Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

45 stt

Old
45 stt - Thu Jan 09, 2014, 11:45 AM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2013

is this the right play considering my flush draw and overcards?
what happen if he calls and I miss turn?

Old
Thu Jan 09, 2014, 02:57 PM
(#2)
Since: Nov 2013
personally i would have 3bet a lot bigger at only 1k to call and nearly 3.5k in the pot a lot of funky hands are more willing to come along whereas a raise to 3200 would have priced out a lot of hands and most likely you take the pot there and then. if you get called play careful if you get raised it's more than likely AA or KK so be prepared to bin it.

as for the bet on the flop totally the correct play for me, it puts the pressure on your opponent and gets a lot of folds, even if they do call you have 2 overs and the club draw. if they jam on you i call you would be getting 3/1 to call the only hands that have you at a 3/1 dog are 22/33/99 so you still have the price for those your a favourite vs a pp apart from AA/KK but even they are only marginal favourite (53%)

on the whole solid bet on the flop

Old
Thu Jan 09, 2014, 07:29 PM
(#3)
Since: Sep 2010
Hi pekman.

Your stack size is the prototypical example of an awkward stack size. I think calling, 3Betting small or raising all in are all legitimate options and have their pros and cons and I don't think there is a clear correct answer

If you call, you're hoping for one of the shorties to shove and then you can decide whether you want to go all in depending on what V4 does, although I might be tempted to go all in regardless of whether V4 goes all in or not. Of course if you call, that invites V6 to come in cheaply and you will have to fold most flops when you miss.

You could shove all in. This is the simplest option and is very effective if you think V4 is a better player than you. You are putting maximum pressure on the players left to act and you may get your opponents to fold better hands, i.e. Pocket pairs. You might also get action from the shorties with worse hands than yours, although I think V6 and V4 are only going to call with better because it is quite a large all in.

Or you could 3Bet small as you chose to do. I actually like your sizing a lot, as it doesn't pot commit us and you will have more than a pot bet left behind and allows you to get away from particularly bad flops. If you bet to a "standard" 3x raise of 2400, you would be left with 5395 with the pot being 6025, so I think you would be pot committed on basically any flop.

That being said, I think going all in is probably the biggest +EV play because the shorties might call with slightly worse hands than they otherwise would due to all the dead money they could win. AKs is almost always in good shape when going all in if V4 or V6 call, you'd be very unlucky to be up against AA or KK.

I think Yeahboi has analysed the post-flop situation very well. I like the CBet OTF. This is a great non-pair flop to hit and you will be way ahead or flipping with V4's entire range apart from 99. Even against 99 you will win 25% of the time. Therefore you should very happily call if villain decides to move all in on you. If villain shoved instead of checked, I would also snap call for the same reasons.

Old
Fri Jan 10, 2014, 03:27 AM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2013
thanks guys... I know that shoving is prob a good play here but I don't like to do that until I have 15bb or less...
and again I went to heads up just to lose... gotta work on that otherwise it's usles to play these...

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com