Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

huge guts and solid read, what do you think about it?

Old
Cool
huge guts and solid read, what do you think about it? - Thu Jan 16, 2014, 10:25 PM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2014
BronzeStar
good morning fellow pokerfriends!!

deeper in the hot $5.50 turbo, i flatted with a small pair, UTG opened pretty strong for 3BB an +1 called pretty quickly. everybody else folded so i have position. the flop comes King Ten Brick rainbow, but the PFA didn't continue and it is checked to me. i decided to take a stab at the pot and bet about 65%. i am stunned to get two callers as the bord pairs the brick. monster pot, the first guy checks and the second bet 1 (one) bigblind. at this point it was pretty clear to me that i'am problably up against various broadway-draws and maybe AT. the bet on the turn was so weak and looked like this guy whants to peel a river so i decided to jam right there, only half a potsized bet left behind. the guy UTG tanked and folded and the guy betting insta-folded. a had a pretty solid image at the table and all three players had a notable stack.

would love to hear from you folks!

PokerStars Hand #110263691344: Tournament #848172153, $5.00+$0.50 USD Hold'em No Limit - Level XV (300/600) - 2014/01/17 3:13:30 CET [2014/01/16 21:13:30 ET]
Table '848172153 76' 9-max Seat #2 is the button

Seat 1: CharginWapos (13622 in chips)
Seat 2: ReBorn010513 (14302 in chips)
Seat 3: juanykeko (6200 in chips)
Seat 4: Bakainho10 (4925 in chips)
Seat 5: @correio10 (13035 in chips) === 21BB
Seat 6: issyissy (15996 in chips) === 26BB
Seat 7: StevenShaft (14729 in chips) === 24BB
Seat 8: NEG2011 (8576 in chips)
Seat 9: biddleltpq (6635 in chips)
StevenShaft: posts the ante 70
juanykeko: posts small blind 300
Bakainho10: posts big blind 600
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to StevenShaft [6d 6h]
@correio10: raises 1200 to 1800
issyissy: calls 1800
StevenShaft: calls 1800
NEG2011: folds
biddleltpq: folds
CharginWapos: folds
ReBorn010513: folds
juanykeko: folds
Bakainho10: folds
*** FLOP *** [5d Kh Ts]
@correio10: checks
issyissy: checks
StevenShaft: bets 3500
@correio10: calls 3500
issyissy: calls 3500
*** TURN *** [5d Kh Ts] [5s]
@correio10: checks
issyissy: bets 600
StevenShaft: raises 8759 to 9359 and is all-in
@correio10: folds
issyissy: folds
Uncalled bet (8759) returned to StevenShaft
StevenShaft collected 18630 from pot

Last edited by StevenShaft; Thu Jan 16, 2014 at 10:46 PM..

Old
Fri Jan 17, 2014, 12:18 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi StevenShaft!

Welcome to the forum. Thanks for putting your thought process for the hand in. The more information that the analyzers have to base our decisions on, the better a response we can give you.

With 66, I get a raise to 3BB in front of me and a call. The key thing that I have to do now is to see if calling is an option. In order to setmine profitably in the long run, I need to have 15X the bet in both my stack and the opps stacks. Unfortunately, none of us have 45BB in our stacks, so calling is out of the option.
The next key for me is that it is a multi-way pot. If I shove (a standard re-raise would pot-commit me, so I would need to shove), I would like to have one of the opps fold, as 66 plays much better against one hand than two (and could be more as there are other players to act behind me. 66 against one opp (assuming they are playing a 10% calling range) is a 60-40% underdog. Against two opps, 66 loses over 7 in 10 times!

Due to this, I'm going to muck preflop and look for a better situation, where I can get my chips in when I'm ahead.

As played, if I saw the flop, with two overcards that could have easily hit either opponent, I'm going to check. If I bet, a standard bet sizing for being against two opps is 2/3 pot and if I do this, I run into another problem. This is basically 1/3 of my remaining chips, which means I'd be pot-committed and cannot fold if I make this bet. This now makes my options to shove or check and since I'm not sure that I'm ahead, I need to check.

On the turn, when the opp makes an abnormally small bet, I'm going to call and re-evaluate on the river. I do have showdown value, but can easily be behind.

The key in this hand though is that since I can't call due to not having enough chips to setmine, since there are two opps already in the pot, to fold preflop.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jan 17, 2014, 12:55 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
Hi StevenShaft,

Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

Here is a link to help familiarize you with all the features and services available at PSO. Feel free to look around the forum and post any of your comments or questions.

You are invited to join the PokerSchoolOnline Community Home Games Club, and information on how to join the club may be found HERE.

Hope to see you there!

Joss

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com