Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Software & Videos & Literature /

Book Selection for Review

Old
Thumbs up
Book Selection for Review - Fri Jan 10, 2014, 03:41 PM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2013
Hi there,

I've started doing some serious studying, and am looking at a number of books I was able to borrow from our local library. I've posted a list of them on my blog, so please have a look and let me know which ones you would suggest I focus on. I plan to write a review for each book once I've completed it, with the first one being on Barry Greenstein's "Ace On The River". Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Old
Fri Jan 10, 2014, 04:25 PM
(#2)
Since: Feb 2011
Getting an error on that link?

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jan 10, 2014, 04:41 PM
(#3)
Weird, it looked like the blog post had been approved, and the link was working for me, but maybe it's a permissions thing. Here's the blog's text:

Happy New Year!

I have begun 2014 by looking into study materials to review before starting into my 2014 goals. After a quick perusal of the local library I found that there are a lot of free resources available. I plan to review one book every two weeks on this blog for everyone's benefit. Below is a list of the books I have available over the next month or two:
"Bobby Baldwin's Wining Poker Secrets" by Mike Caro
"The Raiser's Edge" by Elky
"Ace On the River" by Barry Greenstien
"Super Systems 2" by Doyle Brunson (and other contributors)
"Caro's Book of Poker Tells" by Mike Caro
"Don't Listen to Phil Hellmuth" by Dusty Schmidt
"Caro's Most Profitable Hold 'em Advice" by Mike Caro
"Tournament Poker and The Art of War" by David Apostolico
"Final Table" by Johnathan Duhamel
"How to Make $100,000 a Year Gambling For a Living" by Mason Malmuth and David Sklansky
I have read through 'Ace on the River' by Barry Greenstien and will be posting a review soon. Do any of you have comments on the book above? Anything I should focus on? I have been reviewing 'The Raiser's Edge' slowly as there's a lot of dense material to get through, though it is extremely valuable.
Feel free to provide any book recommendations for the future, or any of these books that I should be focusing on!

Read more: Book Review (jonnylawford) – Poker School Online: Learn Poker Strategy, Odds and Tells http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/blo...#ixzz2q2BEF8mT

Old
Sat Jan 11, 2014, 02:21 PM
(#4)
Since: Jan 2013
Ive never read any of them, probably because no one has recommended them, I would get The poker blueprint,building a bankroll by veerner, theory and practice by sklansky and a couple of other ones by him i cant think of right now,small stakes no limit holdem by ed miller and maybe professional no limit holdem it has a thew things worth looking at but it not amazing, how to read hands by ed miller and i would finish off with easy game by baluga whale.

Ive yet to read some of tri nguyen's books, matthew jandas book and i was going to look at harrington on holdem as well. I think there probably the best books to read for cash games, you can learn alot from books just make sure you got a pen and paper because you can take it all in in one read so i take notes and re read the notes to save time.

Old
Sat Jan 11, 2014, 02:41 PM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Super System 2 is not a beginner book. I have read that one.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jan 17, 2014, 10:43 PM
(#6)
Since: Aug 2010
This one was golden for me "Ian Taylor, Matthew Hilger - The Poker Mindset"

I haven't read any other "mindset" books but for helping the game, this was all I needed to get going.

Edit. have to add...that after reading it I started taking PSO seriously and etc....(June 2013)

Last edited by slettuce; Fri Jan 17, 2014 at 10:47 PM.. Reason: I listened to the audio book just for interest sake, I seem to remember audiobooks so much better than paper.

Old
Sat Jan 18, 2014, 03:31 PM
(#7)
Thanks for the recommendations! I'm finding that each book has something beneficial in it, but nothing is an all-in-one solution. I liked the non-NLHE sections in Super Systems 2, since it covers Omaha and 7 card games as well. The Caro books seem mainly geared towards live games since they centre on tells. Raiser's Edge still seems to be the best strategy book from the ones above. I'll definitely look into the suggestions you've given above.

Old
Sat Jan 18, 2014, 04:09 PM
(#8)
Since: Aug 2013
When you get your game going.. I'd recommend reading
Jared Tendler's, The Mental Game of Poker

Old
Sat Mar 15, 2014, 03:27 PM
(#9)
Since: Jul 2012
It`s very good book "The Mental Game of Poker"

Old
reveal everyhand - Fri May 30, 2014, 04:25 PM
(#10)
Since: May 2014
U Fools there is only one master of the game
Gus hansen - and u should read his book - reveal everyhand

Old
Fri Jun 06, 2014, 08:47 PM
(#11)
Since: Jun 2012
gus book is good, but u should know the basics before to try to play like gus did at aussie millions.
he was lucky and run really good. as well he could have lost his stack easily

Old
Tue Sep 23, 2014, 08:21 PM
(#12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dduvshani View Post
U Fools there is only one master of the game
Gus hansen - and u should read his book - reveal everyhand
I think it's a fun read. Whether it's a helpful read is debatable seeing his results overall (is my personal opinion).

Additionally, I am not sure how helpful a lot of these books are but Super System is great of course. Starting with The Little Green Book would be great. There's a significant jump in level from a beginner book to The Raiser's Edge as the latter is for advanced players.

Great books to review (at least for tourneys) would be:

The Poker Tournament Formula 1 & 2
Winning Poker Tournaments One Hand At A Time (several volumes)
Kill Phil
Kill Everyone
The Raiser's Edge
Secrets Of Tournament Poker (Little)
H.O.H. (People say outdated, but such a classic that it's necessary to know it)

Enjoy your reading/studying.

Old
Mon Sep 29, 2014, 03:38 PM
(#13)
I read Gus every hand revealed , it's a good read . Gives a great into his thought process . It's more of a poker book u can just relax in read rather then study.

Am just starting the theory of poker myself

Old
Thu Nov 27, 2014, 06:43 PM
(#14)
Since: Jan 2011
I've finished reading The Moorman Book Of Poker, I'd recommend it to anyone who'd like to know the thought process of a top pro. He basically talks you through 80 hands of poker, varying game types etc.

Double Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Nov 27, 2014, 07:00 PM
(#15)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpetrov78 View Post
I've finished reading The Moorman Book Of Poker, I'd recommend it to anyone who'd like to know the thought process of a top pro. He basically talks you through 80 hands of poker, varying game types etc.
That one's on my reading list for over the next month or so.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com