Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

5NL 6-max Zoom c/r dry board

Old
5NL 6-max Zoom c/r dry board - Fri Jan 17, 2014, 04:17 PM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2012
Hi, I know that we should only be posting one hand per thread.
But I wanted to analyze a spot in general, which I'm facing often.

How do deal with check raises on dry boards where villain represents nothing ? Especially min-raises. I know most of the times we should just fold if we have air. But how should we adjust?

(If I should post this on another part of the Forum, please tell me)

Cheers!

Last edited by fp_boss77; Fri Jan 17, 2014 at 04:20 PM..

Old
Sun Jan 19, 2014, 12:08 AM
(#2)
Since: Nov 2011
I would probably call in both spots.

- Min-raise give you a really good price, especially when you are in position, and we should peel wide.
- If villain makes a normally sized bet on the subsequent street, then we can fold more often. so our range to continue will look like we call the min-raise a lot and give up a lot later, but that's just a response-function to the respective prices we are laid.
- the first example is a pretty great one, imo, of how we should continue. You are drawing to four outs to the nuts, they are going to come about 1 in ever 11 times. Of course other things can happen, you hit a T villain checks, you hit an A, villain doesn't bet big, its a K turn, it checks down you win v TJ, etc. I would size your initial c-bet smaller in the AT hand, but I would definitely still peel here on the flop and give up a lot afterwards. I would rather peel here with my JT/AT/AJ than with say QJ. If villain has a hand like K5 they are figuring out where they are at or what have you, AT has way better equity than QJ because it has nut equity and 7 outs. QJ just has 5 outs and they aren't *****d. What if villain has AQ? or KJ? In any case those straight draws have outs to the nuts and to clear value propositions. So there will be a lot better examples than the hand 1 (ie when you have a good or the nut flush draw or a medium flush draw with a super-disguised gutterball) where you'd rather have a draw facing a min-raise than a pair, even a good pair.

- the 2nd example I think you can fold if you know villain is doing it with 9X+. But some villains can do it with any pair any draw. There aren't a lot of draws on this board, but we crush them, since they usually have 1 over+1gutter and we are ip. We also crush pairs like 55 or 3x. If the range is 9X+ we are crushed, otherwise we're doing fine, and either way we are ip and on this street we are getting good price. If we get a bad price later, we can surrender. But like hand 2 I would never fold A4/A5/56/45 on the flop. Never.

I guess I'm just a station

Old
Sun Jan 19, 2014, 07:29 AM
(#3)
Since: Jan 2012
Thanks for the insights Gareth.
I'll put them to work on the session today.

Cheers!

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com