Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Was shoving here the right thing to do?

Old
Was shoving here the right thing to do? - Wed Jan 15, 2014, 03:57 PM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2011
Just want to make sure that I did the right thing by shoving even though I lost

I don't have any game "tools" so can't give accurate stats on the other players, however, Player 4 was a big stack bully for the entire time he was at the table

Old
Wed Jan 15, 2014, 04:11 PM
(#2)
Since: Mar 2013
yup really nice spot to get it in with 9bbs this is a shove pretty much regardless of what the other players do

gamboollll flanflanflan

Old
Wed Jan 15, 2014, 04:14 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi auntyrae!

What type of tourney was this from? It could have a big impact on my reply.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Jan 15, 2014, 04:15 PM
(#4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouchbadbeat View Post
yup really nice spot to get it in with 9bbs this is a shove pretty much regardless of what the other players do

gamboollll flanflanflan
Ty ty See, I'm learning :P

Old
Wed Jan 15, 2014, 04:16 PM
(#5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
Hi auntyrae!

What type of tourney was this from? It could have a big impact on my reply.

John (JWK24)
Hi John, it was the Premier League

Old
Wed Jan 15, 2014, 04:27 PM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi auntyrae!

If this was a standard cash tourney, I'm shipping it here all day long preflop from the button over an open, especially from a loose opener.

HOWEVER, this is a league game and they have a strategy unto themselves.

Until I reach the point where I get positive league points (which this late into the month may not be until after this), I cannot be all-in without a premium, made hand. I cannot gamble in these, I cannot take chances. The one and only goal in these tourneys is to last as long as possible in order to accumulate more and more league points for the end of the month leaderboard (where the real money is).

Due to this being a league game, I'm going to flat the 1525 and if UTG shoves pre, I need to fold and if I miss the flop, I need to fold. Survival is the one and only goal and the amount of league points that I lose for getting knocked out will always be worth more than the tourney chips that I can obtain by taking a chance in the hand.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Jan 15, 2014, 04:29 PM
(#7)
Since: Mar 2013
ah yeah if its a weird points tourney it affects it a lot, i was assuming normal MTT

Old
Wed Jan 15, 2014, 04:38 PM
(#8)
Thank you very much guys I wasn't thinking about the league points, something I need to start doing if I want to get up there

However, I do now know for reg. MTT's that this is the right thing to do

auntyrae

Last edited by auntyrae; Wed Jan 15, 2014 at 04:38 PM.. Reason: fix typo

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com