Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Live Game Sweats and Online Tournaments / Skill League /

Skill League , really ?

Old
Skill League , really ? - Sat Jan 18, 2014, 05:58 PM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2009
BronzeStar
While i thank you for the chance to play for no entry fee enough is enough as there is a limit to just how many computers iam tempted to throw out the window . I defy anyone to say they learn anything from the poker school open , i have heard it said that u learn patience and while on the surface that might seem an argument with at least some merit a closer look leaves u with a bigger question , is learning patience such a valuable lesson when in reality what it is teaching u is this ( and if u dont believe me look at anyof the players in the top 40 ) run down the clock and fold absolutely everything in the hope u might , with favorable table balancing , make the points , so my question is this , is patience such a worhwwhile lesson to be learned when u are folding premium hole cards continually because u know as soon as u play a hand as u would in a real poker game then ur premium hand gets raped by a wide variety of garbage .
While i appreciate this is a free game and we should be grateful for that and iam but is advertised also as a place of learning and from what i see anyone in the open believing that is in for a real shock and a drastically lower bank balance if ever they venture out into real poker games

Old
Sat Jan 18, 2014, 06:28 PM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
***Moved to Skill League Forum***

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Jan 18, 2014, 08:11 PM
(#3)
Since: Aug 2010
Kinda similar to lisbonbhoys previous post.

I got Déjà vu reading this one.

Old
Sat Jan 18, 2014, 09:53 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
i have an idea...

if it tilts you do not play it.
it is what it is

trite but true...any game is expoltatable if you study it

you adapt or moan....

I am playing in the pso games at the moment and getting moans that I am the worst player ever ..why? because i'm play other than ABC play speculative hands and when it works i'm a plonker...had 2 playerssay they do not respect my play this series which makes me very happy.

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Jan 29, 2014, 08:51 PM
(#5)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Putting people on tilt is a skill and it would appear that there are a great many exponents on the open skill league circuit. However the first ten minutes usually gets shot of 40% of the field so after that the play does get more realistic. I play live as well as online and have found the patience aspect to have helped my live game considerably.

Old
Thu Jan 30, 2014, 08:17 AM
(#6)
Since: May 2012
In a few days this will all be over, I can't wait for it myself =) Now you are qualified for the next league(higher division), you get some free money, and you will be able to compete for greater prizes. If you are smart you will read about bankroll management and use the money that you've won responsible and you can start playing some real poker! You are getting 5dollars, if you start grinding those .25 45man - you'll have 20buy ins, that's not alot, so maybe you have some more dollars, I don't know? The point is you are getting there mate, yes I agree this leauge has been frustrating, but I've learned a lot, not this month - but my first months playing. The fact that you are under the impression that you wont learn anything is either you not being willing to learn, or you not being able to. Choose which of them you think fits the best.

You have a lot of room during the tournaments to open up a poker article and read about something new. You could play the Hubble freeroll aswell trying to apply what you've learned. Next month in the Premier Skill League there will be more "poker", however you are still playing in a league, so the bubbles becomes bigger in a sense. But do your best to improve your score in this league, and maybe make 20dollars + the 5dollars you get now and you'll have a good bankroll to start grinding the lowest stakes and getting ready to move up.

I totally agree with you that this isn't poker, what you're playing right now, but think long term - and good luck!

Old
Thu Jan 30, 2014, 08:29 AM
(#7)
Since: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarekGG View Post
In a few days this will all be over, I can't wait for it myself =) Now you are qualified for the next league(higher division), you get some free money, and you will be able to compete for greater prizes. If you are smart you will read about bankroll management and use the money that you've won responsible and you can start playing some real poker! You are getting 5dollars, if you start grinding those .25 45man - you'll have 20buy ins, that's not alot, so maybe you have some more dollars, I don't know? The point is you are getting there mate, yes I agree this leauge has been frustrating, but I've learned a lot, not this month - but my first months playing. The fact that you are under the impression that you wont learn anything is either you not being willing to learn, or you not being able to. Choose which of them you think fits the best.

You have a lot of room during the tournaments to open up a poker article and read about something new. You could play the Hubble freeroll aswell trying to apply what you've learned. Next month in the Premier Skill League there will be more "poker", however you are still playing in a league, so the bubbles becomes bigger in a sense. But do your best to improve your score in this league, and maybe make 20dollars + the 5dollars you get now and you'll have a good bankroll to start grinding the lowest stakes and getting ready to move up.

I totally agree with you that this isn't poker, what you're playing right now, but think long term - and good luck!
Quoted for truth.

This kind of attitude is so refreshing to see. The OSL is whatever you make of it. You can try out different strategies or grind out results. In the long term if you play well, even in a league structure, you should still be able to make top 500 and if not, use the simplified strategy to get there safely without troubling yourself too much.

To OP, you are quite high up in the league so I'm not sure what the issue is; you are going to receive $5 so just count that as a win and move on.

Best wishes,
Snufkin_P

Last edited by Snufkin_P; Thu Jan 30, 2014 at 08:33 AM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com