Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

Beginner questions

Old
Lightbulb
Beginner questions - Sat Jan 18, 2014, 06:19 AM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2014
Hello, i will ask some questions here once in a while. Feel free to help me out!

-----------------------------------------------------
1. As i read the noob tutorials here, in one example:
http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/art...t-In-The-Money

Exercise: In the Money Strategies

3players. 1player all-ins(had 3k) i have 4.7k.
If i call(match the current bet) - the tutorial says "if you call you are commited".

But if i all-in i am also commited! And if i call i get the same size pot as if i will all-in.

I dont understand whats the difference then!
----------
2. I have decided to have some goals while learning. Are they enough for a begginer?
a) Noticing if i fold correctly
b) Trying to figure it out if am i reckless/playing correctly while betting/calling/all-in.
c) When i loose the hand - did i played correctly and lost because of bad beat or weak luck?

Are these goals enough for beginner or i do need much more?

------------
3. The best way to analyse the games is to post hands on zoom and watch later or post zoom videos in the forums asking advice?

Any other things to paying attention to or trying? It seems calculating outs is too big of a task right now

Last edited by Pokermancer8; Sat Jan 18, 2014 at 07:37 AM.. Reason: more questions

Old
Sat Jan 18, 2014, 01:06 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokermancer8 View Post
Hello, i will ask some questions here once in a while. Feel free to help me out!

If i call(match the current bet) - the tutorial says "if you call you are commited".

But if i all-in i am also commited! And if i call i get the same size pot as if i will all-in.
I think what it is saying if player 1 is all in and you call, you will have 1.7k chips left if player 3 then raises you cannot fold (it would be incorrect), therefore you may as well push all in to show your not going to fold.

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Jan 18, 2014, 04:11 PM
(#3)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Pokermancer8!

Anytime that I have to put over 1/3 of my remaining chips into the pot, I'm pot-committed and cannot fold. Due to this, I have two choices, shove or fold. I cannot call in these situations.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Jan 18, 2014, 04:52 PM
(#4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
Hi Pokermancer8!

Anytime that I have to put over 1/3 of my remaining chips into the pot, I'm pot-committed and cannot fold. Due to this, I have two choices, shove or fold. I cannot call in these situations.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)
Would you be kind to answer my second question? That is the most concerning for me as i am almost clueless(all beginners are )

P.S. i already read courses in this website that are very informative!

Old
Sat Jan 18, 2014, 04:58 PM
(#5)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Pokermancer8!

I'm probably the last one that you'd want to have answer that one. Setting goals, etc is one thing that I'm not very good with.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jan 19, 2014, 05:35 AM
(#6)
Today i am looking at the tournament/freeroll

But it states - tournament money is usd.
Buy-in: 10FPP.

So in this tournament i can loose my usd? And i will definately loose 10FPP?

Is there any tournament in tournament/freeroll where you can loose real money?

And tournaments with tickets with buy-in freeroll are also 100% true that you wont lose real money if you enter that tournament?

Last edited by Pokermancer8; Sun Jan 19, 2014 at 09:33 AM..

Old
Tue Jan 21, 2014, 09:39 AM
(#7)
Another small question:

Ticket=$1000 depositor freeroll multi-entry

What does that suppose to mean? That the ticket is worth 1k usd as an entry? and multi-entry is what?

And why its called freeroll if it requires 1ticket.
Somehow i have 1ticket, no idea where i got it from.

Old
Tue Jan 21, 2014, 09:42 AM
(#8)
Since: Apr 2010
BronzeStar
Looks like you got the ticket for a month for making a deposit.

Use the ticket to play the freerolls.

Old
Tue Jan 21, 2014, 10:28 AM
(#9)
Thanks for answer.

Also.. what tournament stats this website takes into account??

I played yesterday one and finished in the middle. But no stats are here. I played freeroll regional.

Old
Tue Jan 21, 2014, 11:15 AM
(#10)
Since: Apr 2010
BronzeStar
The stats as far as I am aware are from the open and skill leagues. There for any other type off sng mtt cash game don't count towards those stats.

Old
Tue Jan 21, 2014, 11:28 AM
(#11)
Quote:
Today i am looking at the tournament/freeroll

But it states - tournament money is usd.
Buy-in: 10FPP.

So in this tournament i can loose my usd? And i will definately loose 10FPP?

Is there any tournament in tournament/freeroll where you can loose real money?

And tournaments with tickets with buy-in freeroll are also 100% true that you wont lose real money if you enter that tournament?

