Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

5NL Reg Table, 6 max, 3bet pot deep stacked

Old
5NL Reg Table, 6 max, 3bet pot deep stacked - Mon Jan 20, 2014, 06:39 PM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2012
This is a hand I played yesterday, it played out shortly after I had lost a stack with set over set, a hand that played out as I also lost with AA v QQ AIPF. That's relevant I think because I was something like 5 BI down, a position I hate being in, so potentially a little unnerved at the time.

I dont want to go into my usual long spiel about every little thought I had at the time but will add a little colour as I feel it is required.

I've posted the other players stat line below. Given the action pre flop, flop and turn, I felt that he was very strong on the turn if not before. He folds to 60% of 3bets.

I think, given how deep we are, how TAg/Nit his stats are, that his range will be pocket pairs 88+ big suited connected cards including suited aces.

When he raises turn, I think I can narrow his range to 88/TT or a turned flush mostly, his click back is ominous looking.

Should I have folded turn and saved myself some money? He gave a great price but I was, in my estimation, drawing thin, possibly looking for a K to arrive, and only the K of spades really. Even if it arrives I am still dead to a flush anyway.

River is just so clear a fold, right?

My mind is kind of melted at the minute.

Seat 2: Player2 ( $14.11 USD ) - VPIP: 14, PFR: 11, 3B: 4, AF: 1.8, Hands: 320

Good news is I finished $0.26c in profit after 7 hours at the tables

Old
Mon Jan 20, 2014, 08:39 PM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2011
As you said it's either flush or sets. Folding on turn is the best play.

If you decide to draw and catch your card it won't be always good as you loose versus nut flushes.

Gl on the future hands!

Old
Mon Jan 20, 2014, 08:42 PM
(#3)
Since: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoylegend View Post
This is a hand I played yesterday, it played out shortly after I had lost a stack with set over set, a hand that played out as I also lost with AA v QQ AIPF. That's relevant I think because I was something like 5 BI down, a position I hate being in, so potentially a little unnerved at the time.

I dont want to go into my usual long spiel about every little thought I had at the time but will add a little colour as I feel it is required.

I've posted the other players stat line below. Given the action pre flop, flop and turn, I felt that he was very strong on the turn if not before. He folds to 60% of 3bets.

I think, given how deep we are, how TAg/Nit his stats are, that his range will be pocket pairs 88+ big suited connected cards including suited aces.

When he raises turn, I think I can narrow his range to 88/TT or a turned flush mostly, his click back is ominous looking.

Should I have folded turn and saved myself some money? He gave a great price but I was, in my estimation, drawing thin, possibly looking for a K to arrive, and only the K of spades really. Even if it arrives I am still dead to a flush anyway.

River is just so clear a fold, right?

My mind is kind of melted at the minute.

Seat 2: Player2 ( $14.11 USD ) - VPIP: 14, PFR: 11, 3B: 4, AF: 1.8, Hands: 320

Good news is I finished $0.26c in profit after 7 hours at the tables
I think you could have saved money by folding the turn. You are getting a good price, but not a good enough price.

Obviously by folding the river you clearly understand what the value range is that your opponent is representing. So I would just say, put that understanding into effect a street earlier!

Old
Tue Jan 21, 2014, 05:34 AM
(#4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarethC23 View Post
I think you could have saved money by folding the turn. You are getting a good price, but not a good enough price.

Obviously by folding the river you clearly understand what the value range is that your opponent is representing. So I would just say, put that understanding into effect a street earlier!
Yeah, this is probably a serious leak in my game, I need to learn to fold a street earlier in these situations. Kind of depressing that I do this so often. Really need to cut it out.

Thanks guys.

Old
Tue Jan 21, 2014, 01:01 PM
(#5)
Since: Jan 2013
If were on the BU here with A high flush is there any good reason to flat the turn barrel on this low type of flop in a 3bet pot?

The only hand the BU can get value from by raising is sets which is unlikely for hero to have vs this nit who opened 4x on BU so all we do is fold out heroes OP and gain no value what so ever but we can still get another bet out of him on the river and we might even cooler him if another club rolls off.

Where if the board was KxxQ or whatever he has more sets now so we can raise our flush for value on the turn.

Old
Tue Jan 21, 2014, 01:12 PM
(#6)
We're very deep stacked here. If he has the nuts and wants to get all the money in he has to raise before another flush card comes off on the river and kills his action. Any A kills his action unless he puts me on precisely some combination of AK or AA. He has to have been running a HUD. We ran up over 300 hands against each other on that day alone over only a couple of tables. He knows my range is likely JJ+ and AKs/o by the turn as I'm not that much looser than him.

I should have got away on turn but I'm guessing he thought he was getting a lot more than he did and that I wouldn't fold KK on an all undercard board.

Old
Tue Jan 21, 2014, 03:28 PM
(#7)
Since: Jan 2013
Thats just it though what are you stacking off with on that turn in a 3bet pot, im guessing the only hand you can really call a raise with is an OP with a club and even then if you dont have the Ac your not gonna be very comfortable with stacking off with anything but the Ac on a 4th club river for 300bb.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com