Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

9man $3.50 turbo checkraised on river

Old
9man $3.50 turbo checkraised on river - Tue Jan 07, 2014, 06:42 PM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2013
Hi

This hand happened:
http://www.boomplayer.com/poker-hand...389_DDAFEB4AD2

Basically I open with QJs in the cutoff and one limper before me.
The BB and the limber both call. I am the smaller stack of the three, and 7 players still in the game.

Flop QJ4 gives me 2 pairs and BB minbets, limper calls so I raise them modestly (4BB)

BB calls and limper folds. At this point I am putting BB on some sort of a draw or weak made hand.

Turn 4. villain checks I bet 40% pot , he calls.

River blank villain checks.

At this point I considered checking behind, but decided to make a tiny value bet instead and to call if check-raised.

Villain check-raises me all-in, and I did call.

Was this a crazy line?

my reasoning was:

If villain had a monster he would surely have valuebet the river instead of risking a check-behind. In addition I thought that very small part of his range beat me taking int account his betting. most AA and KK would have 3bet PF for example.

If villain had a weak made he might be more disposed to call a small riverbet that a large one.

If villain had a busted draw he might take my small bet as weakness and go for a bluff.

Old
Sun Jan 12, 2014, 08:39 AM
(#2)
Since: Dec 2013
BronzeStar
Preflop: early in that deep i usually raise 3BB+1/limpers, but its not a big deal here
Flop: i would raise a bit more like 180-210
Turn: this bet can be higher too i guess like 50-60% of the pot
Btw on the river You decide to valuebet, you have potsize stack here, so if he raises you have to call. If you dont want to call anything further just checkback, but well You already said that

Villian almost never has AA or KK here and you feel like he has a 4, well checkback

Old
Sun Jan 12, 2014, 09:23 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
** moved to NLHE Tournament Hand Analysis **

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Jan 13, 2014, 07:33 AM
(#4)
Since: Sep 2010
I think the main area of improvement to take from this hand is your bet sizing, you were betting too small thus missing out on value.

I might raise a touch bigger preflop because of the limper but there is nothing wrong with the size you made it.

I think your flop raise is way too small. People typically min-donk bet with a mediocre one-pair hand (middle pair or bottom pair) or a draw and they want to see a cheap turn, it's almost a blocking bet. You should just pretend this bet is a check and make a normal-sized CBet of something like 2/3 pot, about 240 chips. By making your raise so small, you're giving your opponents the right odds to call with hands like KT, T9 or a flush draw.

The turn is a pretty safe card, I think villain has almost no 4x hands in his range apart from 44, which is now very unlikely. However it does put another flush draw out there so hands like AThh, AJhh, have just picked up equity.

Again I'd bet something like 2/3 - 3/4 pot, if he is on a draw and misses, you might not get paid anything on the river so you should be looking to get as much money in by the turn as possible.

All the draws busted so I would value bet the river. I would be about 1/3 to 1/2 pot to try and get KQ or AJ/KJ to call. You could also just shove the river if you think villain will call this sizing with top pair.

If you watched last night's Sunday Special with Dave, he talked about the tiny bet to induce the opponent to go crazy and bluff. This works better when you're Out of Position as you're trying to represent a weak blocking bet. When you're in position, you don't need to block bet because you can just check, therefore a bet size like this looks really like value. However it is too small and the opponent would likely call bigger.

If you had bet bigger on the flop and turn, you would have been able to get all in on the river more easily without your opponent needing to do your betting for you.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com