Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

25NL 6Max Zoom - Firing 3 Barrel Bluff

Old
25NL 6Max Zoom - Firing 3 Barrel Bluff - Thu Jan 09, 2014, 07:54 AM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2010

Unknown villain

I felt that villain was going to be relatively weak here more often than not because of the limp preflop and the passive line he took. I felt like he might have had some sort of 6x, maybe 76, 66, 56, he might even call a flop bet with an underpair or 99.

The turn was an interesting card. Obviously during the hand I felt like I could rep the 8 or continue to rep an overpair and decided to fire another barrel. However looking back at it, this is probably the worst card to fire a second barrel on because it improves villain's range far more than it improves my perceived range. Should I have just given up?

Once villain called my turn bet, the prototypical scare card comes on the river. I felt like it was unlikely that my opponent had an 8, he would have raised at some point either OTF or OTT. I didn't see how he could call two barrels with A-high on such a wet board, so I felt this was a good card to fire a third barrel and get him off his hands like 66, 99/TT.

Was I being too optimistic and fancy here or is it a decent line to take?

Old
Thu Jan 09, 2014, 08:13 AM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2012
I like that line,I made mistake couple of times giving up OTR, because without river bet this line is incomplete. He can't call 3 barrels with 7x or 5x and I'm fast sure that's what he is holding . If he will call, next time I'm going to charge him with pot bets

Old
Thu Jan 09, 2014, 09:44 AM
(#3)
Since: Sep 2012
Dont bluff the fish.

That being said I think you'd be more credible of having an A if you checked back the turn and bet the river.

Old
Thu Jan 09, 2014, 12:12 PM
(#4)
Since: Jan 2013
Yh definitely not barreling the turn if he has got a pair and its connected hes never folding that turn and i dont think the A is that much of a scare card because he could easily make a 2 pair on that card.

Dont know about your flop bet though i would normally give up with QT here, maybe i should be betting here i dunno.

Old
Fri Jan 10, 2014, 11:03 AM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi Andy,

I don't mind the flop bet, but I really dislike the turn bet. This flop texture does hit a fair bit of his limping range. The stuff it misses would probably fold on the flop. His passive play is just a fish indicator, so the turn bet is basically trying to make the fish fold a pair and/or draw (good luck with that) on what is a safe turn card for him. Why did you feel like you could rep the 8? As the preflop raiser I don't think the fish is ever putting you on an 8, if he's even ranging you. There are a lot more 8x hands in his limp/call range than your raising range as well, so it's a card that is better for his range, and won't dissuade hands like 99 or A7 from calling again. I am not a big fan of barreling this spot without a read that we are up against a fish with a low fold to flop c-bet and high fold to turn c-bet (i.e. they like to peel the flop light and/or float, but give up to the 2nd barrel frequently).

River is the proverbial scare card, so I understand the desire to fire at it, but it may be optimistic vs. a fish. It's also optimistic vs a good hand reader... had you checked back turn, AK/AQ look very reasonable to hold, but barreling turn makes it look less like you hold those on this board texture, and more like 99-AA, so the ace wouldn't be an exciting card for you to be betting unless you just filled up. (As an aside, against a solid reg, we should value bet JJ-KK imo for exactly that reason).

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jan 10, 2014, 12:04 PM
(#6)
Since: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLangolier View Post
Why did you feel like you could rep the 8? As the preflop raiser I don't think the fish is ever putting you on an 8, if he's even ranging you.
I realised this looking back at the hand in preparation for posting it on here. I've got a bad habit of sometimes just making randomly aggressive plays when my opponent shows weakness.

I agree with everyone that the line I took makes no real sense, checking the turn is way better than firing another barrel.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com