Th ebuy in is $0.00 usd and 10fps, any cash prizes would be paid out in USD

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Jan 21, 2014, 11:47 AM
(#12)
Quote:

I dont understand whats the difference then!
----------
2. I have decided to have some goals while learning. Are they enough for a begginer?
a) Noticing if i fold correctly
b) Trying to figure it out if am i reckless/playing correctly while betting/calling/all-in.
c) When i loose the hand - did i played correctly and lost because of bad beat or weak luck?

Are these goals enough for beginner or i do need much more?

------------
3. The best way to analyse the games is to post hands on zoom and watch later or post zoom videos in the forums asking advice?

Any other things to paying attention to or trying? It seems calculating outs is too big of a task right now

Goals...well the key is are these goals something you feel you can achieve.

Do you know what you need to do to meet your goals.

Do you have a time period in mind to work on your goals.

If the answer to these is yes then they are a good start.

You need a plan of how to achieve your goals not just goals.

Cavet - Like JWK I am not a great goal setter myself, however I am trying to improve.

my current attent can be seen here.

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...ss-for-Grade-b

others have 2014 and 2013 goals up and you ca browse through them.

Grade b

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Jan 21, 2014, 01:13 PM
(#13)
Big thanks for some thoughts on goals. They are important.
I made some goals and i feel i improved 10 times! In 2days.

1. Is it illegal to post boom hands?

Old
Tue Jan 21, 2014, 01:26 PM
(#14)
Boom hands are allowed.

here is a thread on boom hands in the forum

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...highlight=boom

Grade b

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Jan 21, 2014, 03:45 PM
(#15)
Another short questions which is nowhere to be found as explanation!
I dont want to bother with novice questions

There are hold'em tables with buy-in $0.80 - $5

1. And as a beginner im confused, do i pay 5usd and if later i lose my all chips i lose that $5?
2. Can i rebuy chips at that table without losing those $5?
3. How should i know the table charges me $5 or just $0.80?
4. I sometimes have jumpy internet connection. If i get disconnected i do lose buy-in after that completely?

P.S. i never tried zoom either.. Looks even more complicated.

5. Tournament title has "bronzestar 20FPP..." in there.

Does that mean only bronzestar players can enter there? Or is bronzestar is the minimum required to enter the tournament?

6. How cool are time tournaments? (im just curious)

Old
Tue Jan 21, 2014, 04:44 PM
(#16)
Quote:
Another short questions which is nowhere to be found as explanation!
I dont want to bother with novice questions

There are hold'em tables with buy-in $0.80 - $5

1. And as a beginner im confused, do i pay 5usd and if later i lose my all chips i lose that $5?
2. Can i rebuy chips at that table without losing those $5?
3. How should i know the table charges me $5 or just $0.80?
4. I sometimes have jumpy internet connection. If i get disconnected i do lose buy-in after that completely?

P.S. i never tried zoom either.. Looks even more complicated.

5. Tournament title has "bronzestar 20FPP..." in there.

Does that mean only bronzestar players can enter there? Or is bronzestar is the minimum required to enter the tournament?

6. How cool are time tournaments? (im just curious)
1. These are cash tables also know as ring tables, those chips are cash. If you lose them then yes you have lost that money.

2. You can buy more chips up to the Table maximum buy in. so the minimum is 80c but you can add to that at any point (will only show at end of a hand though) up to $5 if you have $6 in front of you you could not add more.

3. you will be asked how much you want to sit done with when you select a seat to sit at.....I strongly recommend trying some play money tables to get the hang of some of ways that the tables work.

4. if you are in a hand you will lose money invested in that pot but not the money in your stack in a cash game BUT in a tournament (MTT) you will slowly lose all of your chips.

5. Bronzestar or above (I'm 99%) on this one.

6. Don't like Timed tournys personally but then i have not played lots of them. I would recomend sticking with one type of game to get to know the software and poker in general.

Don't worry all good questions...PSO did have a beginners training series a while back that walked players through these kinds of questions I do not know if there were recorded Maybe Royal Raise or JWK know.

Grade b

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Jan 22, 2014, 12:42 PM
(#17)
What would be the best way to analyse my tournaments i participate?

This site has good stats that are in beta and they do calculate only specific tournaments. Any simple tools to watch my performance? I watched holdem manager but its way too complicated and im not sure i need that much info.

I would like to find something similar to this website stats(beta). They are the way i like. Any ideas?

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com