Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

.50 donkaments?

Old
.50 donkaments? - Thu Jan 09, 2014, 04:24 PM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2013
BronzeStar
i was wondering did anyone played .50 with sucess?
i just played like 10 of them and allways got kicked out...

AKvs JQ,99vs22 etc...

are they even worth of playing?

Old
Thu Jan 09, 2014, 07:21 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
I played 162 50 cent MTT's before black Friday.. and was profitable at them.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Jan 09, 2014, 08:19 PM
(#3)
Since: Sep 2013
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
I played 162 50 cent MTT's before black Friday.. and was profitable at them.

John (JWK24)
time has changer looks like well back to 9man knockout than...

Old
Thu Jan 09, 2014, 08:54 PM
(#4)
Since: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicius View Post

AKvs JQ,99vs22 etc...

How many players in these games?

If it's MTTs, going 10 games without cashing is extremely common, even the best players have had incredibly long losing streaks. It takes so much luck as well as skill to finish in the top places where all the money is paid out.

Old
Mon Jan 20, 2014, 05:06 PM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicius View Post

AKvs JQ,99vs22 etc...

Me 300 last month (mostly 90 men) - made some final tables (10-15, 1 second place.
Thing is : they are fun, I feel i am improving bit by bit, money wise i have a flat 20$ profit
My AK (suited or not) lose in HU more than 50% of the time, my aces got tail between their legs against trash more times than I can remember ...
Math, strategy, game analysis, learning - those are the key, and I am very happy with making final tables.
However : I am a recreational player, I play 3-4h a day - which is too much for me, so the number of tourneys I play is smaller => bigger variance. I am currently re-evaluating if I can continue .50 or looking for something else.

Hope this ^^ was helpful.

Regards o/

Old
Mon Jan 20, 2014, 05:18 PM
(#6)
There were no more than 5 minutes since i posted and this hand came up (me folding like a PRO )
It's the Open skill league, but the principle is close to .50 c
http://www.boomplayer.com/en/poker-h...946_42E6393555

Old
Mon Jan 20, 2014, 05:25 PM
(#7)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoim View Post
It's the Open skill league, but the principle is close to .50 c
Hi shoim!

These are totally different stragegy-wise compared to a league game.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Jan 20, 2014, 06:09 PM
(#8)
My bad on the 'principle' word - I was highlighting my point on premium vs trash, J
I think the call was reasonable there, with AJs whereas the raise wasn't - position/stack wise, and that happens a lot in .50c as well, but, yes, 'principle' it's a bad word when comparing overall

Last edited by shoim; Mon Jan 20, 2014 at 06:13 PM..

Old
Wed Jan 29, 2014, 08:39 AM
(#9)
Since: May 2012
Bad sample size and terrible example starting this thread - AK vs three hands?

When you say donkaments(never understood why people would use this word for tournaments considering it's extremely irnoic which people uses it) if you mean tournaments I don't have much to say. Mostly because tournaments(MTTs from now on in this thread) is considered to have high variance and just by judging from this thread you seem new to poker. When you have a small bankroll you should be grinding SNGs, and when you have a big enough bankroll you should start with MTTs.

So let's talk about SNGs and why they are better to play. In SNGs you'll see the final table and bubble a lot more, so you'll be able to learn different stages of a tournament. You'll also be able to see actual profit faster as opposed to in MTTs you're just waiting for that BIG win. In SNGs you want to build your graph up steadily, but in MTTs you want that nice bump - that really straight line upwards! I don't know what your bankroll management is, or if you even know the meaning of the word?

This month I started with 56.42dollars, and I've been grinding the .5 45/90/180man turbos on PokerStars. I've only played 549 tournaments but my bankroll is finally at 107.90! Right now I'm taking "shot" at 1 90man while mixing in the .5 45/90/180man, if I drop below 75dollars I'll stop registering for 1 90man until I reach 100dollars again, that's my safety net.

To answer your question: yes I have played those "donkaments" and yes you are able to show success in them. Will you? Maybe over time. Poker is a skill game that is shown long term, not over 10 tournaments where you claim to have been unlucky. I was losing my first sessions, I reviewed my hands and tried to improve. If you manage to run breakeven on bad days and normal days, then you will make profit on heaters. If you make money on normal days, you will see a lot of profit. If you are able to actually make profit at bad days aswell then you are truly putting in enough volume and playing good - to make profit. I have as of now, and I know I will make a lot of money later.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com