Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

2NL 6 Max vs River Donkbet against Unknown

Old
2NL 6 Max vs River Donkbet against Unknown - Wed Jan 08, 2014, 04:00 PM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2012
Very few reads, by which I mean none, on the limp caller.

Pre, flop and turn are all standard but when he led out for pot on the river, I just felt that he could be in there with some random crap that either had me beat on the flop or had rivered me. AT, KT,QT, JT. I think at 2NL those hands can conceivably limp/call. There are other Tx hands and 8x hands, mostly suited, that I think he can take the pre-flop action with although they would have to be really stationy to get to the river with just a paired 8.

At the time, I just didnt feel I was good here, did I just wimp out here?

I'm trying to stop being so attached to my Aces and to take the hint when people are telling me that I am behind.

Old
Thu Jan 09, 2014, 02:34 AM
(#2)
Since: Jan 2012
Hi bhoylegend!

This was an interesting spot. Raising pre is a must as you did. The limp-caller's range is going to be very wide at 2NL. Paired flops polarize the situation. Either you are way ahead or way behind. With AA, I think it is safe to assume that you are normally way ahead. The turn doesn't chance much. Then the board pairs again on the river with another 8.

In general, big river bets like this are for value and I would fold a single pair hand rather than make the 51bb call. Since we are playing against an unknown I would give him credit for having a hand. However, what makes this spot tricky, might the villain be mistakenly value betting with an overpair JJ, QQ, KK or AA in addition to all the 10x and 8x hands as well as air? I have seen players "slowplay" big pairs like this often enough at 2NL. You will need to win the hand at least 33% of the time to make calling profitable. Without a read on the villain I think this is going to be close. Yet, since there are so many clearly ev+ spots at 2NL I would fold here as you did and wait for a better spot.

GL and have fun at the tables!
Roland GTX

Old
Thu Jan 09, 2014, 05:11 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2012
Hi Roland,

Thanks for the analysis. It comes to pretty much the conclusion that I came to.

I could call here and I could be good on a call but I just felt that for a PSB, at the micros, on the river. It didn't look like a bluff. I have seen the slowplay line with the big pairs before at 2NL too but I thought it best to err on the cautious side on this hand. I'd only invested 26bb by the river. He could be bluffing or value betting a worse hand. In the end, I came to the conclusion you did, I get so much value with sets/straights/flushes and GII in more clear spots that I could afford not to make this call.

Thanks.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com