Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

2NL 6-max 89s facing river shove

Old
2NL 6-max 89s facing river shove - Sun Jan 19, 2014, 04:13 AM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2013
I find this hand interesting and I am wondering if my play on the river was correct

V_1: VPIP:19 PRF:11 AF:3 AFq:53

The hand is 5-handed.
I opt to play 89s from UTG. This I rarely do but I try to mix it up. I limp
V_1 makes it 3x and I call as we are both deep enough

I hit bottom 2 on the flop and decide to check-raise
V_1 is nice enough to C-bet so I re-raise and get called

As I don't expect villain to bet on the turn, I lead myself and get flat called

The river gives possible flush but I am not too worried so I lead out for a value bet

Villain shoves. What should I do ?

Old
Sun Jan 19, 2014, 10:30 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2011
(Live Trainer)
Hey betsizer,

first things first, I think you should be either raising or folding preflop. Having a limping range with weak hands like that opens your game up against aggressive players utilizing thier position on you. In some games it can pay off if you expect to get paid huge postflop when you make your hands, but usually initiative and forcing people behind you to fold are too big advantages of raising.

As played I like your line, you can get good value from Ax and draws OTF and OTT. The river is close but I think you have a valuebet against Ax. Once villain shoves you can safely fold here expecting to see flushes or better 2 pair a lot.

Live Trainer

Old
Mon Jan 20, 2014, 01:21 PM
(#3)
Since: Dec 2013
thank you for your point of view.
I will consider raising there.
I just like to mix it up and sometimes (very rare) will limp a very strong hand as well.
Appreciate the positive feedback and will try to learn from it as usual

Old
Mon Jan 20, 2014, 08:22 PM
(#4)
Since: Sep 2010
The best way of mixing up your play is to limp less and fold/raise more

Fold more in early position and raise wider in late position, particularly the button.

Old
Tue Jan 21, 2014, 03:56 AM
(#5)
Since: Feb 2011
Looks a lot like AK, or some AdXd.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com