 21, 2014, 04:14 PM
(#19)
HY every1 I`m back!

Well after a little of rest and some things sorted out, I have return to playing poker.Over a past couple of days I was studying over some of my play and trying to see what I should improve. Well there is still a lot to improve but I`m keeping myself at steady pace.

This month I haven`t played much just to maintain my VIP status, but I hope that I will get volume at March.
This is my graph for now

I have also finished 4th at Hotter $2,20 for $500 which has boosted my BR quite a bit.I`m also a little disappointed for not shipping it for there was some spots that I think I could played differently.Maybe I could send my HH to the couches for a review.
So with health BR I can move up and take shoots at higher limits, but still I need to study more and prepare myself.

Gl to every1 at the tables!!!

Old
Thu Apr 24, 2014, 05:10 PM
(#20)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta2109 View Post

I have also finished 4th at Hotter $2,20 for $500 which has boosted my BR quite a bit.I`m also a little disappointed for not shipping it for there was some spots that I think I could played differently.Maybe I could send my HH to the couches for a review.
So with health BR I can move up and take shoots at higher limits, but still I need to study more and prepare myself.

Gl to every1 at the tables!!!

Hey Delta, thanks so much again for being there to cheer me on to my 4th place the other day - in my case, this FT might be a one-shot deal, so it might have been a once-only opportunity to see me go deep

Congrats on your 4th as well!! Exciting news to year you're going to be testing out higher stakes now And this 4th place for you could be like GarethC's 4th place Sunday Storm finish ... that got followed up with that even bigger WCOOP final table a couple of months later - like, am sure you've got a lot more successes to come on your future

Really happy to see you doing so well!! Go go Delta!!

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com