Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

5NL 6-Max Zoom: line check on flopped oesfd

Old
5NL 6-Max Zoom: line check on flopped oesfd - Thu Jan 09, 2014, 11:00 AM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2012
This hand is from 5NL 6-Max Zoom. I had no hands on the villain which at least indicated he was unlikely to be a solid reg. Since I would have position on him I called with my speculative hand from the big blind. At 5NL I don't mind playing such low suited connectors.

I got a dream flop but was facing lots of action from the villain. I know my odds of improving, but I can't be sure if my flush outs are actually good. I kept raising since I have a good chance of improving beating overpairs, top pair hands etc and expected to have some fold equity. I rarely get all in postflop with an unmade hand, but this seemed like the spot to do it.

Does my line seem sound?

http://www.boomplayer.com/en/poker-h...850_09759C1944

Thanks!

Roland GTX

Last edited by Roland GTX; Thu Jan 09, 2014 at 12:33 PM.. Reason: spelling :)

Old
Thu Jan 09, 2014, 11:21 AM
(#2)
Since: Feb 2013
Grasshopper to Master:

You are a favorite to any pair OTF or str8draw and about 40:60 to sets and (higher) flushdraws.

I do believe flushdraws are a big part of his range starting from ~Q9 and up but any pocketpair, AJ+, 9-10, will also all be in his 3-bet range (b/c of the small 2-bet, question below) on this board and we beat all (except 55, 88 & JJ).

I can't do the math but i guess you're not a big favorite nor a big dog...

Question: why do you 2-bet so small OTF ? why not 3x / 4x ?

Sweet turn!

Old
Thu Jan 09, 2014, 12:32 PM
(#3)
My typical raise size is between 2.2 x and 2.5x. (I wouldn't go 3x unless it was a 3bet.) Here I kept to the small side because that seemed the best way to keep the villain in the hand. He could be c-betting his whole range at this point. It wasn't until he 3b that I realized he had a hand and that this was going to escalate to an all in situation.

Yeah, the turn was fun. I haven't had many straight flushes. But, all the chips went in on the flop

Old
Thu Jan 09, 2014, 01:25 PM
(#4)
Since: Apr 2012
Rather aggro play, i am not really sure about the hand though, since we really cant know whether villain is not taking the same line with Ax hearts, even KQ, KJ hearts maybe, i am sooooo lazy to look up pokerstove and play around with it... Glad it worked out for you.
Play with full stack.

Old
Thu Jan 09, 2014, 10:52 PM
(#5)
Since: Sep 2012
Played fine.

Why are you playing 5nl?

Old
Fri Jan 10, 2014, 05:41 AM
(#6)
Since: Sep 2010
I think you played this hand well Roland.

I've had a play around with some of possible villain ranges and whether villain is only playing like this with value hands (sets, two pair, AJ, overpairs) or value + flush draw, your hand equity is always somewhere between 48.5-50.8%.

So because your hand equity is flipping against all of villain's range, any +EV you are going to get from this hand is by fold equity, which means that the aggressive line you took has to be optimal.

Old
Fri Jan 10, 2014, 05:51 AM
(#7)
Since: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by spand42 View Post
So because your hand equity is flipping against all of villain's range, any +EV you are going to get from this hand is by fold equity, which means that the aggressive line you took has to be optimal.

Cool eyeopener. "You are coinflippping so aggro will give you an +ev edge"

I sometimes feel like a noob after an analyse.
"What the hell am I doing if I can't see those open doors " Anybody feels the same way?

Old
Fri Jan 10, 2014, 06:21 AM
(#8)
I agree spand42. I did the same thing last night in equilab and always came out pretty close to 50/50. I must have some fold equity (villain actually nearly timed out before calling) making the line seem pretty good. I didnt want to analyze my own hand and was curious if another analyzer would get the same results (ranges) in equilab/pokerstove.

@fkleefstra Getting an eye opener is exactly what we should hope for with an analysis. That means we are learning. It is a good thing
Thanks!

Roland

Old
Fri Jan 10, 2014, 06:29 AM
(#9)
Since: Sep 2010
Another plus side to getting it in on the flop - your equity won't be 50% on the turn . If the turn comes a brick, your equity will probably drop to 25-30%.

If you hit your straight you will be way ahead but you will likely still get action because your hand is more disguised.

If you hit your flush, you're way ahead/way behind and are more likely to get action in the spots when you're way behind.

Old
Fri Jan 10, 2014, 07:53 AM
(#10)
Since: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by spand42 View Post
your equity won't be 50% on the turn
This is an important point. If you play the flop passively, you'll either miss the turn and have to give up to decent bet, or you'll make your hand and then find it difficult to get paid on such a scary board. Raising the flop is +EV because you have some fold equity, but you're guaranteed 2 chances to realise your equity when called.

Nice hand, well played.

Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com