Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Challenges & Battleground & Member Blogs /

Fadyen's 2014 Goals

Old
Fadyen's 2014 Goals - Thu Jan 09, 2014, 10:39 AM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2012
Fadyen's 2014

For the year of 2014 I have some simple goals I want to work towards, some of these are a continuation from my 2013 goals, some new. Much of what I want to achieve is not necessarily measurable on any real scale so this year I also want to put a bit more emphasis on moving up stakes too.

General Gaols

-Become a more skilled and wiser player. Constantly working on one's games is essential.
-By years end I want 25NL reg to be within the realms of possibility. Considering my current rate I don't know if this is realistic to be there, so in sight is my general goal and certainly solid winner at 10NL should be achievable.
-Work on my mental game. The main areas I have identified are overall motivation and my stamina and focus at the tables.
-Once I have built up a routine I want to stick to it. Changing things has been something I am guilty of and I want to stop that. (More on this in guidelines)
-Work on my overall fitness and well-being. This one is from last year and is more a life goal but I believe it can have a huge impact on my poker, especially affecting my mental game so that's why it's here.

Guidelines/Rules

As my challenge continues the idea is to gradually build on things as I go in order to maximise a sustained growth. I will do so by implementing some guidelines and routine in order to achieve the above goals.

Firstly my general routine:
Mon-Fri: These will be my main days for grinding, with one day somewhat more relaxed in order not to burn out. Each day will start with a meal followed by a workout/exercise. One day a week should be a more intense workout so I actually see some tangible results from this. After the workout I will have my main grind session. After the session dinner and then on some days I will have a second grind session, other days will be time to relax/have fun.
Sat: Essentially a day off for the most part. If there is some big series on or a nice tourney then I might play but no real commitments for this day.
Sun: Will consist of either some MTTs or some review/learning or a combination of the two.
Also throughout the week I will need to make sure I have time allocated for my PSO duties and other work/chores outside my poker life.

I would also like to have a minimum number of hands per week which will gradually increase throughout the year as my focus and skill at each stake increases. The only time it should decrease will be during shots to move up stakes, as number of tables will decrease at first. Currently the target is approx. 5k hands per week.

I would like to attend live trainings and watch educational videos as and when I can and make sure I keep working on my game. Also self review and hand analysis will be essential and I will be doing this most likely on the Sundays I am not playing MTTs (this is likely to become more detailed after Feb when I have more volume to do detailed reviews of). I will post in this thread some hands and general updates on this progress and intend to keep posting monthly blogs with a general review of what's been happening.

I hope these goals and guidelines are realistic and achievable. I believe they are and hope with the help of PSO and all my friends here I will attain them and in the process hope I can help some of you to do the same with your goals. So good luck and good decision for 2014 folks!

Tournament of Champions Winner 2013

Bracelet Winner

Last edited by Fadyen; Thu Jan 09, 2014 at 10:42 AM..

Old
Fri Jan 10, 2014, 06:28 AM
(#2)
Since: Jan 2012
GLGL!

Old
Fri Jan 10, 2014, 08:33 AM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2011
Goals seem sensible to me. Sustained growth as a player should certainly be possible. GL!

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jan 10, 2014, 09:56 AM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2010
Good Luck!!!

PH

Old
Fri Jan 10, 2014, 11:45 AM
(#5)
Thanks everyone! The start to this year hasn't exactly been smooth sailing so it's nice to have some support. Also on the plus side I had my first profitable 5NL Zoom session last night. A short session mind you but it keeps my shot alive

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Jan 11, 2014, 04:38 AM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2012
Good luck on your goals Chris.

I've no doubt you will be able to achieve them

Old
Sun Jan 12, 2014, 04:26 AM
(#7)
Well I would love to give a nice positive update but quite frankly I've been not at my best. My 5NL shot seems to be struggling to get anywhere but I still feel it's early days and I have had a few coolers for pretty large pots.

Now as part of my continued goals something I didn't really mention was the PSO series which I always try to crush. Well this month has started poorly. Day 1 I pretty much ran bad in the triple stud, not much I could do there. I really still can't play FLHE well either so that was a bust. Then the deepstacked hyper, I normally like these but after taking an early chip lead I went so card dead and tbh I just didn't seem able to find any spots. Not sure if I was already getting tired by this point or not but definitely fatigue played a part in my poor play of the late game and I had a bunch of mistakes there. Day 2 started better with a cash in the Badugi, although I made a big mistake in not standing pat on one hand and it cost me so I only managed 5th. Then the 2-7 SD, normally my favourite event, I messed this up bad. Again I think fatigue played a part in the mistakes I made. After that I barely stayed awake for the HU which was a short affair as my opponent hit some big hands that it was fairly impossible to get away from.

So after that I made the decision to go to bed and I'm feeling so much better now after my first good night's sleep of the year. Looking forward to some fun events tonight like the bounty event and if I can win some sattys I might even play some other MTTs on the side.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jan 12, 2014, 07:20 PM
(#8)
Well my run in the PSO series continues to be abysmal, mainly due to me playing badly to be fair. After I get coolered or a bit of a sick beat I tend to get aggro and run into something. Rookie mistakes.

