Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

2$NL - 6-max What to do on the river; is my reasoning correct

Old
2$NL - 6-max What to do on the river; is my reasoning correct - Fri Jan 10, 2014, 07:38 PM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2013
Villain_1 VP:18 PR:17 AFq:54 AF:3.5 (66)

As you can see V_1 is aggressive pre- and post flop.
In this hand I choose to call with pocket 2's as it is fairly easy to play in that position, spike a set or fold (imo)

When the flop comes down I am most likely way ahead.
When V_1 bets, I min-raise cause I don't want to lose my customer . In retrospect I think min-betting was showing too much strength and perhaps I should have made the 3-bet somewhat larger (around 40cents perhaps). So I'm not too happy with my choice there. I surely lost value here because of the scare cards that come on turn and river

Then the turn comes and this is a scare card. The villain checks and it is time to range him
He could be playing a lot of Ax hands that would beat me, however as his raise came from middle position it is not necessarily very strong so I would give him a hand like
AT+,JT+,QT+,Axs and pockets 8+ (please correct me if this is wrong, I need to work on ranging )
As he is fairly agressive but checked the turn, this might indicate that he is worried about the A himself or he might be just checking towards me as I took initiative on the flop.
However as there is now a flush draw as well, he should protect his hand if he has made the straight. I feel V_1 is playing a good game and I would expect him to bet here with an Ace (for value and protection). Therefore I put him on a broadway hand and or a pocket and I incline towards a pocked because he called the re-raise on the flop. That would suggest that he has a made hand
I decide to check behind because I don't want to make this pot too large. Furthermore I have some time on the river to decide what to do.

So now the river comes and the third spade hits the deck. As things stand, I will lose from any A or any 2 spades

Now the villain bets about half the pot. What do I do ?
I rethink and decide that villain is most likely on a pocket pair, therefore no flush possible and straight would be a bit under his range (6-6). However an Ax card I cannot fully exclude

And therefore, this is what happened

Many thanks for your reactions

Old
Fri Jan 10, 2014, 08:23 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
You were ranging your opponent but not yourself. A larger flop raise looks like protection against the draws as much as strength. Suited connectors and Aces are in your calling range. With an overpair they might 3-bet.

Old
Sat Jan 11, 2014, 12:55 AM
(#3)
Since: Feb 2013
You make it too complicated for 2NL. 1. If you have a strong hand you bet big 2. If you have a good hand you start betting until you get raised, then you can start thinking :p

Old
Sat Jan 11, 2014, 01:28 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi betsizer,

Villain is making a fairly large c-bet, I agree we should be raising larger than min on the flop. He can have a lot of overpairs that will be devalued on the turn and not like to give action, that will at least call the flop raise and maybe reraise. Consider a hand like TT for example. This holding probably won't fold to a flop raise to .45c, and if he decides you might be on a draw or 66-99, may raise again and will basically be committing for stacks right on the flop. That's great, as the following turn cards all might slow down your action: J, Q, K, A, 3, 6, spade... that's a lot of cards.

As played I think checking back the turn is fine, and certainly am calling river after we check back against this guy.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Jan 11, 2014, 06:10 AM
(#5)
Since: Dec 2013
Hi all, thank you for the feedback.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com