Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

2nl Zoom - What a brutal day

Old
2nl Zoom - What a brutal day - Tue Jan 14, 2014, 08:57 AM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2013
Hi guys,

just wanted to share the brutal day that I had today (I am sure some of you guys have had worse)

I think I better post some hands for analysis (just in case)

villains shoving, 3betting in situations where I just couldn't call. Mainly being out of position and having a hand like AJ, or AT, etc. Also had no reads on villains so didn't really know where I stood.

Once situation was set vs set (which was unfortunate)

Steals wasn't working as often as they normally do today.

C-bets being constantly called on dry boards that hit my range more than villains, etc.

Villains donk betting a huge amount of the time where I didn't have a hand (overcard flops, etc). so felt I had to give up as if I called what do I do on the turn, etc.

It was just crazy.

Cheers,

Pullin

Old
Tue Jan 14, 2014, 09:28 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2012

Just posting that in the hope it makes you feel a little better - although I am sure it will not, but, that was a pretty brutal day. I got it in ahead and lost and I got it in behind and lost that day. The Perfect Storm.

Son long as the long term trend is upwards you will be fine

Old
Tue Jan 14, 2014, 10:05 AM
(#3)
Cheers Bhoylegend

Wow, you did have a brutal time. I've not seen the worst of it. Situations that I struggle with is when you go to showdown and villain shows a better hand. I think, should I have put them on that hand, or not.

Question Bhoylegend: When you talk about getting it in when ahead, and getting in when behind, does that include situations where you were against villians top range?

I don't think I am explaining it very well, but as an example,

Hero is holding AQ
Villain is holding ??

villain raises in CO, and Hero calls on the Button

board is A83 (rainbow), turn: 7, river: 2 ----- excluding flushes and straights

Villain bets all three streets, and hero calls all three streets,

Villain shows AK and wins the pot.

This was unlucky for Hero. Now for me I start putting villain on an exact hand (which is bad), when really I guess I should be putting them on a range. I keep thinking they will have the better hand (although a possible hand) and so I start to play passively just in case.

Cheers,

Pullin

Old
Tue Jan 14, 2014, 10:42 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2012
Really, that day, I was running into peoples top range a lot but I was also running into opportunistic hands where people flopped flushes with Q9s/Straights with KT after calling 3bet OOP etc. and I had top pair, a set, top two.

To be honest, I dont think I played particularly well that day, looking back at the hands I played. I think my fault was aggression though rather than passivity. I refused to lay down second best hands. Yet still, when I did get it in good, I still didnt win the big hands.

If I was ranging people, I was not ranging them well, because they were telling me they were good in the hand but I ignored them.

Old
Tue Jan 14, 2014, 02:08 PM
(#5)
Since: Oct 2011
Pretty brutal graph. In my last 10,000 hands, I've had 4 downswings of over 1000 hands, so I know very much how it feels when you're getting skunked by the dealer. (I've also had 5 upswings to more than cancel out the bad stuff).
Try to not let it bother you too much. If the downer is affecting your game, and making you play more passively than usual ("scared money") then take a break, because you won't turn things around unless you feel good about your game and can make confident bets.
Remind yourself that things like stealing and c-betting are definitely +EV in the long run, but in the short run it's common to experience a poor run of results. :/

Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Jan 14, 2014, 05:50 PM
(#6)
Cheers artysmokes & bhoylegend.

I know there is variance in there and stuff, but I also know that I am playing too passively - running scared. That's the most brutal time I have had so far out of all the sessions that I have played. I think that's what makes poker so interesting, the fact that games can swing either way in the short run. Cheers guys

Pullin

Old
Tue Jan 14, 2014, 06:46 PM
(#7)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
I get them all the time too - so we must all. But, I have a terrible tendency to make them worse in a whole host of ways related to being just kind of an impatient person - trying too hard to make something 'happen' ... with really junky hands, 'bluff' catching ... when someone has a straight flush (ROFTL!! ), seeing what I want to see when my hand improves on the river ... but improves someone else's more, etc, etc ...

Seems like maybe there's lots of us who struggle with that sort of like, 'c-game' play at these sorts of times? Have seen even good regs do some strange things at times that seemed like maybe they were tilt-related.

Guess I just wanted to add to what bhoy and arty said, that in addition to gnarly downswings being common, maybe struggling to play your a-game during the downswing might be pretty common too? Work in progress for lots of us maybe?

Last edited by TrustySam; Tue Jan 14, 2014 at 06:50 PM..

Old
Wed Jan 15, 2014, 09:00 AM
(#8)
On the money TrustySam. I too get a bit impatient trying to make something happen. But I feel the more I play and post this type of stuff online, the more I am starting to cope with it. Beginners to the game don't know how brutal and variance can be, and I believe most of us probably haven't seen the worst of it.
Arty posted that variance calculator which shows how brutal things could be. It's good to see that winning players experience this stuff, which helps to ressure beginners that it's normal.

Imagine playing poker, with a winning style and yet not knowing how varince can affect the game. Beginners would jsut give up.

I am truely grateful to everyone on this site for sharing their experiences, because if it wasn't for that, I wouldn't understand variance, and the downswings, and would have probably given up by now.

Cheers,

Pullin

Old
Wed Jan 15, 2014, 01:33 PM
(#9)
Since: Apr 2012

Pretty atrocious month for me. Nothing works... Hang in there, pullin

Old
Wed Jan 15, 2014, 05:14 PM
(#10)
Cheers MrFlops for posting.

Hope you get some rungood soon.

Cheers,

Pullin

Old
Thu Jan 16, 2014, 06:08 PM
(#11)
Since: Jan 2013

Here is my graph, not many hands its pretty hard to play a ton of hands while watching poker.

My EV line is BS i looked through my hands and i can see $19 of suck outs and they are terrible what this guys show up with.

Old
Fri Jan 17, 2014, 06:47 AM
(#12)
Since: Oct 2011
I feel like I should post a graph showing an upswing just to balance out these horrible downers, but I don't want to make you all jealous.

Stick with it Mike et al. Runbad is part of the game, and you have to accept it as best you can. (I'd be puking if your graph was mine).

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jan 17, 2014, 08:09 AM
(#13)
Arty,

Did you see my other post

2nl Zoom - What a brutal day...

Cheers,

Pullin

Old
Fri Jan 17, 2014, 11:51 AM
(#14)
Since: Feb 2012
zoom is fun

Last edited by tentells; Tue Jan 21, 2014 at 02:18 AM..

Old
Sat Jan 18, 2014, 09:43 AM
(#15)
Since: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by pullin1988 View Post
the brutal day
Maybe it was a day when... Jan Daily Challenge said to... earn 1VPP including ZOOM
So... many fishes are there then and I think we can expect anything. I'm not a regular cash zoom 2NL player, but it is easy and cheap earn this 1VPP there because of quite big rake and I saw many strange actions when seating usual there on 6max Halley with $1.x
Daily Challenge Zoom 2NL my flop KQ 2 pair vs A high

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com