Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

Playing against different styles

Old
Playing against different styles - Sun Jan 19, 2014, 11:51 AM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2012
Hi,
Here's my thinking:
Most people seem to say that its best to play the opposite style to who your playing against, so against a loose passive, its best to be tag.
If that's the case, then against a loose aggressive/slightly maniac, its better to be tight but a bit more passive side to let him put his money in when you've got him beat and not scare him off.
Against a tight player, its better to be slightly looser, steal his blinds and bet when he's more likely missed the flop (lower cards/flush draws).
That's what seems to make sense to me anyway, am I wrong?
Otherwise, against a tag player, you would need to tighten up even more, which means purely high pairs/AK, but doing so probably wont get you much. On the other hand, playing suited cards/connectors/small pairs and hitting flushes/straights/trips against his high cards could pay off big time. My question is, if its even a question, your then playing the way they want you to play which is more profitable for them, hence viscous circle....
So is it better to tighten up even more, or try and hit those rarer hands?
Obviously you could always avoid them, but at higher limits when you need to play against better players your going to need to learn to play against them.
Is my thinking right or am I way off the mark?
Thanks

Old
Sun Jan 19, 2014, 02:52 PM
(#2)
Since: Feb 2011
Against a TAG a LAG style works but so does a tighter aggressive style. I'm a TAG but can play laggy when I want, I know what puts me out of my comfort zone but I've learned to deal with it. If you face a TAG then float a lot more, TAGs like to take pots down with either the best hand or without a showdown. Float and bluff them a lot more but if you can't shake them off then don't invest any more chips.

You're right about playing opposite but think laterally at times. A calling station will call to the river hoping to hit but you can bluff them off bottom pair if you bet the river and their chasing a gutshot. Board textures and hand ranges are so important. It's a fine art knowing whether they can or will fold so stats and notes are so important.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jan 19, 2014, 03:11 PM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2011
It's a bit like rock/paper/scissors.

LAG beats nit (because the nit folds to aggressive actions).
Nit beats calling stations (by value-betting big hands and not bluffing).
Calling station beats LAG (by calling down vs bluffs).

A TAG is harder to exploit, since he/she is neither too loose or too tight, or too passive or too aggreessive.
You don't have to deviate much from a TAG style to gain an edge on other players. Against players that fold too often (nits), you can bluff and steal a little more often. Against calling stations, you should limit your bluffs and just bet for value. Against LAGs, turn yourself into a station (when you have a hand) and let them spew off their chips.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jan 19, 2014, 04:32 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
The contrarian "adjustment" works well properly employed. Initially you should consider it as adjustments to your normal style. As you become more comfortable it's time to broaden your adjustments. After some practice you will become quite comfortable.

GO 49ers!

Old
Mon Jan 20, 2014, 04:21 AM
(#5)
Since: Sep 2012
Thanks for the help (and being able to understand the question )
It seems a calling station on the river will rarely fold if hes after a draw but hes hit a pair, I think my game already has too many bluffs in it, my red line is gradually increasing, while my blue is going the opposite way (the opposite to what most tags seem to have, and my overall is following it).

Last edited by tfcoulson; Mon Jan 20, 2014 at 04:24 AM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com