Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

25c 90 man - HU

Old
25c 90 man - HU - Tue Jan 07, 2014, 10:36 AM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2013
Unsure if calling was okay here

Old
Wed Jan 08, 2014, 02:11 PM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Hiya!

Reads are needed to really decide if calling was ok here.

Obviously if you have a read saying he will jam small and mid pp here, ATo plays a lot better, but is still a little behind.

Versus a 20% shove range, your ATo is about breaking even. Versus a 20% range to shove though, the villain will be at the top of that range half the time and at the bottom of the range half the time. So realistically you probably would want to be sure you have BETTER than break even equity versus his range to call.

If you have info saying he will never jam his big cards, and only jam his mediocre ones, that helps too.

So all in all, ATo is a medium/good strength hand whi9ch might be good here, and might not be; it all depends upon what you know about your opponent.

Hope it helps!

-JDean

Double Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Jan 08, 2014, 04:57 PM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2012
I don't shove there. it's a lot of chips to shove for me.

Old
Wed Jan 08, 2014, 06:13 PM
(#4)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shichi-77 View Post
I don't shove there. it's a lot of chips to shove for me.
I tend to agree Shichi...

This is a touch deep to be putting yourself into a guessing game sort of calling spot, and it strikes me that ATo is going to be that sort of guessing game unless the villain is pretty obviously off the chain.

I think for me, if the villain isn't shoving at least 1 hand in 3, I am probably waiting for a better spot.

Double Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jan 10, 2014, 12:47 PM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi Nash,

Sorry it took so long for a response... personally I lean towards folding here, but I agree with JDean it's read dependent and you haven't given reads, which is bad since you absolutely should have some being HU at the final table.

If I felt like I was outmatched by this opponent then I'd lean towards taking spots like this, and if not then I lean towards pasing them. 30bb's is a pretty big shove though regardless, so I think folding is fine without additional reads.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Jan 11, 2014, 03:46 AM
(#6)
My apologies for not posting stats. Villain was TAGish on the few tables before the FT and his stats HU were 71/23/2 over 76 hands, most of them HU. Mine were 63/42/2 at the time.

Frankly I called hoping to flop an T or better as he had been shoving low pocket pairs before this hand HU. Bad ideas calling in the hope of maybe making a pair?

Old
Sat Jan 11, 2014, 07:08 AM
(#7)
Since: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBNash View Post
My apologies for not posting stats. Villain was TAGish on the few tables before the FT and his stats HU were 71/23/2 over 76 hands, most of them HU. Mine were 63/42/2 at the time.

Frankly I called hoping to flop an T or better as he had been shoving low pocket pairs before this hand HU. Bad ideas calling in the hope of maybe making a pair?
Ouch 23% raise range is a nit in heads up
With such stack try to get to post flop . or call his shove from AJo,88+ with 25bb+, If he is short stack
you can wide your calling hand range .

Old
Sat Jan 11, 2014, 07:10 AM
(#8)
Since: Oct 2011
You want to know how your hand plays against villain's range. If his shoving range is solely pairs and AK, then you're getting it in bad. If you believe he's also shipping hands like KT or T9s, then you might be ahead of his range.
For you to be flipping with his range, he needs to be shipping about 20% of hands. If he's shipping wider than that, calling is fine as you'll be ahead of his range.

----     Equity     Win     Tie
Hero    49.54%  46.16%   3.39% { ATo }
Vill    50.46%  47.07%   3.39% { 22+, A7s+, A5s-A3s, K8s+, Q9s+, J9s+, T9s, A8o+, KJo+, QJo }

I prefer a fold here. For 30bb effective, I think I want something like AJ+/77+.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Jan 11, 2014, 07:16 AM
(#9)
Since: Jan 2013
It is rather obvious that your opponent was a pretty bad player, shoving that deep stacked.
So why risk it on what looks like it's going to be a flip most of the times, when you can wait for a much better spot.
Yeah just fold.

Last edited by GamblingProp; Sat Jan 11, 2014 at 08:19 AM..

Old
Sun Jan 12, 2014, 09:50 PM
(#10)
BronzeStar
Quote:

If you weighted his range toward shoves equating to small/mid pp based upon observable data, then what Langolier said is even more effacacious. You want to court big flips if you feel you might be even or at a skill disadvantage, because it might be the best spot you get to chip up. You want to AVOID those big swings this deep if you feel you are better than your opponent, because it is likely the fact you will tend to make fewer mistakes than he will can result in you being better off whittling him down, thus allowing him more chances to make mistakes.

As a side note, Jerry Yang, the year he won his ME title, showed this to a tee. He played pots which were much larger than his opponents, and also played very strongly (read: big chip moves) in just aobut every hand he played. He did this mainly because he felt in raw skill and experience, he could not necessarily measure up to his FT competition.

Double Bracelet Winner

Last edited by JDean; Sun Jan 12, 2014 at 09:58 PM..

Old
Sun Jan 12, 2014, 10:40 PM
(#11)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Quote:

Bad idea, yes. You should call if you think you're AT is enough ahead of his range to do so. You should call if you think you're outmatched and need to gamble. Based on the stats you have (even though it's a limited sample size) and his overbet shove on this depth of money, I would say neither is true, so just sigh/fold.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Jan 13, 2014, 03:25 AM
(#12)
Thank you all for the feedback.
I did not feel I was outmatched and will pick a better spot next time instead of risking 1st position to a flip.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com