Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

5NL 6-max Zoom AKs on flop

Old
5NL 6-max Zoom AKs on flop - Wed Jan 15, 2014, 08:35 AM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2012
Hi, villain is playing 40/25/17 over just 23 hands. Not a huge sample but I'd be inclined to put him on the LAG side.

I decided to 3B because CO and BT seemed passive (although not sure) and players at this level call 3Bets with dominated hands often. Specially with my 3B sizing here.

Should I check back the flop ? And give up on most turns ?
What's his range here for check raising ?

Cheers!

Old
Wed Jan 15, 2014, 08:42 AM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2012
Pre is meh. I prefer flatting AK in these spots though 3betting has its merits.

I'd actually check back this flop and intend on giving up since he'll be continuing a large part of his range on this texture.

Old
Wed Jan 15, 2014, 10:57 AM
(#3)
Since: Sep 2010
I think 3Betting Preflop is fine, as long as you do it on the understanding that when villain calls, he probably has a relatively strong and narrow range and isn't going to fold too easily.

If villain is pretty loose, his range might be something like 55+ (maybe even all PPs), AJ+, KJs+, KQo and some of the higher suited connectors/broadways.

This flop is about the worst flop for your hand. As well as completely missing your actual holding, it also doesn't connect well with a typical MP 3Betting range vs an UTG raise, apart from if you have an overpair. Therefore a good LAG may even check/raise with air here as he will take down the pot a decent percentage of the time, and he may be able to take the pot away on later streets if the runout is bad for you.

Particularly against LAGgy guys, I would just check and give up OTT unless you spike an A or K.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com