Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

NL2 AQo Facing Short Stack shove 3way Pot

Old
NL2 AQo Facing Short Stack shove 3way Pot - Sat Jan 11, 2014, 11:01 AM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2013

In heads up pot I would call withouthinking stak smaler than 30BB. How deal with 3rd person. Should I call should I fold o maybe shove ?

Old
Sat Jan 11, 2014, 02:38 PM
(#2)
Since: Feb 2013
Villain6 is weak, so you are at least 50% against him if he call,so you can shove.

Old
Sat Jan 11, 2014, 05:22 PM
(#3)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Hi A beatmaker.

In a spot like this a decision as to the optimal line versus the short stack shove with a same size stack as your's behind is really dependant upon reads which you do not provide.

First, in most cases I'd agree with your statement that a short stack shove here is a very frequent call with AQo if you are HU, but I'd certainly not say "always". If the shorty is very tight AQo might well be a muck here.

Next, my main thoughts when there is a similar stack to mine with position on me to act is what I think about my AQo versus his range. With a truly strong hand (like AA/KK, or even QQ versus most ranges), your only real thought in spots like these is how best to extract value from both the all in AND the stack behind you. With any unpaired big card hand though, you'd really like an idea of what sort of cards the guy behind might overcall the all in on (if you flat), might raise to squeeze you out on (again, if you flat), or might call/jam on if you raise.

Without that sort of info at least, playing AQo to extract max equity here is just a guessing game, and your guess is as good as mine.

Double Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Jan 11, 2014, 10:09 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi Beatmaker,

If V1 is tight, then fold to his jam. If V1 is not tight, then I like reshoving to isolate him. V6 rarely has a hand strong enough to continue for stacks our he would have 3b us initially. He can be flatting AK sometimes and stack it off, but usually he's going to be speculating in position on us and simply have to fold, leaving his .08c dead money in there increasing our price on the isolation.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jan 12, 2014, 09:42 PM
(#5)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLangolier View Post
Hi Beatmaker,

If V1 is tight, then fold to his jam. If V1 is not tight, then I like reshoving to isolate him. V6 rarely has a hand strong enough to continue for stacks our he would have 3b us initially. He can be flatting AK sometimes and stack it off, but usually he's going to be speculating in position on us and simply have to fold, leaving his .08c dead money in there increasing our price on the isolation.
Dave,

I would tend to agree in many many cases, but there is a very common situation I can think of which might have AQo in a rough spot. That is versus an opponent who flats mid pp and has too little discipline to muck those to a shove. In such a case we could well find ourselves racing at a disadvantage when we find the initial all in has some of our outs.

If I cannot be reasonably certain of having FE versus better hands like 55/66/77, I am not certain I love playing for stacks here when I might have one foot in a bucket!

If, of course, I can be even marginally confident that my live stack opp could muck those rather trashy pp, then I certainly agree with you 100%.

Double Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jan 12, 2014, 10:34 PM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDean View Post
Dave,

I would tend to agree in many many cases, but there is a very common situation I can think of which might have AQo in a rough spot. That is versus an opponent who flats mid pp and has too little discipline to muck those to a shove. In such a case we could well find ourselves racing at a disadvantage when we find the initial all in has some of our outs.

If I cannot be reasonably certain of having FE versus better hands like 55/66/77, I am not certain I love playing for stacks here when I might have one foot in a bucket!

If, of course, I can be even marginally confident that my live stack opp could muck those rather trashy pp, then I certainly agree with you 100%.
Given the dead money out there and the 3rd villain's wide range, I don't care what he does with 77. If he folds it that's great, we gain, if he calls off that's great as well... he is calling off vs. our range remember, sometimes he won't be racing with AQ/AK, sometimes he'll be stacking off to TT+. When he's lucky enough to be "right", we're still flipping with extra money in the pot, and when he's wrong, we have a massive equity edge. Putting his feet to the fire is better than calling or folding vs. a loose shorty, imo.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com