Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

2NL FR Zoom - AJo vs BB donk

Old
2NL FR Zoom - AJo vs BB donk - Wed Jan 15, 2014, 04:19 PM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2013
Should I have taken more time to reevaluate his River bet, I felt sure I was ahead at the time?

Old
Wed Jan 15, 2014, 04:52 PM
(#2)
Since: Feb 2013
Donkbets are often draws. Your raise OTF is too low, imo. I would like it to be 3 - 4 times his bet.

OTT i think I would have raised again and fold to a reraise.

OTR I would just call

Last edited by rkleefstra; Wed Jan 15, 2014 at 06:33 PM..

Old
Wed Jan 15, 2014, 06:52 PM
(#3)
Since: Sep 2010
I'm not sure why you're making these strange minbets and min raises, you're not achieving anything with this sort of bet sizing.

Like Ray says, people usually donkbet small with weak one-pair hands or draws that they want to see a cheap turn card with. I like the raise, but I would make it much bigger than you made it to give him an incorrect price to chase his draw and get value from worse Jx or 8x hands that he doesn't want to fold. $0.18 looks like a good sort of sizing.

The turn is a poisoned chalice, completing the flush draw while giving you trips. I still think that there is a good chance you have the best hand here so you could raise villain's turn donklead and fold to a reraise. However I don't mind calling and seeing a cheap river as flushes make up a decent part of villain's range. You might also make a boat and stack off a bad villain.

On the river you have two options. If you think your opponent is a fish who's often block betting with 8x or a weak Jx, then you can raise for value, but you should raise bigger for the same reasons I explained on the flop. However I think just calling is the better option as I doubt that villain is calling a raise with too many worse hands other than KJ, QJ or J9, which don't make up that many combos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBNash View Post
I felt sure I was ahead at the time?
You've posted this type of comment before. What thought process did you use to come to this conclusion? Why did you rule out a flush?

Old
Thu Jan 16, 2014, 04:57 AM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by spand42 View Post
I'm not sure why you're making these strange minbets and min raises, you're not achieving anything with this sort of bet sizing.

Like Ray says, people usually donkbet small with weak one-pair hands or draws that they want to see a cheap turn card with. I like the raise, but I would make it much bigger than you made it to give him an incorrect price to chase his draw and get value from worse Jx or 8x hands that he doesn't want to fold. $0.18 looks like a good sort of sizing.

The turn is a poisoned chalice, completing the flush draw while giving you trips. I still think that there is a good chance you have the best hand here so you could raise villain's turn donklead and fold to a reraise. However I don't mind calling and seeing a cheap river as flushes make up a decent part of villain's range. You might also make a boat and stack off a bad villain.

On the river you have two options. If you think your opponent is a fish who's often block betting with 8x or a weak Jx, then you can raise for value, but you should raise bigger for the same reasons I explained on the flop. However I think just calling is the better option as I doubt that villain is calling a raise with too many worse hands other than KJ, QJ or J9, which don't make up that many combos.

You've posted this type of comment before. What thought process did you use to come to this conclusion? Why did you rule out a flush?
I think an incomplete/newbie thought process. I did not know that donking the flop at 2NL is usually the sign of someone chasing draws. This blinkered my range to Jx hands with weak kickers and I paid him off blind to the flush. Now that I know what these donks are doing, I will price them out. I am not thinking enough about opps ranges and will work on it.

Old
Thu Jan 16, 2014, 05:42 AM
(#5)
Since: Sep 2010
Just be careful not to get too blinded by what you'd like villain to have and make sure you consider all possibilities of what they could have.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com