Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

$11 7.5K : Flatting AKs IP : Paired flop, river trips : Optimal villain bluff line

Old
$11 7.5K : Flatting AKs IP : Paired flop, river trips : Optimal villain bluff line - Tue Jan 07, 2014, 01:49 AM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2013
Wasn't sure how to title this thread, but I'll try to make it more it clear... there was a certain line the villain took as the original PFR. I wanted to construct/hear comments on the villain's line taken, and what would have been more optimal (as villain) - specific as to how the board ran out. This is not so much how I played the hand with AK.

Villain stats (V): 59 hands
39/28
Flop cbet OOP - srp, 100%(2)
Flop AF 4.0
Call turn bet 50% (2)
River AF 2.0

I did opt to just call here and not raise for value, even though it's pre-antes, as:
(1) I had a read I'd at least get 1+ street(s) of value from V, and
(2) the possibility of the SB squeezing (who I have some history with)

After V reverse floats the turn, what equity does would you hold against an IP villain's betting range here (who floated the flop)... Only to just lead out with a 1/3 pot bet on the river, when the river peels trip J?

The perceived continuing range as V, is quite narrowed when calling the T bet, but is still around 17% (from 28%).

IP, a villain (me) can be floating wide here on these paired boards, and in this case with A high. By reverse floating the turn, wouldn't you want (need) -as V- to bet very big at least on the river or jam... and not give this option to the IP villain?

With perceived equity on the river of still 65-68%, as V, wouldn't (shouldn't) you shove as a bluff line, after reverse floating the turn?

I guess, there is a min. requirement for a particular IP villain type for this to work, where they have a tendency to float wide on the flop IP.

Thanks for commenting...

Old
Tue Jan 07, 2014, 02:12 AM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2012
What do we rep?

Jx basically because QQ+ would 3b pre.

I really don't expect him to bet/fold a full house here very often.

Old
Tue Jan 07, 2014, 02:19 AM
(#3)
Probably should add that Villain would have seen me on this hand as:

6/0

Old
Wed Jan 08, 2014, 11:26 AM
(#4)
Since: Jan 2012
Hi Marc Rae

Ok firstly we need to assign a range for villain, as the hand played out I think his range is polarized to 99/KQ/A10/AQ/AK and perhaps something speculative like 89s.

'After V reverse floats the turn, what equity does would you hold against an IP villain's betting range here (who floated the flop)... Only to just lead out with a 1/3 pot bet on the river, when the river peels trip J?'

10x or a missed draw imo, villains bet looks like either a blocker bet or a cheap bluff attempt with his missed draws as I wouldn't expect villain to bet/fold any overpairs or 10x hands.

'IP, a villain (me) can be floating wide here on these paired boards, and in this case with A high. By reverse floating the turn, wouldn't you want (need) -as V- to bet very big at least on the river or jam... and not give this option to the IP villain?

I think you're giving villain too much respect. It's unlikely that villain is on this type of thinking level and all he is trying to do is merely call a bet in hope of hitting his draw but if we switch things around and put ourselves in villains shoes, I don't think we need to be betting big on the river when we miss our draw. It's likely that the guy IP 'you' has a made hand more often than not in this scenario so betting out isn't great imo, especially when it's the Jc.

'With perceived equity on the river of still 65-68%, as V, wouldn't (shouldn't) you shove as a bluff line, after reverse floating the turn?'

Cram our 6300 stack into a pot of 2350? I don't think so, especially in this situation where it's very likely that our opponent has a made hand. He's not going to fold 'in most cases' any full house bigger than 10's full.

Cheers, Chris

Last edited by ChewMe1; Wed Jan 08, 2014 at 11:29 AM..

Old
Wed Jan 08, 2014, 04:53 PM
(#5)
Thanks for your time Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChewMe1 View Post
I don't think we need to be betting big on the river when we miss our draw. It's likely that the guy IP 'you' has a made hand more often than not in this scenario so betting out isn't great imo, especially when it's the Jc.
I think so too, and the bets I've seem him showdown with were 60-75%. And with my perceived nit stats, is THE only reason to try to take the pot away on the river. In hindsight, jamming maybe was overkill, but I do try to use this later in the game where I do over pot jam when I have the nuts.

Cheers

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com