Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

The Big Bang my (bad) hero call FT Hand1.

Old
The Big Bang my (bad) hero call FT Hand1. - Sun Jan 12, 2014, 05:42 AM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2010
Bigblind = $ 7.000 Ante = $ 700

BB: chips:115784
UTG: chips:94757
CO: chips:160677
Hero (BTN): chips:158542
SB: chips:493240

Pre Flop: (t14000) Hero is BTN with Js Td 2 folds, Hero raises to 14000, SB calls 10500, 1 fold

Flop: (pot 38500) 9s Ts Kh (2 players)
SB checks, Hero bets 14567, SB raises to 29134, Hero calls 14567

Turn: (pot 96768) 7h (2 players)
SB bets 35000, Hero calls 35000

River: (pot 166768) 2d (2 players)
SB bets 91000, Hero calls 79708 all in

To see this visually:
http://www.boomplayer.com/poker-hand...804_F494A48DEB

My thougtprocess:

I can assume he raises premium hands preflop, as I've seen him do that before. He also loves to call with a fairly wide range against me. Secondly I know he loves to click it back as a min raise. He does it very frequently with many cards however I don't know whether its top pair, bluff, semibluff. But as he does that quite frequently the call on the flop seems very obvious for me concidering the price, 2nd pair, gutshot and fairly decent backdoor flush/blocker flush.

The turn comes a 7 of hearts. He decides to bet again for 1/3th pot. I am still conviced this is a rather easy call for me. The 7h might have opened hit BDflush, an 8 he might hold.
So basicly I put his range:
KQ, KJ, K10, K9, JQ, 10Q, 9T, 89 => combinations that beat me.
but also All suited connectors and gappers. In spades pretty much all, and hearts 1pair + BD flushes.
Also worse pairs than mine.
So I can still beat a big part of his range, concidernig stone cold bluffs are also in his range.

The river brings the 2d. A complete blank. He puts me all in with a 1/2th pot size bet.

Here I went into a tank really analysing and thinking. Do I beat enough to justify a call here? Theoretically on this river I have to call down when I call the turn. But pulling that trigger isn't that easy concidering it is the FT and all other players are shortstacked aswell then.
I also took into concideration he would apply extra pressure as he was a huge chipleader and abuses the payoutstructure to force folds. (I did also)

But this was my thought. Well I can fold and play 5handed a 10BB and probably end 5th or 4th if lucky higher. I really distantiated my from the payout structure and decided to play for the win.
Calling here gave me the chiplead with him and probably even the win.
However folding cripples me with the monster stack to my left. This would mean I'd only have a few hands to go all in with and a caller to my left. I really did not want to gamble it out then and decided to call and go for the win.

Also something really nice I'm proud of right before perssing call. I forced myself to smile and be happy. A focus of mine that ady was to master my state at all times. So if I would bust I would be happy and not dissapointed.
I also was from the bubble on thinking. This is my tournament I'm going to win. It payed off!

Luckely for me he had a worse pair.

In later hands we clashed various times again, where he used the minraise again.

Old
Sun Jan 12, 2014, 06:54 AM
(#2)
Since: Nov 2010
As you told me just before the FT... 'I play for the win'! Nice to read your thought process, don't know if I could have done the same. Luckily your pair held up. GG m8!!

Old
Sun Jan 12, 2014, 10:01 AM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2011
I only saw the river play (and your timebanking!) live, and was really surprised to see your hand at showdown. I was even more surprised that it was good!
I expect the commentary team for the final table had a lot to say about this one. I was just thinking "WOW! He must have made a soul read."

It may have been a "bad" call, but it certainly set you up for the win.

Without a solid read (i.e. knowing exactly what villain has minraised with previously), I fold to the flop check-raise. You might be beating draws, but you could be drawing dead to a chop against the flopped nuts, as QJ is definitely possible, and the minraise is a good way to keep worse hands around.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jan 12, 2014, 10:20 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Sentras!

First, thanks for putting in the thought process. The info about the click-backs is very useful information (without it, I'd most likely muck to the flop raise).

If I was playing the hand, I'd have made a standard open to 2.2BB instead of a min-raise, but if you're using min's as your standard.. the key is to keep them standard.

When the opp checks the flop to me, with second pair and a gutshot draw, I'm definitely going to make a value bet. With one opp in the pot, a standard sizing is 1/2 pot, so I'm going to bet 19250. I really don't want to bet less than this as the board is very wet with draws (straights and flushes) and if the opp is drawing, I want them to have a -EV play to do so.
The opp now clicks it back. The read about the opp clicking it back frequently here is a key for me, as it doesn't necessarily mean that they have a K or better. With this information, I'm very happy to call and see the turn.

The turn puts more draws out there and completes a straight for J8 and the opp makes a smaller than normal bet. I think your ranging is pretty good here (I'd add a few other combos like J9, TT, 99) and due to the sizing of the bet, I'm weighting it more toward the draws and here's why.
As wet as this board is, the opp is not pricing out any of the draws (which I would do in their shoes with any made hand, TP or better). If I'm ahead, then I want to make the opp make a play where they expect to lose chips and this is not done here.

However, instead of the river, the turn is where my big decision in the hand needs to be. The opp bets 35k here and calling that bet basically pot-commits me. The opp has now made two bets (flop raise and turn) and neither one has priced out any of the draws... which makes it look to me like he's on a draw. Due to this, if I want to continue in the hand, I need to shove the turn.

I want to make the play on the turn for two reasons.
First, I don't want to be facing a shove on the river, especially if I didn't improve, as I want the pressure on the opp, not on me.
Secondly, for the part of the opp's range that are bluffs with nothing, I will more than double-up without a fight every time that the opp folds (probably won't be much, but will be a % of the time). When the opp does call, I will be about a 60-40 underdog... but with all of this taken into account, it's a +EV shove.

Great run in the tourney.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com