However I did satty into the Storm again and once again cashed! Eventually I lost all in pre JJ vs AQo so I got it in good-ish. And out of over 50k runners I was 1215th. Not bad eh? Just over $94 which I believe is my biggest cash ever so happy days

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jan 12, 2014, 11:07 PM
(#9)
Since: Apr 2011
Nice result in Storm. Congrats.
Now I'm wondering whether all us min cashers meant bigger prizes further up?

Old
Sun Jan 12, 2014, 11:53 PM
(#10)
Well there were certainly some huge payouts up for grabs. Make the top 1k for over $100, normally that kind of money usually takes a bit of deeper run.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Jan 15, 2014, 08:46 PM
(#11)
Almost a week into my challenge now and things haven't really gone to plan. I can't seem to get myself into the routine I want due to a combination of problems. Stress being a major one. At the moment I still can't seem to get my sleeping pattern back to normal which is basically causing a chain reaction of failures to do other things throughout the day. Not sure if it's because I'm sick or just stressed from other problems or what. Speaking of which the main other problem being a slight cashflow issue, not major but enough to be annoying so I'm considering having to withdraw part of my bankroll temporarily. This would mean I'm taking a bit of a chance continuing to play a little bigger games than before but would also mean I can focus on poker and not be distracted by life while I'm sitting at the tables.

As for being at the tables, although it's been very little volume, I'm feeling more comfortable at 5NL. Had over a stack in profit from just a few hundred hands today so that was a nice confidence boost although I'm aware it's most likely just due to variance. Then again my first few session I was well below EV so I'm due lol. Also the trick of physically writing down my problems so I can come back to them after my session has helped a little I think so big thanks to Jared Tendler for that one.

Hope I can sort some things out over the next few days so next week is better.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Jan 20, 2014, 04:38 PM
(#12)
Start of another week and I'm determined to get things on track. Actually got my workout in today although I did waste the morning sleeping in since my alarm didn't go off. And I should get my 1k hands in for the day so hoping to keep that trend up.

As far as how last week went, not great. Had a tough time sticking to my schedule and it made a few problems with me playing when I was tired and caused me to play badly. Despite that I did manage a few cashes in the PSOTCOP and finished 5th on the RM leaderboard. Not quite what I hoped for but it's a start.

As for my $215 Sunday Million ticket I won from the yearly board I had planned to use it this coming Sunday however I noticed this ticket is also eligible to buy in to TCOOP events. And after having a look Event 3 looks pretty tempting. It's a knockout event and at a decent time for me. Also since it's a turbo it means a deep run wouldn't take me a really long time like the SM would so focus issues shouldn't be as much of a factor. Also the chance for KOs means I don't have to cash to get some return although of course no return is guaranteed but it does give some more opportunity. So I might play it.. I'll have to think it over though.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Jan 21, 2014, 10:57 AM
(#13)
Hardly got any volume in today and already a couple stacks down. Just seem to be running big hands into really weird bigger ones. Starting to question how villains play at 5NL because I can't figure out how these villains are getting to the river with the kind of hands I'm seeing. Perhaps I need to up my aggression? I dunno.. Confused.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Jan 23, 2014, 04:29 PM
(#14)
TCOOP event 3 was a fail.. bust super early making a big semi-bluff and get snapped by top pair. Had 14 outs and didn't hit. It was probably a bad play to make but 7 levels in and it was the first hand I had played where I wasn't defending my big blind. Feels like I wasted my ticket now tbh, ah well.

Bracelet Winner

Last edited by Fadyen; Thu Jan 23, 2014 at 04:38 PM..

Old
Thu Jan 23, 2014, 11:57 PM
(#15)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
With the skills you have that earned you the ticket in the first place, am sure you'll have more chance to play bigger ticket tournaments in the future Fadyen - congrats on the deep run in the Storm, and best of luck with your goals this year!!

Old
Fri Jan 24, 2014, 01:26 PM
(#16)
Thanks Trusty, I was a little down last night after it went all wrong but it was a freeroll for me after all so I'm not so bad. And overall it's been a good month so far so hopefully things keep going in the right direction.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jan 26, 2014, 05:22 PM
(#17)
Well just took down the PSO Tournament of Champions! What an awesome result It's something I had been hoping to get pretty much since the start of last year. The plan was to take down the yearly leaderboard which I did and now TOC makes it official, player of the year for 2013 for the PSO series.

Now I just need to run that good in my regular games lol.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jan 26, 2014, 05:26 PM
(#18)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fadyen View Post
Well just took down the PSO Tournament of Champions! What an awesome result
Even though there was no huge monetary prize this is a huge achievement in terms of poker skill. You've toppled a long list of quality players in those monthly leagues and to be crowned 'Champion of Tournaments' is fantastic!

Well played mate!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Jan 27, 2014, 02:17 AM
(#19)
Since: Apr 2011
Congrats on becoming a champion of champions. Well deserved.

Old
Mon Jan 27, 2014, 03:33 AM
(#20)
Since: Feb 2013
Great result!

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com