Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

16nl fr am I committed

Old
16nl fr am I committed - Sat Jan 18, 2014, 07:44 AM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2013

Villian was 35/14/11 am I pot committed on the river, do I have to call. Once again calling a river shove has cost me money.Do I have to learn to fold and save my money.

Last edited by tonydolphin; Sat Jan 18, 2014 at 08:30 AM..

Old
Sat Jan 18, 2014, 08:20 AM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Says no data found...

Double Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Jan 18, 2014, 08:30 AM
(#3)
Sorry try that now I deleted it out of the player by mistake

Old
Sat Jan 18, 2014, 08:54 AM
(#4)
Since: Jan 2013
I would bet bigger on all streets and shove the river.

Old
Sat Jan 18, 2014, 11:14 AM
(#5)
Since: Sep 2012
What mike said with particular importance on the river action.

Old
Sat Jan 18, 2014, 01:24 PM
(#6)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydolphin View Post

Villian was 35/14/11 am I pot committed on the river, do I have to call. Once again calling a river shove has cost me money.Do I have to learn to fold and save my money.
You are never pot comitted until you are all in, so of course you do not "have to" call the river. By the same token though, you do not "have to" make decisions which will lead you to being a profitable poker player either...

In this spot, with the info you provide, I would think there are plenty of chances this opponent might simply be over valuing his hand strength in relation to yours, or might be trying some wierd river bluff. Of course sometimes he will have backed into a luck box flush as well, but that doesn't matter. What matters is that given your hand's strength the overall RANGE of hands the opponent might act this way on are at a severe disadvantage. If you try to play poker on "feelings" that are not backed up by some rational explanation, some valid reasoning, sometimes you WILL make a "correct" fold and save some money...

...but far more often you will make a mistake and cost yourself not only the money you MIGHT have won with a call, but also cost yourself ANY chance at getting back what you;ve already put into the pot.

Double Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Jan 18, 2014, 10:00 PM
(#7)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi tony,

Preflop looks fine... on a fairly wet flop I think we should be sizing our c-bet much larger than 1/3rd pot I would bet more like 2.75 here. If we do that, there will be 9.24 in the pot on the turn and we can overbet shove, or bet like half our stack and get it in on the river.

As played I would always call his shove. Firstly with only 9 behind and a 14.40 pot I would simply bet all in. If the villain is capable of bluffing you might check to induce bluffs since all the flopped draws missed. The very small bet you made into this pot may still induce a bluff from a busted draw, or if he has the case king make him think it's good. The downside is the case king is the Ks, but if he has a spade side card and went back door flush on us, I'm just going to pay the man on this one.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Jan 18, 2014, 10:51 PM
(#8)
Not sure why I bet so little on this flop. I normally bet between 1/2 pot(on dry boards) to 3/4 pot(wet board) villian showed up with K9s made flush. Hope to meet this player again.

Old
Sun Jan 19, 2014, 12:42 PM
(#9)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Hope to meet this player again.
For the record, I think villains preflop play was pretty terrible... min-raising UTG with K9s in full ring is pretty spewy, and with a poster behind him no less, and calling the big 3b is even worse, he's always dominated here.

Post flop is a different story. I've no doubt this villain is capable of making plenty of post flop mistakes given his preflop play, but he didn't make any here imo.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jan 19, 2014, 04:40 PM
(#10)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Not sure why I bet so little on this flop. I normally bet between 1/2 pot(on dry boards) to 3/4 pot(wet board) villian showed up with K9s made flush. Hope to meet this player again.
I was actually thinking AKs or KQ. K9s seriously?

Double Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com